TR Feature Suggestion: How motivated are you to train today?

Got to say I’m not a fan of the implementation. I opened the app for the first time in a long time today to do a turbo work and that is not something I want on top of my training screen at 5am - it’s early and I’m just here to train.

They also seem to hang around for a really long time as well (at the begining and the end?), which is annoying and seems purposefully done to be annoying in the hopes you’ll answer. Not great.

I was really happy to see someone point out I can switch it off in the settings

1 Like

Every time I do the motivation question, I chuckle a bit. I’m always highly motivated TO HAVE DONE a ride. :rofl:

1 Like

Personally, I’ve answered every single one with the :grin: option - if I wasn’t highly motivated, I wouldn’t be here in the first place.

3 Likes

I don’t love the motivation survey. As others have alluded to, when I’m deep into a training block, throwing a leg over the top tube at 6am for 90mins of brutal over/unders, I can’t say I’m particularly motivated :joy: I think for me (and likely many other TR users) it’s more a case of discipline as opposed to motivation.

You may not love it, but that interaction you mention is likely key to what they might learn from it. People picking the lower motivation options and still nailing most or all of a workout is an interesting data point. This happening between early or late parts of a training phase are likely relevant as well.

In my limited understanding of AI/ML, it has potential to see and identify patterns that we have difficulty finding on our own. It’s possible TR might learn some relationships that could work their way into Adaptive Training, Red Light / Green Light or other functions that may better direct our training in the long or short term. We just won’t know until they have enough data to apply in their systems and see if there is anything fruitful.

5 Likes

That is a superb point Chad, thanks for that. I should have clarified I do answer the surveys! But I do have a little chuckle each time I’m presented with the :smiley: emoji before my workout!

3 Likes

I got this survey this morning and thought it was great as it is. It was very intuitive. I didn’t need any explanation. I didn’t over-think it.

1 Like

Same here, had my first survey this morning. Didn’t over think it, it’s a recovery week so :expressionless: was my feeling today.

1 Like

I’m almost always a :neutral_face:. I never am particularly excited or demotivated to get on, I just do it because I want to get faster come spring lol. Though there are occasional happy and sad days.

3 Likes

Getting the motivation survey on my iPhone but not my iPad. The setting is enabled on both devices and they are both on latest version of the TR app. Not sure how long I’ve had the survey as I don’t use my phone for running the workouts and only found out today when I accidentally loaded a workout on it.

Assuming it should also be working on my iPad?

I get that you’re watching to see whether and how these correlate, but I gotta say I don’t like it for a couple of reasons.

1. This is not how I want to start my workout, thinking specifically about how motivated I am. I got kitted up, I’m at the bike, I’m ready to try to do the thing. Don’t ask me “are you sure?”
  2. I’ve got survey fatigue. I’m so freaking sick of being asked questions about every interaction with every website and every app I use. I get that this is to improve training, but I just don’t want another interaction when I’m about to start one of the activities I use to escape from all that.

All this apart from the overthinking thing. Most often, the ding to my motivation is that I’m tight for time and worried about the next thing I’m supposed to get to. I’m just trying to put it out of my head. I’m usually happy enough that I managed to get to the bike, so above-neutral, but then taken down a notch again if I’m not ideally situated in my schedule.

Hand on heart, I would say that these emojis have already negatively impacted my workout experience. Semi-relatedly, I tried to watch the recent GCN episode on discomfort during a workout. It didn’t work; having my thoughts drawn to my discomfort again and again shut me down after 4 out of 6 threshold intervals. This is a tiny bit like that; answering the question deducts from my motivation score.

Sorry for what appears to be a bit of a rant… My frustration with survey fatigue is not normally anything to do with TR. I credit TR itself and the podcast with helping me a ton. But no me gusta the preworkout survey.

5 Likes

Personally I don’t think much of it… As a coach I usually ask each of my athletes how they are feeling. Some report a nagging injury, fatigue. Most say, “good” which is the default for the usual season feelings but determined to get the work in. I use that feedback with the athlete to either adjust the workout or keep an eye on things if they struggle later.

Sure AI isn’t an in person coach… and I certainly empathize with survey fatigue. Is there a way to turn it off?

1 Like

Yes you can turn it off.

I think I am going to. It comes up multiple times for me, at the start and again if you go and check or change what devices are connected. Slightly annoying.

3 Likes

I’m blah

1 Like

I think the surveys are good. The point is to make you as fast as possible, not solely to be a workout player. A human coach, which everyone seems to agree is the gold standard, would definitely ask for your objective feedback, so it seems reasonable for TR to do the same.

1 Like

For me this serves no purpose. Thanks for pointing out the ability to turn off.

2 Likes

Lack of motivtion may not be just internal - it may be the expected challenge of the workout (another Ramp test?) Or that this is workout no.2 for the day kparticularly for triathlon plans).

1 Like

The points about actual coaches checking in are certainly fair, but… Even if the data correlates and a useful set of adjustments can be made going forward, it feels messed up to have to say I’m unmotivated because I’ve got a schedule conflict. If the workout was adjusted down, I feel like that’s depriving me of the chance to do the classic “just get on and start pedaling and see if you don’t feel better in ten minutes.”
That actually uncovers the crux; because my “down” days are mostly schedule, winding the intensity down is probably the wrong answer. I need to recognize those and do a shorter Alternate (or TR would need to ask me why I was bleh and twiddle the Time knob instead of the Intensity one, so to speak…)

Oh you can turn if off? Thank God. I’m getting tired of never clicking anything above :neutral_face:
I hate the trainer though :rofl:

2 Likes

To me it’s useless (I’ve turned it off)… A user above nailed it - if I’ve put the effort in to get on the trainer in the first place, I’m there for the work, no need to ask me if I’m sure. The other day I was up at 4:30am to do my workout before work - of course I was motivated, I got out of bed at 4:30am!

I’d rather TR give me a sentence saying ‘bloody hell it’s early, good work getting out of bed!’ during the warm up than a useless survey.

Do you have any science behind the effects of pre-workout surveys on performance? Either reinforcing existing psychological states or reframing to new ones, for better or worse?

2 Likes