The Ironman Training 2022 Thread

You’ll finish both I’m sure but it does make choosing your A race more important.

I’ve done it both ways paced a 70.3 at IM pace and balls out, and just rock up to the longer event and get what’s left. I do find it much harder to hold back and pace a 70.3 though.

1 Like

Thanks @JoeX - that leads to my next dilemma - I’m working on the basis I will do a MV long distance plan - I’m assuming if a do a half distance plan I might struggle with the duration of a full distance event. Would welcome any thoughts you have on that one

I’ve done seven Ironman events now, BOP and MOP, I did short course training for the 6th and a mish mash for the 7th, so I’m happy to do 70.3 training with a few longer rides and runs added, and just trust my ability to pace an Ironman four weeks later.

1 Like

I am doing some amateur power meter comparisons (not a test because I am not going through a set routine like the Lama Lab tests yet–that will come later I think) and did a Zwift ride yesterday with my Neo 2T, Favero Assioma dual pedals, and Power2Max NG Eco crank.

https://analyze.dcrainmaker.com/#/public/16f400eb-8c93-4f42-502b-3720e07aa82a

(What’s not shown are my Powertap P1 pedals which are very close to the Tacx Neo2T as can be seen here: DC Rainmaker Analyzer)

Power2max and Assiomas are fairly in line with each other and average out almost exactly. The Power2max is more finicky than the pedals and jumps here and there but settles quickly. Both of them read 10 watts higher than the 2T (and by proxy the powertap p1s), which I think is pretty good–not ideal for Zwift racing because I get cheated a few watts.

I am thinking that the “true power” is somewhere in between. Neo2T and the Assiomas are both regarded highly as reliable power meters so not sure which one to “trust” here.
10 watts is a bit higher than “drive train loss” maybe within spec.

Update: Did a Zwift race and tri recorded again and there is a 14 watt difference between Neo and Aassiomas with a big difference for max power: DC Rainmaker Analyzer

I think I need to do a static weight test for the Assiomas. Anyway, just thought I would share the data with you all. And yes, I know just stick with one power meter and roll with it so I think I am going to go with the Assioma pedals and sell the P2M.

1 Like

I think this would probably be dependent on your experience level- as @JoeX said, if you’ve got a few full distance events under your belt I think you’d probably be fine, but if it’s your first IM I’d probably be inclined to do some more specific prep. The difference between half and full distance is more one of durability and pacing/logistics than fitness IMO, but the first couple is where most fall apart :rofl:

The other option might be to tweak some of the longer sessions in the 70.3 plan to be more in line with those of the IM plans- wouldn’t need to be every week, but throwing in a longer run or ride every so often can go a long way. (Longer brick runs can be helpful there if your body handles them well)
I would expect the biggest ‘gap’ to be the run- a 5-6 hour ride is a lot easier to pull off without training than a marathon on tired legs, but if you’re just looking to finish a run-walk strategy can also be pretty good if you haven’t done a ton of mileage in the past!

2 Likes

Thanks @toribath97 that makes sense.
It would be my first IM distance. I’m a long time cyclist and and used to a decent amount of volume but the run is the biggest unknown to me. I can imagine its likely to involve a lot of run/walk!
My challenge is which to make my A race as the 70.3 is the one I would like to perform in but the full is just 3 weeks later (and I’m going into it without any expectations).
I’ll take a look at the plans - I had imagined the full would be about pacing and durability so whichever plan i went for i envisaged doing MV and adding in longer rides, runs and brick sessions.
Thanks for the advice

1 Like

Here’s my $/€/£ 0.02.

Were it me, I would set up the 70.3 as your A race using either 70.3 HV or one of the 140.6 plans. These will get you the long rides you need for the 140.6. The dirty secret in triathlon is that volume beats intensity 9 times out of 10 and you’ll likely have a better 70.3 if you do those long rides and those 2hr runs. They’re also as important for pacing and fueling practice for the 140.6 as they are for fitness.

