Thoughts on intervals.icu data breakdown

(Small?) Feature request, though if it doesn’t make sense no worries there:

The classifications on the totals page are super interesting, but they don’t really reference the ranges for each of the classifications (polarized, pyarmidal, etc). And because Alex’s FFT link still seems to be pointing to a website under construction, I can’t prescriptively say “hrm, I need to decrease my Z3/4 by this much to be in a polarized training state.” for example.

I don’t know how to put that information there or whether it’s worthwhile, but it was something new that occurred to me.

Not sure if its the answer you are looking for, but I think I have heard that zone distribution models are more descriptive than prescriptive. Meaning that they are not necessarily meant to be followed “to a T”, they just describe training in general terms.

2 Likes

Just to echo @hubcyclist, efficiency factor is looking at raw watts and raw heart rate, and those two variables are hugely individual. My FTP is about 200 and my max heart rate (recently) is around 190, so my efficiency values are going to be way lower than somebody with the same heart rate range but a 350W FTP, or somebody with a 200W FTP and a much lower heart rate. It’s not a ratio you can reasonably compare between individuals.

3 Likes

Just wanted to say I’ve just discovered the custom charts, fantastic work! Thanks very much again. :blush:

1 Like

Makes sense to me! Then I suppose I would be interested to see what rules are defined for the categorization. But fair point; it’s not a big deal either way. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I adapted the rules I got from Alex a bit to better fit people who do 12h a week sometimes. But I don’t think there is a “standard” way to do this. Here is the code:

let ans
if (s3 > s2 && s3 > 0.499 * (s2 + s1)) ans = HITT
else if (s3 > s2 && s1 > s2) ans = POLARIZED
else if (s1 > 3.99 * s2 && s1 > 3 * (s2 + s3)) ans = BASE
else if (s1 < 3.01 * s2 && s1 > 1.4 * s2 && s2 > 1.4 * s3) ans = PYRAMIDAL
else if (s1 < 4 * s2 && s2 > 0.5 * s3) ans = THRESHOLD
else ans = UNIQUE

s1 = Z1 + Z2, s2 = Z3 + Z4, s3 = Z5+

1 Like

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for sharing your logic behind the classification!

This bug has been fixed. Tx for the report.

1 Like

Hi @davidtinker First of all, great tool. Thank you very much for making it and continuing to improve it!

I looked a few places and I didn’t see a way to chart left vs right power balance. It would be good for checking how you might have muscle imbalance and how that changes based on fatigue, cadence, power output etc. Just having that as a chart to stack with the others on the activity page would be fine, then I can visually make those comparisons.

Personally when I glance at my left / right balance during a ride I will see 45 or 46% left sometimes (and stay there for a while) and other times it is closer to 49% left (again staying there for minutes). A chart like to show L/R % would go a long way to figuring out why it varies.

Tx. Unfortunately the Strava API doesn’t give out L&R power balance so I can’t show that in Intervals.icu. I have a todo list item to allow manual upload of ride files, sync with Garmin Connect etc. to sort that out.

3 Likes

I think there is a slight bug in the power chart. When you add another/older season to be displayed, it will have a new colour. But when you delete the last 42 days graph, the line colours in the graph and legend run out of sync. The legend gets updated with the top season in green, but the lines in the graph stay the same colour they were before.

1 Like

Tx for the report. That bug should be fixed now.

1 Like

The fitness page on my profile is coming up empty:

However the other pages like Activities and Power contain current and up to date data?
I already tried to refresh the page and restart my PC.
Anybody know what the problem could be?

Please msg me a link to one of your activities on Intervals.icu and I will have a look. It is probably a bug that I can fix.

1 Like

I wonder if there is a little bug in this graph and table shown in the screenshot below.

I’ve done 2 activities in my “this season” and the “last season” ended on 1st June, yet the same power value shows up at the 5min mark of the table and graph despite this being a PR set on 2nd June (and so shouldn’t affect “last season”)

The graphs legend also shows that the “last season” value is taken form the 2nd June despite just below that, it defines “last season” as 4th May to 1st June.

Really love intervals.icu, such an impressive toolkit that you have put together for us all. Many thanks.

David – How can I set a rowing FTP for my ergo sessions? Right now it’s calculating load off of power, and a 160w row for an hour is not at all like a 160w cycle.

I get a bit of a bug (looks like just the chart, the data for the intervals is correct) when I click “Use Laps”. The laps on the chart dont align with the actual lap timings, see img below (should be pretty obvious where the laps actually started/ended)

Please send me a link to that activity so I can have a look. Often Strava sends back bad lap data if you have the privacy circle enabled so it could be that but I need to check.

Please send me a link to one of those. Do you do also have HR data for rowing?

David –

Did it calculate load off off power, or off of HR? If the number is off of HR, ok.