Tour de France 2021! (spoilers)

Seems he was not happy with something on his bike and the mechanic adjusted it, he still wasn’t happy and so he then had a meltdown.

Slightly longer version here…

1 Like

Ah, come on, Cav! That was disappointing…

1 Like

Yeah, looked a lot like he had been dealing with some mechanical issue. Disappointing to see him treat the mechanic like that considering how many people have been telling us how incredible of a leader he is all tour.

Hopefully he apologises, gets his bike sorted, and grabs the win and Green on the Champs.

2 Likes

With Mike T of TJV just missing a podium spot today, curious if any team had ever placed every (still standing) team member on a podium of a stage. Too lazy to research but impressive riding by JV, Kuss, WvA and Mike T.

1 Like

Exactly what I was saying up-thread. He’s kind of a temperamental asshole, really always has been. You can see it in every interview he does, even the “I can’t believe I’m here” one that everyone was gushing over. For five minutes last week I thought maybe he had grown as a person. Maybe not so much.

:roll_eyes:

Whatever, Cav.

Hopefully he does two of these things.

1 Like

This would never work. Pog is the strongest climber and the best TT guy between them.

On the flats, if 2-5 decide to do a TTT, all pog has to do is sit behind them as they make themselves tired. Then he would put more time on them.

On the mountain, drafting is minimal, but the only way it would work is if 2-5 take turns attacking without 2-5 reacting. If you notice, when 2nd place guy attacks, not only does pog react, but 3&4 also react because if the attack sticks, they are left out. Because they attack in unison, all of them 1-5, get the same intervals and rests.

As Joe Lindsey pointed, Cav knows his bike…he posted a story when Cav got into it with a mechanic because Cav said his saddle was a degree off adn the mechanic insisted it wasn’t. Cav was right.

Cav has always been a prickly guy, as @tshortt pointed out. He may have mellowed a bit, but it is pretty much his nature regardless.

(I will cut him a very small degree of slack as this appears to be before the stage and I’m sure he was feeling the pressure of potentially breaking the record today…but that still doesn’t give him the right to be an a$$hole.)

Yeah, I don’t disagree with the premise. I have heard the same about him building up his own bikes etc. I just don’t want to see him being an a-hat to a support staff, particularly when all we’ve heard is how amazing he is at lifting every member of the team.

I thought it was post race, I can’t decide if it’s better or worse being pre :man_shrugging:.

He is prickly, he’s looked a lot more mature recently when he was facing his cycling mortality.

Oh, absolutely…please don’t interpret my post to be in any way defending his actions.

1 Like

Critique of Cav’s behavior is valid, I get the frustration especially with so much on the line but definitely over the top

Critique of Mahoric’s hand gestures and trying to draw some weird parallels is beyond ridiculous IMO. Some folks obviously haven’t seen the NFL celebrations or would be triggered for days

2 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRZrJRyLdVQ/?utm_medium=copy_link

He heard the backlash.

2 Likes

The first comment is spot on.

1 Like

I like Cav, obviously a stupid moment. He’s always been a bit of a diva.

But really, if this is the worst behavior that cycling has to offer, this is some PG rated meltdowns :rofl:

(full disclosure I grew up watching McEnroe play tennis)

I don’t think he owes any condescending “fans” anything.

Apple. Orange.

How is criticizing unprofessional behavior “condescending”?

As for Cav, good on him for posting something as quickly as possible and owning up to it.

He doesn’t, but he’s a 36yo man throwing a tantrum like a 3yo.

I’m still a fan, but I can still be disappointed at a childish outburst. I certainly have at other adults in my personal life who I have seen done the same for less (Ie: a hobby sport).

Lance, for all his faults (many), said that’s one thing he’s picked up on Pog vs. himself. I think it was about the first TT stage how Pog had a bike problem leading up to the start… Lance said he would be screaming and throwing stuff, while Pog is just like “cool guys, yeah, get it done”. Then he goes out and hammers it to win.

I remember a friend telling me about a successful rival race car driver to him, who would fall asleep on the grid waiting for the start of the race. I know my best performances are when I’m the most relaxed going into them.

2 Likes

I don’t actually think the Cav outburst was that bad.

I would certainly hope that the mechanic has received an apology but Cav was clearly very angry and he seemed to do the right thing by realising he was blowing up and taking himself off back to the bus.

2 Likes

Ok last day before Paris. Any guesses on who is gonna take 2nd today?

Pogačar. 2nd

Kung for the win.

Bessinger would be up there but was in the break yesterday.

Looks like the early riders will get better conditions then TT#1 where the last riders had the best of the day.

Wout for the win I think

1 Like