You can then taper fully for the 70.3 and smash it. You’ve then got a week to recover from the 70.3, a week to get some “normal” training again to find your post-race mojo and then a pre-race week for the 140.6. Don’t stress over what happens in those 3 weeks. You’re not going to gain or lose any meaningful fitness. You just want to shed the race fatigue and go into the 140.6 fully recovered and rested. It’s better to over-recover than the opposite. Undercooked >>>>> Overcooked in 140.6.

5 Likes

Thanks @matthewgreer that sounds like it could be a good approach, particularly as I’m doing the full distance for “fun”. Either way I was wondering how I might deal with the 3 week gap and assumed it would be recovery and taper and not much else

Trying to take my own advice, and not over commit. I’ve got HV HD in plan from mid December.

Would love to do 4x4x4 SBR & 3x lifting but there’s zero chance of consistency in that.

Reviewed my best season training, 20/21 and gathered some TSS goals. Bike was great then and I did some heavy lifting, but my run was inconsistent and swim didn’t take off until April.

So, I’m thinking that I don’t need to exceed my bike training that season, ‘simply’ making swim and run consistent should be enough for a major improvement next year.

Well, not sure which hemisphere the $1500 race entry I already purchased is going to have me race in next year. Wonderful.

2 Likes

Nice is Nice, but I’m hoping they’ll at least let those that have already qualified for KONA the option to defer to 2024. I qualified and paid the $2K CDN for Kona, better give me Kona! I could go race Nice any year I wanted for Ironman France and I raced 70.3 worlds there in 2019 as well.

2 Likes

Hi again, After 3 years of TR, I’ve decided to follow the traditionnal base plan this winter.
I still have some questions in mind : what about running and swimming ? should I stay in zone 2 or somme intensity is allowed?
Should I go through the whole base or 4 weeks is enough to have some adaptions?

1 Like

Hey there :slight_smile:

Kind of depends why you’re choosing trad base and what rules you think there are.

I don’t see any reason to avoid intensity per se, but if you aren’t doing any on the bike, it’s a good time to do it on the run.

With swimming, it’s always good to have some intensity.

Myself I’m more interested in form recently, as I’ve become aware that to a certain degree good form comes at levels of intensity, and bad form is easily achieved in easy slow work.

Then there’s the physiological systems view, and the benefits on training aerobic and aerobic system, as well as all types of muscle fibre.

A lot of this varies on where you are as an athlete though, for example I don’t think beginners and pros have the same needs. I think simply scaling training in the same percentages as pros is based on false assumptions.

Wuth swimming, obviously you’ll have some intensity, as you need it to transfer any technical work.
With running, I have some intensity, like around threshold for 3/4/6 minutes. But I’m wondering if this is compatible with Trad base bike. I don’t want to compromise the boring trad base as it’s not fun at all

The northern one :slight_smile:

Bright side. Going to the race will be as expensive if they hold it at Nice. Your pocket will have the same IM Championship experience.

That seems to be the case:

Any male athlete already qualified to compete will have the choice to participate in either the 2023 VinFast IRONMAN World Championship (date and location to be announced) OR defer to the 2024 VinFast IRONMAN World Championship male event taking place in Kailua-Kona, Hawai`i. Athletes will be contacted in January 2023 with more detailed information on athlete options.

1 Like

It’s still not going to be the same race/event again being split to only one gender at either location. Just a bummer all around (maybe more so as a first time KQ’er having it all come crashing down after putting down some serious coin to do it–at least I hadn’t booked any travel yet, phew!).

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I’m going to take the deferral. Kona is too hard to pass up. But I’ve got lots of time to figure it out.

Thankfully my flight was refundable and nothing else booked. Hope most others get that lucky.

Still pretty angry about how it all went down though. Even at IMAZ and Cozumel they were selling slots for a race they knew probably wasn’t going to happen.

3 Likes

Ah, you mean does an intense run workout interfere with the endurance bike workout?

I’m not sure it would in any scenario except a brick, but as long as you are fully recovered from your run workout before you start the bike (and vice versa) you should be fine and get the benefit of aerobic adaptations from both.

I don’t mean to discourage you, but if you don’t enjoy trad base, I wouldn’t do it.

1 Like