The Ironman Training 2022 Thread

In Des Moines, I had the equivalent of 5 bottles on the bike (2 in front in the FC 35, 2 on frame and 1 at back). Each bottles had 90g of carbs. I took one per hour and added either a pack of gu chews or sis bake at the end of each hour. I also grabbed a water on the fly at almost each station as it was so hot. Ended up also grabbing one bottle at special needs to complete my nutrition. This plan plus a less powerful bike leg saved my run. First IM so take this with a grain of salt. Which I added in the form of pills during the bike. Congrats on your amazing performance. I will try to improve upon my 14 hours next year. The 40 minutes in transitions did not help.

2 Likes

Unfortunately it will just be down to you on the day…until then, training is likely to be counterproductive, hydrate, listen to the doctor. Too late to cancel now so worst case you have a perfect opportunity to spectate :wink:

1 Like

Cheers Joe

1 Like

Cheers, this could be the solution I go with. 2 extra 80g sachets in the back pocket would get me very close to what I think I need to be safe carbs-wise.

@windyyet Out of interest how are you holding 2 bottles in the front? I uses a Trinity with the integrated nose bottle so pretty limited (also only 1 set of bolt holes on the frame) but curious what the setup looks like :thinking:

It has been discussed a few times, if you search through the 2019, 2020 and 2021 threads I’m sure there are some good tips in there.

Thinking that it’s only a few weeks away, you might be better off replicating your 70.3 strategy, bearing in mind that you will be burning less per hour, but for a longer time.

In your place if you know what works for you, just plan to pick up additional water. In my case I pick up everything on course, I just take a gel for pre-race, T1 and leave some water on the bike. But I’m a long way from the podium :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not sure whether to applaud or…

I guess LS tried it once with a camelbak.

Pretty sure even the pros pick up water on the bike course?

Cheers, I will check them out. just the length of them that is scary.
Planning to use the same types & ideas of fueling as I would for a 70.3. My problem is purely the logistics of carrying twice the amount on me or the bike. When I already seem pretty loaded for a 70.3

I am not going to try it, The UK course will be in & out of TT position all the time. But I do think the Camelback idea down the front could be a great idea for a flat course if planned right. 100mile TT riders do it all the time. Is even an aero gain to it.

1 Like

The profile design FC 35 holds a bit more than 1000ml. Should have made it clear that my bottles are 500ml. Also why I made sure to top this up with water from the aid stations.

A little late for roll-call,and its almost next months too :smile:

Besides some Holiday time last month, I completed the ride London event in under 5 hours for the 100 miler which I was really happy about. The half marathon 2 weeks later, considering I’m not as running fit as I would like to be, was alright too - 1h28. With less than nine weeks to go I have been focusing on been as consistent as possible, and starting to build those distances\times for each of the disciplines. Pressure is on!

1 Like

Personally, I’d have to stop to reload powders on the bike. My 140.6 setup is the following:
1 regular strength in a refillable BTA bottle (xlab torpedo).
2 double strength BTS bottles.
2 backup gels in the trisuit pocket

Once the first BTA bottle is empty, refill it with half of a BTS bottle and water from an aid station. Drink some additional water and spray yourself down if you want and then toss the water bottle.

No downtube bottle, no one bike gels (I ride an old P2 without a bento or fancy integrated frame bottle).

Is this bottle refillable? If so, I’d look into the concentrated rear bottle instead of carrying powder around.

Yes, the Trinity nose bottle comes with a closed or refillable top cap. Have not actually used the refillable one yet. Should probably test it out.
For this IM Uk course in particular, I am a little hesitant to be too reliant on the rear bottles as the road surface is unbelievable bad in places & they are well known for ejecting bottles over bumps.

Hi all, weird thing on my schedule this week, which is taper week, a 2h run on thursday, knowing that my B race(70.3) is sunday.
No way i’m gonna do that, i’ve openned a case

1 Like

My back is Recovering well from being trapped nerve. I can almost get into my TT position.for Sundays race. I actually have a little confidence back….

I’m just finalising my nutrition. The video of race briefing said that there will be food at a feed station for the 70.3 event loop. I emailed the organiser to clarify what food it will be. They say energy bars and Welsh cakes. Welsh cakes? I’m there! I may buy some to just test if I can ride and eat them without them crumbling. Purely research … honest.

My current plan is to take roughly 1000 calories of food, 2x clif bars, 2x power bar. 2-3 gels and some pick n mix. to replace about 25% of the calories but doesn’t get me my carbs of about 390g (I’m aiming for 6.5hrs) based on my woeful calculations. Can anyone suggest any other tips please? I have I missed anything obvious?

I see what you did there :wink:

When I have a bad back, curiously, the only place I’m comfortable is in aero on the TT bike :man_shrugging:t2:

Good luck with the Welsh cakes…

1 Like

Thanks, the feed stop is at every lap of seven. that’s seven opportunities to eat welsh cakes… I may not make the run course!

1 Like

So as an update, I stepped down from Lanzarote Full to a new race - Northumbrian 70.3 that I completed this weekend. The race was overshadowed by some technical hitches, but the legs held well on the bike despite a series of mechanicals. Run volume was lacking and it showed on raceday (a hilly trail) sadly. Still completed the event and after a bit of recovery, I’ll be ready to go again :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Definitely have a plan B for if you lose your BTS bottles. It can be have a backup concentrate in special needs that you only plan to snag if you lose a bottle, it can be taking whatever sugar-water they’ve got on course or it could be a whole mess of gels in a bento box.

If you’re really worried about launching bottles, a bit of skateboard grip tape on the bottle cage will hold things tight. I wouldn’t do it all the time because it will tear up your bottles, but for races, works like a charm. You could also look at adding some zip-ties to the cages to increase holding tension.

2 Likes

Four weeks out from Outlaw Full and I’ve just tested positive for COVID - I missed the last week of training due to a conference and now I’m feeling rattled. I’m thinking that I’ve got enough training banked up to see me through, and fingers crossed that I can still fit in at least two long brick sessions before the event and will probably adjust the tapering period to reflect the likelihood of having two weeks off!

Part of me wants to cancel but I can’t get a refund or defer so I may aswell line up with no expectations or pressures on myself… Right?

1 Like

Do people feel bad when they have to ditch their water bottles during an IM? :thinking::joy: I’m thinking I should try to find some cheapo ones at the dollar store or something so I’m not tossing my bottles I have attachment too. :smiley:

2 Likes

Ha ha I hang on to my old used worn out bottles. Those that have hit the ground a few to many times, and the spouts no longer really seal. I save them specifically for races to discard. I am just about to go look in the closet for a couple for this Sunday

1 Like