To Balance/ Rocker Plate or Not...?

Grrrr…the Saris H3 is at a price almost too tempting not to now (£599). I’m aware of some earlier issues with older stock/ batches, but sorely tempted to give it a go now at this price.

Regarding the H3 and RP’s- seems like a LOT of weight and a LARGE (and asymmetric), leg footprint? Would this particular trainer pose any particular issues with (for example), the Lifeline RP?

The leg issue can be solved by such folding the left leg back to about a 45* angle, then strapping it down. I’ve done this for years with no issue.

Alternatively, I installed with the left leg fully open and then made a spacer between the leg and edge of the deck for support. This worked, but I hated having the leg stick out, so the folded approach above is my preference.

As to weight, you just need a cool counterweight of 10-15 lbs set to the far right for proper balance setup.

Kettlebell storage, or an ammo can full of sand to balance.

1 Like

Well, ProBikeKit dropped the H3 down a squidge more to £575, so I bit LOL. Hoping I get a late manufactured date batch void of some of the “quirks”, I read about…

Started looking at raw materials for possible rocker project. Looking at the 18mm ply, that would alone cost nearly £100 for x2 full-size sheets of ply! That’s half the cost of a Lifeline rocker at current price (£199). Factoring in the cost of other bits of hardware, it’s starting to make more sense just to buy the Lifeline.

1 Like

I went back to a rock n roll. Much more pleasant to use, both resistance and the movement. I have an H2 for specific stuff

1 Like

Can someone maybe tell me the difference between isolators and inflatables- what’s the difference, and which works best?

Pulled from my doc:

Connected Pivot: using something like the rubber vibration isolation mounts:

Floating Plate: Can use something like captured air in a tennis or squash ball, or balls with inflation options (via needle valve in most case)

Get 1 piece of cut plywood from Lowe’s or HD. 4 Tennis balls (2 containers will get you 6).
Done.

That’s all you really need. All in About $25-depending what wood you get and what brand balls you buy.

I was looking at my old Kinetic Rock n Roll languishing in the garage the other day, and got me thinking… has anyone ever tried cannibalising a R&R to make a smart-trainer rocker? By that I mean disassembling the R&R and using the lower base and rubber isolators as a base to…I dunno, mount a cut-to-size/ shape piece of sheet steel (or ply I guess), to mount the trainer on? From what I can see, it’s just the two main bolts that attach the top half to the bottom half via the two isolators.

(I still don’t know where some of you guys are sourcing your plywood. Here in UK, it still seems prohibitively £££ for sheets of the required size).

When I went to adjust the inflation in my rocker plate, I found 1 of the balls was deflating to a certain point. Luckily there are spares I can use…

While I wait for a needle valve to arrive, so that I can dial inflation properly via my track pump (the pump provided with rocker has no guage), I decided it’d be easier to accomplish a level position by forgoing the rocker for a few days.

Wow! After a year of using the rocker I felt far FAR less stable while static on the garage floor - so weird. Pretty horrible, but I managed to get it under control during the 3 hour session! I definitely won’t ever go back though

1 Like

Hahaa…that’s weird! I had a similar feeling when I recently started using my (fixed), H3 I recently got. Odd how I felt I’d lost my balance for a while on the static/ fixed trainer!

2 Likes

IMG_1276

Rock n Roll base with 3/4" plywood. Kickr Core just sits, unanchored on it. I have been using it for about 1-year now with no problems.

1 Like

The short answer to rocker plate is “yes”.
I have a bad hip and knees (old from Rugby) and the plate eliminates (!) the pain I used to have. I suspect this is because it allows the bike to rock side to side and reduce strain on my joints. £199.00 is a reasonable price for the Lifeline.

But if you want to build your own, here are my plans and details. I have built about 20 of these for people and have adapted my design over time to )mostly) match this plan. Note that I have not updated the Amazon links so you may have to shop around to find similar parts.

Good hunting.

4th Gen Isolator rocker plate design.

