The Ironman Training 2022 Thread

Is anyone using Group Workouts?

I’ve been meaning to set it up for ages and I’m finally in a predictable routine, so I’m thinking of setting up regular workouts UK time, Monday 07:00 and 18:00.

I know we’re all over the world so it wouldn’t work for most.

1 Like

Did you stay >90% of time in aero during your 7h? Or at least 3hours given HIM goal? Addressing that might make me you faster than a 10% FTP bump from training. Actually they 're not mutually exclusive

Every tri season, i train on the road in aero starting at 15min straight then extend that until i’m comfortable in aero for >1 hour. Once I reach 1 hour, i can do 6.

Yea pretty much in aero the entire time. I did stop at two aid stations … once to use the restroom and once to get my fluids organized. I road a Giant Contend 3 w aero bars, which probably held me back quite a bit haha.

I’m m doing the sweet spot base now in aero. I actually find aero more comfortable than the hoods/drops.

Report of 70.3

The inks everyone. Don’t for get @MK_2. Was doing it too.

Prep
My prep before travelling was totally planned in 15 min sections from leaving Cardiff with my transition bags separated.Train booked, and kit packed. Then the queen sadly passed away and everything was uncertain. The train strike was cancelled but the race was in jeopardy. I was on a mission to get a lift and I became an expert on tide times, height, predicted wind and surf reports.
On the Wednesday and Thursday of race week I was on the Sofa, barely able to breathe from a horrible head cold. Nose blocked, aching muscles and totally devoid of energy. There was no taper just a fight to get over the cold. This improved on Friday and so on Saturday I went to Weymouth and see if I could race. If I wasn’t there I could not have started.

I was apprehensive about the logistics of Ironman as it is different from my previous races. Registration went smoothly, I managed to keep my head in the expo shop. No £12 bottles or £50 hoodie for me! (The hoodies were sold out) I’d prepped my red and blue bags at home. Crossed the town to acclimatise in transition with the other 2000+ nervous crazies. I got a free Gatorade which isn’t too bad. I decided to put this as my first drink Andy only bottle at the start.

Race morning went ok, the hotel put on breakfast at 5am. The promise of a taxi fell through so a long walk to the start of 25 mins. The crowd of rubber suited bodies getting bigger and more nervous.

The Swim: I expected the swim to be my Achilles heel and so it proved. Thankfully the weather and water could almost not have been better. I placed myself in the 1hr mark and it was hilarious that the front of the race exited the swim as I was coming to start mine! There were many comments on the sun as it was right at us and I was blinded despite tinted glasses. I suspect I added a lot of junk meters but somehow made it in 54 mins. A win for me. I cam out of the water 1937th of 2002.

T1. Wasn’t too bad, 250m run went ok and the wetsuit went well. My prep for it paid off. My plan to be REALLY SLOW in the swim worked. There were so few bikes mine was easy to spot. I’d have rather it been more busy though Lol.

Bike. Coming from cycling my strength was the bike and I haven’t lost that. I went out hard but my lack of summer training showed. The cold also killed me on the hills. I passed 427 riders to zero passing me. Raising the bars definitely helped me stay in position for longer and I adapted to the compromised aerobic function. I was very impressed with the feed stations and they worked for me. The one hill saw many walkers. The bike was a definite mental boost. The later part of the bike was possible to push as it was predominently downhill. 427 places up despite a weak ride for my expectation.

T2. Quite smooth. I made a conscious decision not to do a flying dismount. It doesn’t suit having rear bottles and I didn’t fancy a face plant. Again, preparation favours the prepared mind.

Run. This was an exercise in survival. It was exposed and a hot one considering it’s September in the UK. I stopped using the Garmin for pace after the first lap. It was survival. feed stations were great and I just took water after water. the re-usable cup things were a bit of a waste of time. I made a pact with myself. Must not walk. I met this and finished another 71 places higher than after T2.

To summarise all that; the data on the Ironman website says that I came out of the water 1937th of 2002 athletes then I made up 427 places on the bike and a further 71 places on the run lol. Given that It was a weak bike leg (based on what I can do) something tells me I can improve on my swim.

Oh, I’m up two IM water bottles and on the way to the hotel, a feed station gave me handfuls of gels. I recon £40 worth of stuff.

If you didn’t get bored, thank you for reading.

10 Likes

Same here - if I’m going to ride >3h, being in aero is more comfy / less tiring.

Well Maple Valley 70.3 has come and gone. Ended up being a pretty nice day and enjoyed the race.

