The Official - Things need to change thread

“To those who found the color of the emoji racist, I can promise that I did not mean for it to be interpreted that way. I would like to apologize to everyone who found this offensive as I strongly stand against racism in any form,” the 19-year-old said in a team statement.

“To anyone who disagrees with me politically, that is fine. I won’t hate you for it. I only ask the same.”

Seems the young lad is very confused. Hopefully Trek management will enlighten him on what racism is and then he’ll wake up to that fact that a) racism isn’t political, and b) he supports a racist politician, thus condoning racism.

No high hopes here.

Bye! :wave:t2:

1 Like

Crap apology…shameful for both T-S and Simmons.

• He doesn’t explain why he used a black hand in his post or how he meant for it to be interpreted
  • It is the usual BS of “I’m sorry if you were offended by it” putting the blame for being offended back on others
  • THE POSTS ARE STILL UP ON HIS TWITTER FEED.

Eff them.

3 Likes

EF them.

Y’know…cuz education first…ha. :neutral_face:

1 Like

So plotting to kidnap and murder a State leader is on the same ‘domestic terror’ level as protesting police brutality and racial injustice?

Is the trxmp-induced insanity peaking or growing even greater?? :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

These guys look exactly like what I would expect them to look like…

and FFS, stop calling these idiots “militia”. It infers a degree of legitimacy to them that is not earned. They aren’t militia, they are domestic terrorists.

8 Likes

We need to do away with the electoral college. It’s time candidates earn every last one of their votes and stop focusing on fucking swing states. The GOP will fight this every step of the way. I wonder why.

4 Likes

When someone claims there is no such thing as systemic racism, show them this video with the MI sheriff re: these yahoos…because that is it in a nutshell.

I have long called for, if nothing else, substantial reform of the EC (proportional allocation of state EC vote would be a good start), but there are valid arguments for the EC.

However, what was once designed to prevent a “tyranny of the majority” has now devolved into a “tyranny of the minority” as the entire country is held hostage to the whims of a handful of states.

Blow it up.

2 Likes

with you, brother.

the overwhelming majority of instances of terrorism during the last fifty years have been by right-wing white guys with an ax to grind. if you include lynchings (and there’s really no defensible reason to not include them) then it’s like, by orders of magnitude, right wing terrorism is the majority.

this is how you know that all this stuff about travel bans, deporting illegal immigrants “because they are dangerous” etc. as all pretextual bullshit. if you really cared about who was most dangerous you would deport all the white dudes.

2 Likes

It seems to me that there are better arguments for a true popular vote, however I’m interested in hearing about these arguments for keeping it. The idea that middle Americans need an assist with their voice doesn’t make sense to me, at this point. It’s gone too far in that direction. The voters in PA, AZ, NC, FL all hold the key? Goddam. Blow it up is right.

If the argument for EC is that the population that lives in cities would then drive election results, to that I say, the GOP should actually WORK for that vote instead of moving the goalposts. The democratic party, while leaving a ton to be desired, has already spoken to that voter apparently.

That interview is so scary. The sheriff is down for the cause.

Re: electoral college, I’m more passionate about ranked choice voting being required nationwide than doing away with the electoral college. I’m anticipating some people not liking this upcoming take, but I’m having a very hard time getting on board with the Biden/Harris ticket, and Hawkins/Walker is exactly what I’m about. The only upside I see to Biden/Harris is harm reduction so this comes down to whether voting is a function of utilitarian calculus, in which case I’d vote Biden/Harris, or if voting is actually symbolically endorsing and micro-participation in the actions of your candidate if they get elected. With ranked choice voting I could vote Hawkins/Walker first and Biden/Harris second and I wouldn’t suffer this ideological predicament.

Apologies for the TLDR post. Double apologies if mentioning current candidates by name is against any rules.

1 Like

IMO, the calculus comes down to what state you life in…is it reliably a blue state? Then I think you can vote 3rd party without worrying about doing harm to the greater societal fabric.

If thee is even a remote chance of your state going red, the overriding moral imperative is Biden / Harris.

My state is a definite to go blue, but I am voting for Biden regardless because I hope to see a massive number of popular votes against him to send a message. My vote won’t “matter” either way, but I’ll feel better about it. As noted above, I have a long history of voting 3rd party, but I simply can’t this year.

Just my unsolicited $.02…

3 Likes

Huh. I guess racism is political.

(caveats: I’m not a FB users, this was brought to my attn; cannot comment on authenticity)

Just wanted to say that I do appreciate your unsolicited opinion! Only posted because I do want to hear other thoughts.

1 Like

It’s authentic.

Interesting:

Spotted tonight in the shopping cart in front of me:

:grin:

3 Likes

I’m assuming you simply throw the book itself?

2 Likes

Real conversation:

Her: Africans, they’re so stupid.

Me: I work with a Nigerian, he’s smart and hard-working, and a really nice guy.

Her: Oh, they’re cunning*, aren’t they?

This is the reality of racism.

*Cunning

1. having or showing skill in achieving one’s ends by deceit or evasion.
1 Like

Wtf?! That level of ignorance is so bizarre to me. Like it’s pulled out of a magician’s hat or something, completely baseless and leaving you a bit confused.

————

An idea for reparations: a percentage of cotton production. The US cotton industry — and thus the US — owes its standing to slavery, full stop. Ownership is a big part of reparations.

We can also include all other industries who’s modern success can be traced directly to predominately being built by slaves.

———-

To keep the hypocrisy of pro cycling in the spotlight…the riders can chop a stage in half by protesting, without the the blessing (but ultimate complicity) of the UCI and race organiser, yet riders have to be “allowed” to conduct a feeble show of solidarity against racism. #joke

EDIT:
Looks like I’m not the only one who thinks so:

Wiggins concluded his statement by opining that the riders’ protest in Morbegno had been stronger than the rider-organised statement against racism at the Tour de France, where the peloton donned masks emblazoned with anti-racism messages.

To add to that as well, they’ve made more of a stand today, more of a protest than they did for Kévin Reza and the stand against racism at the Tour de France. That’s all I’ll say on it.

———

Vote.

2 Likes

This is what systemic racism looks like.

1 Like