(Wahoo Kicr and Tacx Neo versions)

NOTES:

A. Metric dual dimensions added as requested. All Euro builders should check their layouts and convert the hardware counterbores and holes to match their metric hardware. Pictures are Gen 2 build so they are different but reflect the overall build. Included just to help visualization.

B. Added my part supply items at bottom of pages

Intro:

After fielding a bunch of new questions on the previous design files I have uploaded the latest 4th gen design to the FILES section of this page, located above, on the left side menu or below the cover image on a tablet. (Look for the names DAA410 and DAA510 in the list or use the link below this text)

There are lots of plate designs and I’m sure many work well. This is what I have been using for 2 complete winter seasons and has helped me to manage hip strain and overall comfort. From October through April, I train 5 days a week on the Kickr. Primarily Trainer Road interval programs with 1 or 2 Zwift races per week and the occasional Zwift ride of 100km. This design works for myself and my partner.

DAA410 is designed for a Whoo Kickr, and the second DAA510 is a custom shape for 'Laura Nusen for his Tacx Neo with extended area for foot placement to help with getting on-off the bike. This design is intended to provide up to 1.5” of side-to-side travel (See images), but for most people 3/4” of movement will be plenty to relieve hip and shoulder strain. You can run 2 or 4 balls, diameter 4” to 10” (with the spacers). 4 balls at 5psi is my preferred setting; firm but good motion. A counterweight is required on the right side opposite the Wahoo Kickr flywheel (I use 10lbs) in order to keep the dynamic forces balanced. (Otherwise the plate pivots left more easily than to the right and feels weird). Partially inflate the balls, add the counterweight then use a level to check the plate as you inflate the balls. Add a few psi in each ball, not one ball all at once. Rock the plate to make sure the level bubble registers correctly.

Please feel free to borrow / take / steal / adapt this however you like and do your own thing.

I will do my best to field questions; please allow 24 hours for response as I am working during the day.

Good Hunting.

M.

DAA410 Drawings:

DAA510 Drawings:

General Design Notes:

1. Uses less than 1 sheet of 3/4” plywood (customize as you like, can be slightly reduced but test with cardboard)
  2. Uses 5 strong isolators to provide fast, stable side to side movement. You can use any type you want, but you will need to adjust the fastener type and length. McMaster Carr is not necessarily cheap for isolators. But they usually have stock. Note that I ahem tried 4 types and I prefer the stiffest version for my weight (220lbs) as this helps to keep the plate stable and return it to neutral when riding.
  3. Includes spacer top and bottom of isolators to reinforce the plywood and to allow for better ball compression. You can use up to 10” playground balls (available at Wal-Mart) for more or less motions as desired. 5” balls I run at 5psi and 10” balls can be run ay 3psi for a firm plate.
  4. Includes Foam Rubber top sheet to reduce noise (trust me…)
  5. Trainer will sit on platform without extra mounts. (But I like the security)
  6. Front slots to secure wheel riser with velcro (Add knife slots in top foam)
  7. No rear mounts are shown. (Kickr mounts use 2 on side legs: https://tinyurl.com/y9xk4o8v )

DAA410 vs DAA510 Differences:

1. Square back end to accommodate the Neo footprint
  2. Extended side are towards front wheel for more standing area.
  3. Rear 3 x isolator locations adjusted for the Neo Goingco

Part Sources:

1. Part #6 Vibration Mounts:
  1. Other Mounts from McMaster Carr:
  1. 5" Playground Balls:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G1LIJY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1. Online source for top vibration pad foam:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RC44JZO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1. Tube Clamps for Wahoo Kickr legs:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RC44JZO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1**strong text**

2 Likes

Brilliant- that’s exactly what I was hoping to see! If I can’t sell this R&R soon, then may have to give it a try…

1 Like

That’s fantastic- going to digest this information. Many thanks!

1 Like

It gives side-to-side motion + front-to-back. I put two tennis balls under the front to limit the forward tilt. Good luck!