The Ironman Training Thread 2023

If you’re doing strength stuff at home and have a decent commute to the pool, I get it. The commute time takes a 45 min swim and turns it into a 2 hr ordeal.

Does your pool also have a gym? I know people that have had good success doing a short swim (1000-1500 yd/m) and then hitting the weights to make the most of the commute time.

Short update on the hip. Went to the ortho on Wednesday. They took x-rays and the Doc walks in the room and goes “well, there’s some obvious things abnormal with your hip”. Kind of what I wanted to hear, but at the same time, unexpected since I was expecting a soft-tissue/cartilage issue. Found an os acetabuli (a portion of the hip that never fused as a child, generally they’re asymptomatic and not a problem) and a significant cam deformity (cam alpha-angle of 80-90 deg).

Based on how bad the cam deformity is, he thinks the labrum is almost certainly torn due to FAI (femoral acetabular impingement); the extra bone on the femoral neck is contacting the labrum every time I cycle. He also thinks there is a chance of intra-joint/articular cartilage damage, again due to the femoral head shape. He ordered an MRI with contrast to confirm, which is scheduled for the 21st.

For now, continue with swimming, glute work with minimal hip flexion and not biking/running.

2 Likes

finally back to the pool…
did 3x this week… i mean…just about 6k yard for the week, but its a ton of drills and slow swimming… trying to get a better feel for the water… no use in trying to go fast with trash form…
Got a package of swim classes, and will be taking them 1 every other week… and while I do them i will not add any speed…everything will be slow and really digging into correcting problems… so far we identify 2… my elbow is dropping before the hand (specially on the right arm - the one that has injury) and my hand in going into the water palm first. So been working on that the whole week. Will see if this strategy finally work.

I have also been adding more bike volume. BUT i hit a road block.
2 weeks ago i decided to YOLO it and to do 3 wo the same week 3 days in a row, just 10 days after my marathon… the 3rd wo was a terrible mistake. Now my hamstring is hurt… I can still run, but it hurt if i try to add anything faster than 8 mpm. It really sucks, but it gives me time to hit the pool rested…

Been doing PT for the hamstring and hope to be back to normal in a month or so…

2 Likes

Did my first CSS test in ages, came out at 1:48. I would’ve expected 1:45 or better given I can my PB 1900 is at 1:41.

400 in 6:50 & 200 at 3:15.

3 Likes

Ouch

Finally bit the bullet on a certain IM brand sponsor for nutrition for Bolton IM this year as I don’t want to carry a fridge with me. Need to get used to it. Horrendous stuff. No taste.

1 Like

Indeed. It was not a smart choice.

I have no idea how this is possible

2 Likes

Stretch indeed

How do you get to those lofty PL levels anyway? I usually mark my workouts easy or moderate, except for the vo2 ones, but I haven’t seen anything that high since AT came about.

Hi there, I’m a bit late to this. Despite doing 8 years worth of TR plans, mainly mid volume half distance. This year, starting back in October, i started the high volume full distance for the outlaw full in July with the goal of 10ish hours. Last ironman I did was Roth where I blew up and went nearly 13 hrs, that was back in 2017 and I swore I’d never do another!
So far I haven’t missed a bike or run except when I got covid and had to take the weekend off, plus I used workout alternative to get easier rides for a few weeks.
Swimming is going really well, and I’ve done 4k 5 times now with my time coming down a minute each time. This may or may not translate it good open water time, as I’ve had a panic attack for all 4 ironman swims I’ve done plus most of my 10 half swims.

1 Like

Welcome back, shall I add you to the roll call for Outlaw in July?

Frequent time in the water helps I think with panic, even if it’s just messing about on the beach with the family. Try sitting at the bottom of a pool for as long as you can - things like that.

Had them at Portugal last year, not great, but not dire either imo. It was the consistency I really didn’t like.

Worst I’ve had were powergel I think - strawberry and apple (or some such) tasted like neither. And the licorice ones. Pow. Not gentle at all.

I’ve got no idea

1 Like

Hey guys,

bit late for the roll call. Feb was not so great. After two solid weeks I caught a nasty infection and only recovered in time for a family vacation. I was running almost every day, soaked up much needed sunshine and swam a few times in Tel Avivs glorious Gordon Pool, but had no saddle time whatsoever.

Now back it seems it didn’t hurt much. Run and swim progress are solid, biking isn’t but it seems I haven’t lost much either. I am still sticking with an FTP setting way below what I would normally see at this stage, but it is so much more sustainable. There is still no way I ride outside in this weather, but I’m curious how I’ll perform once the outdoor hammering begins.

2 Likes

Hi joe, please add me to the chart cheers. My open water panic comes from getting beat up in the water!

2 Likes

@Alen which Texas event are you doing in April? I’ve got you down for both…. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I’m doing both 70.3TX and the IMTX.
The 70.3 is my A race.

2 Likes

Only possible if your ftp has grown.
There are workouts in the library that are not “workouts”. A workout should give you a stimulus and not break you. That workout will break you.

Got a new toy this week. I’m 2 weeks away from my race and trying to get this baby dialed in

9 Likes

very nice ride! What happened to the other bike?
Will that be the trainer bike or will you sell?