Threshold maintenance - workouts examples

Hello, excuse me in advance for my bad English

I’m currently following a 6/8 weeks cycle, with 2 Z5 workouts per week as far as regards intensity. Before this cycle, I did the 3 traditional base cycles, composed of 4+5+5 weeks and in the last cycle there was a bit of threshold. I’d like to add a third workout where I just do the bare minimum in order to maintain my threshold capacity.

Could you give me a few examples of workouts I could do to reach that goal please?

1 Like

Recommend using their “Train Now” feature OR going to the workout selecting and sorting by Threshold, Achievable and picking workouts around your specific progression level. That’s the beauty of these new progression levels and "difficulties levels (Recovery, Achievable, Productive, Stretch, Breakthrough).

IE - mine below.

2 Likes

Ok thanks for your reply

I want to do maintenance with less intensity possible. Or better, I’d like to hear a few opinions on how much should be the time to zone of a workout, if the goal is just to do just threshold maintenance, or to know different approaches to reach such goal.

Once I know that, It’s quite easy for me to find a good threshold workout.

1 Like

Saint Elias -2 - TrainerRoad

1 Like

What are the PL’s of your current 2 workouts; just go in to the workout filter and select a threshold system with a PL below them for your third workout if you want a lower intensity session. Select Level 1 for the bare minimum (if you can call a threshold effort the bare minimum :joy: )

2 Likes

I think the idea above of selecting a workout with a PL in your ‘achieveable’ range would be simple and easy. Week to week you can mix it up and look for a continuous session one week and perhaps an o/u another etc to get variety and hit your threshold in different ways

2 Likes

honestly I don’t have a PL since I don’t use adaptive training. I think it’s a wonderful idea but it’s not my cup of tea. I prefer to play and experiment manually with plans and workouts, because I think “it’s half of the fun”, like Amber said once.

Anyway I got your idea, thanks. I can always look for something easier than the workouts I’m used to

1 Like

It’s not quite as accurate as PLs but a guide would be the IF of the ride was lower. I’m not sure if you can filter on that though.

I did think PLs were independent of AT. They showed in my plan prior to my acceptance into the AT beta but I guess they are linked to Plan Builder :neutral_face:

BTW, you can turn on adaptive training and not use it. Having your PL’s would make it so much easier to experiment.

1 Like