Swim - 31 mins
I think I’m finally figuring out what has been happening with my swim and my pool times have been reflecting it. And this was a min faster then what I swam at CdA. So it’s going in the right direction.

T1 - 3:15

Bike - 2:18:19
It was actually fairly cold in the morning being in the 50’s. And with rain the night before, all the roads where wet. I decided to put on some gloves which was a good idea. I think I should have gotten toe covers as well. Feet where numb the whole time. I thought it was going to be a bit faster course but also my power was down from where I normally would want to do, probably because of the cold. Only ended up with a average of 253. But good news is I feel my position is faster with more work on my head position and have a good feeling if I average what I normally average, I can ride a good bit faster. One weird thing I’ve noticed is my cadence has been rising the last few years. I averaged a cadence of 99 for this race. And during my training, my cadence always low 90’s into the high 80’s. So not sure what is the cause of that.

T2 - 2:09

Run - 1:25:22
I feel my tun is starting to come around. Definitely better then the last few years. I didn’t want to really push it here to much with 70.3 Worlds only 5 weeks away. So I just wanted a good building effort before then. I believe I have a 1:20-22 in me and hopefully can do that at worlds.

Overall 4:20:04

Good enough for 3rd overall and 2nd age group. I’m pretty happy with the overall effort. Definitely good to get a race in close to Worlds to make sure the body, equipment and nutrition feels good before Worlds. Looking forward to putting in more work the next 5 weeks and giving worlds my all and seeing what happens.

11 Likes

After a few false starts for various reasons, I finally got to race at Weymouth 70.3 this past Sunday.

From Thursday the week prior I adopted my usual race week diet of very low fibre whilst focusing on nutrient density and prioritising carb intake.

At around 4.30am on the morning of the race, I forced down 1 x white tortilla wrap with butter, jam and salt (don’t ask where the idea for this came from), then coffee at around 5.30am. At around 6.45am I had 100mg caffeine and then acclimatised in the sea - this felt especially worthwhile given that i’d never swam in the sea during a race so wasn’t sure what to expect. Managed to find my jumper and shoes afterwards so avoided getting cold, which had been a concern.

Swim
Time = 00:35:20

Couldn’t have asked for better weather conditions. Calm, cool and dry. The sea was incredibly calm with little to no ‘chop’ or waves. Self-seeded right in the middle of the 30-40 minute holding pen, which in hindsight was spot on.

Not an awful lot to report in all honesty, some shocking sighting on my part, but that’s about it, found my rhythm quickly and achieved my overall aim of getting out in one piece.

Point to note for anyone in the future - returning to the beach, the sun was on our right and blinding, so I switched to a breath every four strokes to my left side - it definitely paid to be able to breathe on both sides.

T1 = 00:07:13 [I purposefully took my time here… plus, my socks are notoriously difficult to get on].

Bike
Time = 02:38:02

So. Much. Traffic. for the first 10-20km, it was near impossible not to draft and passing was a matter of being patient and waiting your turn, but after the first of a few short undulations, the larger packs broke up.

Being lighter (62/63kg) definitely helped on the climbs where I would overtake a few riders, only for them to whizz past me on the descent, which I found quite comical… I’m not sure they did.

Again, I don’t feel like there’s much to report - some good-looking bikes being ridden is all I can really remember. I also observed that a lot of people seemed to be sticking to power targets - I don’t have a power meter on my Colnago, which I thinks helps me not become too fixated with a specific number.

Bike fuelling consisted of 100g CHO concentrate in my bottle + a mouthful of gatorade + 2 caffeine gels… I could have pushed more but I didn’t want to risk any GI distress, plus, I didn’t feel like I had worked all that hard for the first hour!

T2: 00:03:58 [toilet stop + a change of top slowed me down, but I knew I wanted to be comfortable]

Run
Time: 01:23:49

Half-marathon PB in its own right, never mind during a 70.3 - super happy with that.

Broke the run down into four x 5k races with the third being intentionally conservative before a final push… not believing that the route would equate to the distance came as a welcome distraction!

Fuelled with 2 x Maurten gels, one at each of 9 and 16km… the second saved me. First time trying Maurten gels… they’re odd in a kind of, “I should really hate this, yet I don’t” way…

Finish time = 04:48:19
12th / 296 - 30-34 age group
55th / 1580 - males
56th / 2002 - overall

All in all, lovely course, but I can imagine it’s very different in any other weather.

