TR Running Thread 2021

Thanks for the reply, super useful! Unfortunately, while I was on holiday and fearing I would pack up some weight while my diet was suboptimal, I ran way too much and am now sidelined with a stress fracture in my third metatarsal… One day I’ll learn my lesson!

More running fitness coming back!

Felt good today running 2x2 miles at 7.10 mpm… Although this is again, much slower than when I used to do 13.1 miles at 6.15 mpm… :sob:

4 Likes

I am sure if you were just running and nothing else you could get much closed to your 6:15

2 Likes

Probably… Those times were when I was mostly running, with cycling as a for fun/recovery.

I would be very very happy if I could get to mid to high 6 on tempo runs while training for HIM.

Will see…

It’s looking good…nice one.

In my best regular running days I could do 6 miles in 48 minutes (approx8mpm)…never got near that 40 minute mark I set myself. . Can only dream of figures in 7mpm and 6 mpm for a half. Know I was never built for running, even less so now as I’m probably carrying another 10kgs+ from those days.

In my basic training days I did run a 1.5mile in 8.07 (5.24mpm). Never been that light or fit since.

1 Like

It’s autumn and it’s my annual shall-I-give-it-all-up-and-just-do-running? phase again. Inevitably I start lifting or a TR plan and/or set some swimming goals…:man_facepalming:

2 Likes

hahaha I get it. I dislike going to the pool (as it is used a lot) even though it is close where I live I have only been cycling for the past year. Been great really and love it.

Finally getting back to running which I have missed (especially trail running) and have my weight setup finally so I can get to 3 days of lifting. So for me cycling #1, running & lifting #2. Never could just do running as I love cycling so much.

1 Like

TR SS workout tonight, still doing this working week on low impact stuff or rest… promising myself a long run on Saturday as reward as I’m missing hitting those trails.

Planning a route on the canals that are close by, plenty of waterholes (pubs) on those trails if things go south :crazy_face: and it’ll be a change running on mainly flats for miles & miles…

1 Like

Been in that phase for a couple of months now. The weather will bring me back inside to the trainer pretty soon, headlamp season is starting, and all the rain we didn’t have this summer is now falling.

Found a 10k race (a real one!) first weekend of October, that’s now the target.

1 Like

Fancying some new challenges right now, Gravel bike on the way and decided to do some running. Figured I would do this right, got fitted up for some shoes at a well respected shop, 6 runs in so far (not that far!) so good.

All start and end with a 5 minute walk and finish.

Day 1 Sunday: 2 minutes easy pace x 8 (2 min walk recoveries)
Day 2 Tuesday: 2 x 3 minutes + 6 x 2 minutes easy (2 min walk recoveries)
Day 3 Thursday: 3,5,3,5,4 minutes easy (2 min walk recoveries)
Day 4 Saturday: 1 x 3 + 5 x 5 minutes easy (2 min walk recoveries)
Day 5 Monday: 4 minutes then 3 x 8 minutes easy (2 min walk recoveries)
(today) Day 6 Wednesday: 3 x 10 minutes easy (3 min walk recoveries)
Day 7 Friday: 20 minutes easy (planned)

I’d just tested my FTP prior to starting (312w, 4.65 w/kg at 67kg) so although my volume had been a bit lower of late I came into the running pretty fit. Just need to focus on not doing too much too fast.

I have been running “easy” at around 8m45s (per mile) pace, I am not sure if this is too fast or not? It just feels like a natural pace. My heart rate today on the 3 x 10’s went up to 149-150bpm (it’s very hot here, terrain not flat but nothing more than 3-4% gradient in parts. Max HR cycling is 195BPM.

Aims, to move through the distances, hopefully to a marathon next year if the body holds up! Time wise, I’d like to be under 40 for a 10k, around 1:30 for a half, marathon I have no idea.

Feel like I should do this for a couple of months and then start thinking about speed work / hills?

1 Like

Can you keep your mouth closed for the duration of the run without snorting like a bull?

Whilst running at that pace, I can hold a conversation with myself and not scaring the local cows so I’d have to say yes! The thing is, the intervals I am doing are still very short, I think I’ll know more about what easy feels like from my longest run on Friday.

You want to get to below 40mins on 10k, so let’s assume you’re at 42-ish now, which would give you a VDOT of 49 according to Daniels. The recommended “easy” pace would be 8:05-9:06 per mile. You’re in the ballpark.

HR-wise, easy pace should be at or below 75% of max, some coaches go up to 78%. Again, you’re in the ballpark.

Fantastic thanks!!

Personally, I stay with easy runs for 4-6 weeks at the beginning of a season, pacing by HR, slowly increasing durations and weekly volume (no more than 10% weekly increase), until I see the pace/HR relationship start to change. Only then do I start adding other types of sessions.

2 Likes

Good stuff…

Your easy sounds good.

I would do a 2 mile TT to really judge your running fitness…
A 5k would probably be better but anything shorter would do too, since you are doing a 10k.

Once you have your time, use a running calculator to see what your paces should be

If your goal is sub 40 that’s 6.20ish per mile. You probably want to start training shorter intervals at faster than that pace. And some miles closer to your 10k pace and tempo… But I would suggest finding that threshold pace so you can train at an appropriate pace …

Thanks, I’m playing it cautiously as of now just to ensure I don’t get any injuries, I’m also having to dial back / balance the bike as well as in these early stages.

Appreciate everyone’s input it’s given me confidence already.

3 Likes

Advice required please.

2 weeks in to the running (3 x per week) and I’m quite surprised by the amount of fatigue it’s causing. I’ve also added in 2x 30 minute strength sessions too (dumbbell shoulder press, db curls, db lateral raise, press-ups), so nothing too heavy and no leg exercises.

As mentioned FTP tested last week (312, 4.6wkg) so in pretty good shape off low volume unstructured training / riding. I’m wondering how best to schedule my week?

I’d like to continue my 3x per week runs (developing this as I go), 6-7 hours of bike time (doesn’t all have to be structured), 2 or 3 x strength sessions (as above).

For the runs I’m doing them on my lunch on Mon/Wed/Fri, I guess once my longer run exceeds 60 minutes that will change but for the next 3 months I should be good.

Every time I get on the bike I feel below par, also having a few lower calf tightness issues (seems fine running) that I’m sure will improve as body adapts so I can channel my inner Goggins and deal with that :joy:

Makes sense to try and have 1, maybe even 2 days off, what do you think?

What your runs look like?

As in pace and he?

Hi

I am doing all my running intervals at a comfortable pace, around 70% HRM. So about 130-145bpm (max cycling HR is 195). That pace (about 8:40 per minute) is not what I’ve targeted it’s just happened.

Mon: 3x8 minutes (2 min walk recs)
Wed: 3x10 mins (3 min walk recs)
Fri: 22 minutes continuous

My plan for this week would be 3x10 twice and then 25 minutes continuous.