TR workouts coming to the Hammerhead Karoo?

Hey Hammerhead owners… just a PSA

While we wait for outside workouts to be integrated, just a reminder that its super easy to make outside workouts for the HH in a ZWO factory creator. Once you get the hang of it, takes me 5 min or less to create the workout, upload to the Dashboard, and then go for a ride.

I am not saying that its as easy as the Garmin and Wahoo… But it is an alternative while we wait. I do not do that many outdoor workouts (not a deal breaker for me) but this works well in the meantime. I just change the scheduled workout to outdoors and they get associated,.

Here is the a post from @guyc
guyc

Jan 27

Karoo lets you import FIT or ZWO format files via their dashboard with the latest release.

It’s a minor pain but it’s really not that hard to use something like https://zwofactory.com/ to recreate a TR workout.

6 Likes

+1 Here too. Come on TR!!

5 Likes

+1 Please :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@IvyAudrain Alex mentioned Hammerhead helped him out doing workouts on the recent podcast, was that an announcement or is he not using TR workouts on the Hammerhead? :smile: :innocent: :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Yeah, what kitenski said. I just finished listening to TR episode #372 and at about 19:10 in Alex mentions using Hammerhead to help him stay in a power range that I assume is in an outside workout? And then, at about 19:55 in Chad gives Hammerhead “kudos for recognizing that”… focusing on the middle of the power range. So, heck yeah, what gives? Are Alex and Chad using Hammerhead to do outside workouts? And, how are they doing that? Sounds really exciting! I would love to know how, and start using my Hammerhead Karoo2 to do TrainerRoad outside workouts.

3 Likes

(Likely) Not TR workouts :ok_hand:.

1 Like

I believe you have to understand getting external riders is a good added value.
I don’t think guys like Alex or Keegan use the TR plans. I’ve seen MVDP using TR, sure he isn’t on the TR plan. A nice feature is that you can use the TR platform with your own workouts like I do. My coach adds them in TrainingPeaks and I use TR to execute them. So is Alex using TR? Yes…and no.

1 Like

Yup I get that, they’d also be the first to try out new things…so I continue to live in hope :smiley:

1 Like

You are correct, not TR workouts.

Chad just giving kudos.

2 Likes

Alex was very helpful when I asked him about this on Strava a few months back upon delivery of my Karoo 2. I understand he builds his workouts in TrainingPeaks and imports that way.

1 Like

TrainingPeaks might be in need of a UI remodel, but the workout builder is great. Laptop or desktop required.

1 Like

Hi all, just received my HH2, and very impressed sofar. Ditched the Garmin 820 in the hope that TR & HH get their ducks in a row very soon.

Is there any way to push TR Indoor workouts to HH…?

Theres many comments for outside workouts but id like to see the TR workout through the HH unit instead of on my phone screen.

Lets have a regular progress update please @IvyAudrain

1 Like

Still love my HH2

push workouts - no

but I will post this again - its not from me but I use this when I do outside workouts

guyc

Jan 27

Karoo lets you import FIT or ZWO format files via their dashboard with the latest release.

It’s a minor pain but it’s really not that hard to use something like https://zwofactory.com/ to recreate a TR workout.

@MikeMckinney thanks for the reply to my enquiry. I’ll take a look at ZWO factory to experiment with Indoor workout sessions uploaded to HH2.

With SRAM having bought HH plus Israel Startup Nation with Froome-dog also adding their backing to HH, I’d like to think that TR’s priority list has HH not only on the plan but is also actively being worked on.
Let’s all keep the messages going in to TR team as I see HH as a real contender alongside Garmin & Wahoo offerings

1 Like

I’ll be sure to provide a progress update when available, but we are in a similar ‘holding pattern’ while this integration still involves some work from both Hammerhead and TRs side.

For the sake of transparency and setting realistic expectations, this won’t be a ‘soon’ timeline for this feature. Thanks for your patience.

3 Likes

@IvyAudrain
Thankyou Ivy for your informative reply.
Im sure there are many HH users who will also be pleased to have a contiued dialogue with you at TR. Please continue to schedule further updates routinely to the HH community, your (TR) communications are a one of the noteable benefits/strengths of TR that we truly appreciate.
Could there be a feature added to the TR podcast too on the HH topic with respect to completing workouts indoors & outdoors.
Best regards.

2 Likes

Just want to clarify your question: do you mean a podcast discussion topic on ‘best practices’ for using TrainerRoad with a Hammerhead head unit for now/while there isn’t integration?

2 Likes

@IvyAudrain
I’m sure there may be a rich vein of material to bring to the podcast, HammerHead and trainingPeaks appear to be the goto ensemble of structured training software to couple with the Hammerhead unit.
In order to preserve loyal Trainerroad members/subscriptions a discussion topic on best ways to perform a TR workout via the HH may be beneficial whilst the long road of development of TR with HH unfurls.
Typical outdoor riding via the HH is straightforward, but performing a Workout via the HH involves recreating a workout via third-party applications. If like me users are reluctant to dabble with even more training applications, the TR team may be able to offer some guidance to HH users.
Over to your excellent team of boffins.
thanks again for your willingness to discuss the topic. Keep up the high standards at TR

2 Likes

A temporary option would be for TR to make .FIT files of workouts downloadable. These can then be dragged and dropped into the Hammerhead dashboard?

That should be relatively straightforward but there is the prospect of proprietary workouts doing the rounds on the internet.

1 Like

… but there is the prospect of proprietary workouts doing the rounds on the internet.

True. However, I feel as if the Plan Builder + Adaptive Training combo is now where the true value of TR as a training platform arises. The workouts themselves are almost a loss leader. The workouts are a high quality product. But Plan Builder, Adaptive Training, Automatic FTP, etc… are the chef’s kiss. The white glove service. That’s what I am paying for.

4 Likes