First Ironman event… it was annoyingly well organised in terms of registration, transition and support… almost makes the entry fee worth it (almost…)

Walked back to collect my bike, 5km cycle back to accommodation and I was back in the gym on Monday… just about recovered for a social ride this weekend - happy way to sign off the season.

:ok_hand: :call_me_hand:

8 Likes

Two great results!

1 Like

It’s a much more expensive proposition to go to Kona from Europe than North America though I’d say.

From the US perhaps, I don’t think it’s much worse compared to Canada and our dollar being substantially lower than the USD vs. the Euro or GBP being worth more or at least close to the same.

Sadly a problem I don’t have.

Tried out FulGaz and the Ironman Aix en Provence course this morning 3h13 :hot_face:

Too many 8-10% grades on that course!

Nice simple interface. I had a bit of frustration getting set up as the login and password reset wouldn’t work but eventually it just did and I was off and cycling.

After the two week trial is up, Ironman have given me a 6 month subs as part of my entry fee so could be on this a few times a month.

1 Like

Glad it worked well for you, I had bad luck with it–first ride I tried the Ironman Canada course and the resistance somehow got stuck after a short while, but it was like it got stuck and went to Erg mode because my gearing didn’t effect it–super frustrating! About 3/4 into the ride I felt it suddenly change when I was going down a descent and I was like, “great, at least it will be good for the last section of the course” but then it got stuck again at an even easier resistance! :man_facepalming:I tried it out again a few days later on a different course, and tried they’re “recommended” Bluetooth connection vs. ANT+ like I always use (which works perfectly fine with TR, Zwift and Rouvy with my V5 Kickr) and it ended up doing the same thing, again getting stuck at a really easy resistance early this time so I couldn’t even complete the ride. I also found it frustrating that there wasn’t a way to check/change connected devices while riding and you basically had to exit back out of the ride and multiple screens to get back to the pairing screen. (unless there was some other way to do it that I missed). I ended up using Rouvy for my IMC virtual rides instead. :confused:

2 Likes

Feel for you. One of the most irritating things is to have a tech fail you can’t fix on a big indoor ride.

How was support?

I used it a few times before Eagleman to refresh my memory about the course and the turns. It’s ok and helped with recon but I wouldn’t ride on it regularly enough to shell out for a subscription.

If I didn’t have TR I think I would do Wahoo Systm

1 Like

Didn’t bother with support, wasn’t worth the hassle of running through their standard questions. Everything works perfectly fine with 3 other programs, even 2 at a time, so… :joy:

2 Likes

Not surprised, I asked for a couple of reasons.

First, you don’t really know how good a company is until something goes wrong. Secondly, I’m trying to recruit people for a group ride :crazy_face:

Hi Guys,

Not necessarily an Ironman/Tri related training question but I’d be interested in your thoughts all the same.

How do you guys and gals deal with race results?

How do you avoid the trap of comparing yourself to others?

I raced at Outlaw X today. A great event on the whole and my second 70.3 albeit with a shortened swim. I raced with a few club mates. My result is my result and I have picked out areas of focus to help improve and areas that I was happy enough with. But I cannot help look at the times around me and think ‘Why can’t I be quicker at this?’ or ‘How can I beat this guy next time?’

For context I am absolutely average finishing 247/547 overall and 34/60 in my category.

Looking at the results I see an active member of this forum had a cracking race (in my opinion!) And finished around 1 hour 20 minutes ahead of me :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

Anyway, I’m just interested in your thoughts on my questions above.

(If this is better placed as a topic on its own please move or I can just repost - whatever is easiest)

First of all, well done!

That’s the most important bit, pat yourself on the back, give yourself credit for that performance. A lot of time and training went into, at you have the result to show for it.

Barring a few things like derailleur collapse and shark attacks, with triathlon generally you get out what you’ve put in. It’s very rare to get a totally unexpected breakthrough performance, and we can prepare and compensate for most other things-that-can-go-wrong on race day. So all in all, its fair to look at a result and use it as a measure of your strengths and weaknesses.

Reading between the lines though, I’m thinking you’ve got the constructive bit fine, it’s the self-worth bit you’re struggling with?

I think that is probably a good portion of what I struggle with.

I would say I am pretty critical with myself though. Every good performance sets a benchmark that is there to be shot at… For example, the run today I was happy with. 1:47:57. My previous (different course and conditions so cannot truly compare) was 1:59ish. My standalone half marathon is only 1:43:53. But all I can think is surely I could have run harder here or there within the race etc (my mind wanted too… My legs refused :joy:)

I don’t know. I guess I just have my hang ups like most but need to find a way to navigate/deal with/accept them

1 Like