TR Running Thread 2024

I’m curious how the long bike/long run weekend feels. I always wondered what this would do for fitness but never tried it myself. Seems like a good plan - shorter speed with low overall training load during the week then a long run/ride on the weekends. Looks like its going well!

1 Like

Classic me… three weeks out from a race where I was going to shoot for a 1h20 half (Gent Half Marathon) and I’ve got a likely stress fracture in my shin (undiagnosed for now). Pretty disappointed, but looking at the positives… I’ll have around 10 hours a week back in my schedule, less spending on groceries, and considerably less washing to do. :neutral_face: :lying_face:

The long and long actually works out quite well for me. On Tuesday, where I need to be sharpest, I have a rest day behind me. On Saturdays, I do a 3hr ride, which really doesn’t effect my ability to run that much the next day. Also, as off now, a long run for me is still sub 90 minutes, so it‘s more challenging for my core to maintain stability, than it is for my cardio vascular system really.

1 Like

I really empathize with your trying to maintain cycling fitness. Its hard to let it go even if it takes away from the weekly running mileage

Agree - I’m really missing my bike right now - good luck to you :frowning:

Fwiw, a sub 18 is an indicator of a sub 3 marathon if you put enough long runs and tempo blocks in.

1 Like

While that‘d be great, I am currently quite far away from even contemplating that. Rn, I am closing in a sub 1:45h half. I‘ll see from there :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I ran a 1:37:45 Half Marathon in training on Sunday which was a PR by about a minute. Never raced a HM, maybe later in the year.

4 Likes

It’s been a hectic past several weeks with lots going on personally and with work. Still, I’ve managed to get decent volume in since my last check-in.

I got through first block with a focus on building volume and a bit of speed in hopes to running a ‘fast’ 5k. Block consisted of 3 week build (60 ish miles) and one down week. I then introduced threshold work going into the second block. Last week was the third week which finished with a 5k. I averaged closer to 70 miles a week for the past three weeks.

I wasn’t quite sure what to expect going into the 5k. I had just over 50 miles in the legs before the start and two ‘high’ mileage weeks before… I ran the same race last year where I PR’d (16:40) but knew I wasn’t in PR shape. I felt good enough to maybe sneak right under 17 the conditions; mid 30’s and 20+ mph winds. Self-sabotage maybe?

Anyway, I ran a 17:15. Finished 3rd overall and 1st Masters. Not what I wanted but finishing place tells me the conditions were a struggle for everyone. Not the finish time I hoped but such is racing.

This week starts my next down week and trying to focus on end goal versus panicking and changing the plan going forward.

6 Likes

Still that is a great result.

1 Like

62:46 for 10 miles this morning in the Tarpley 10 race in Suffolk UK - nice day but roads still have flooded sections from our crap warmish but wet winter weather…better than my recent 10k efforts and finished 16th out of 351 and won the vet 55-59 prize. Ok I have run 4 minutes quicker on this course but that was when I didn’t ride and was er…younger. Maybe a half marathon before bike racing starts…will give the water tables of East Anglia a chance to fall and I was always better at the longer distances :thinking: :grin:

4 Likes

Looking for half tight recommendation for my upcoming marathon.
A friend just got lululemons and he likes them…

have read good things about rabbit and bandit.

TIA!

I wear rabbit now almost exclusively. Great fit and back pocket. They are really good, but not without things I would change. Fabric is a bit thicker than necessary. I would prefer the thigh pockets to be at hip level. Also, like many brands, they put the draw string on the inside of the waist band rather than the outside, which is dumb.

1 Like

2XU are awesome if you want more compressive tights

1 Like

Janji tights work well for me, especially if you like carrying stuff on your runs.

1 Like

I always wore and still do run in Skins - that said they were great when still owned/made in Australia - the brand has now been sold and the quality has decreased a bit. I recently got 2 pairs of half tights and a pair of tights very cheap from Sports shoes.com - the quality isn’t what it was but for what I paid they were a bargain. Still have an old pair of the tights and they are better but these new ones are ok for 10-20 quid!

1 Like

I don’t have access to Bandit here, but all friends stateside rave about them. I’m only recently getting into half-tights myself for some runs. So far I’ve only tried Nike Dri-Fit Pro. One pocket on each leg. No liner. I like them.

1 Like

I think I’m going with rabbit and will also get their Boston color singlet that looks :fire:

1 Like

I am not at all sure my marathon training is going to plan :grimacing:

I’m 9 weeks in to my 15 week plan which is the second week of the “peak” phase and I am absolutely broken.

I’m so sick of running and I feel slower.

Some of my cycling friends who run say this is normal, that I just need to get through the fatigue and that I won’t feel strong and ready to go for my marathon until my taper.

Is that true?

Cumulative fatigue is an important part of some marathon training philosophies. There are entire plans built around the concept of getting you tired and not letting you fully recover for a while.

1 Like