The Ironman Training 2021 Thread

I also had the chafing thing, which is new for me. I attribute it to all the sighting I was doing; more than usual.

Not to derail too much, but did you try the Maurten on course? It was my first time with it, and I handled it fine (though liquid-ish stuff has never been a problem for me.) I was surprised by how… chewy? it was. Also, I felt like the flavor/sweetness lingered a lot longer than a typical gel. It was generally fine though, but I’m not going to be paying near-on $4 a pop outside of aid stations.

Sidenote: There was a guy on a cruiser next to me in T1; just looked him up and he DNFed the bike unfortunately. Hard course for a cruiser, that’s for sure!

2 Likes

Ha - I tried the Maurten on the course as well. The “lumpy” texture (also being warm from the sun) made that a one time experience. I am a fan of SIS, I don’t mind its running “like snot” texture, the Maurten might work well, but I will not be purchasing Mauten anytime soon.

2 Likes

I used the Maurten gels for the first time in my last race. Their 320 drink mix is my go-to and cost per calorie is very reasonable. The gel texture is acquired ;). I bought a box and have been using them since - I actually quite like it now.

If you persevere a little I’m sure you’ll get over the texture. I won’t forget the hot mess feeling the first time I used it though :rofl:

1 Like

well. I’m moving from TR to using an actual coaching service starting Monday - so I cancelled my membership for now. not sure if I’ll still have forum access moving forward or not. Eagleman is June 13ish, Maryland proper in September. Just wanted that extra accountability for my first full.

on a personal, somewhat TMI note

I posted a week or so about a hernia related issue that popped-up 2 weekends in a row during a brick workout. Lots of tests in the last week - xrays, ultrasound, CT scan… and we decided its not a hernia. We couldn’t actually find anything wrong with me at all.

Last stop was the urologist. and the problem really was, TMI alert, one of my boys sometimes likes to hide during exercise (and sex) under certain temperature conditions. Doc says just, you know, push him back down into place when it happens and move on. Only a problem if there’s pain. Said its actually pretty common, men just never talk about these things. He said that if more people did triathlons, he seems to think he’d see more people in his office for this.

So… I’m still a little nervous to hit the pavement, but we’ll see what happens. Consider this a PSA. Our bodies are weird.

2 Likes

Thanks @JoeX

Had a good April leading into St. George 70.3

Week 1 - 15:40
Week 2 - 18:30
Week 3 - 14:30
Week 4 - 13:10 Race Week

Being the first long course race Ive had in 2, I was pretty happy how St. George went for me.

Swam a 29:51. I was pleasantly surprised by this cause my expectation was to be around 32-33 mins. Like everyone, have had a hard time getting in the pool and finding any feel for the water.

Biked a 2:15 flat. NP was 285, AP was 272. Bike is my strong suit and felt as good as I could, 2nd overall age grouper bike time of everyone.

Ran a 1:35:57. This was a slower from expectations but I had a few bad spots with some side stitches that forced me to walk a few times. But was able to run decent when I could. Could have been nutrition, hydration or whatever, but hope it was just me forgetting what racing feels like again.

In the end, finished in 4:26:39, good enough for 4th in age group and 19th overall age group racers, and was about 8 mins slower from my 2019 time. But got my spot for 70.3 Worlds and will be back with better fitness. In the meantime this race was a good shakeout to work on a few things and be ready for CdA Ironman on June 27th.

11 Likes

Cheers @JoeX

Although I’m not exactly training like a triathlete I’ll probably be one again one day! I deferred an entry from IMWA last year so I’ve an entry to use on a race in the next three years. I’ve half an eye on IMWA next year as I age up again and could do OK.

So as per the last year or so only riding for me in April (plus 2 strength sessions per week) which looks like this

So roughly around 450km/14hrs/800TSS per week

I’m trying to turn an old diesel into a crit/road racer which is a bit of a challenge :smile:I moved from a base period into a version of the Short Power Build along with some group rides and races at weekends. Very different types of training sessions to what I’ve been used to over the past few years.

One longer road race and a few crits, two of which were back to back during April. Race performances are improving and I’m beginning to gradually feel stronger. We are moving from crit to road season here so some longer, tougher races are on the horizon :scream:

3 Likes

It’s a public forum :+1:

Let us know how it goes, Ive never had a coach but I’ll give you a fiver if they don’t suggest less bike intensity :wink: :smile:

3 Likes

lets not open that can of worms again :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I just did my first crit in 5 years a couple days ago. But instead of trying to convert the diesel into a crit racing machine, I just entered with the big old Diesel engine. I hung onto the main group but man all those mini sprints at 800-1000W every 2min really sapped the energy from the legs. The next day I was able to do my 14km run but then in the evening I got on the bike and it wasn’t happening no matter how far I lowered the intensity. It’s a different beast for sure. Fun but different.

3 Likes

I didn’t see the guy on a cruiser. That would be rough!

I did use some of the Maurten gels on the course and had Maurten 320 in my bottles when I started. I got some (at a good discount in a sample box) to use in training after seeing what they were going to have on the course. They are typically very easy on my stomach, but I’m not a huge fan of the thickness. I much prefer the consistency of SIS gels which are nearly always on a sale of some kind.

1 Like

Congrats on a very strong finish on a very hard course! Those times are incredible. That must have put you somewhere in the top 100?

Are you doing the Half Distance High Volume plan?

Ain’t that the truth. When it’s hard it’s brutal! It can only make you a better rider though and that’s what I’m finding. I’m setting new all time power PB’s and a new HR max which isn’t too bad at 48.

Years of predominantly endurance/sweet spot riding does have some advantages though. I’m finding in some longer races/hard group rides I tend to be relatively stronger at the end as long as can stay with the hard surges and attacks at the start :sweat_smile:

Thanks, it was good enough for 62nd when you count the professionals. I do a mix of Mid Vol and High. I’m actually do the Mid Vol Full plan but I add extra rides on Sundays and change some of the harder rides to some that I believe help me more. Like Changing Polar Bear for something like one of the Marcus Baker workouts.

Then all my swimming and running are in my own, usually try for 3-4 swims a week and run 6 days a week, along with the 5 rides. Then I have 2-3 strength sessions a week as well.

3 Likes

Had my first long indoor bike this year, 3hrs on Town Hill plus a bit more. Not as hard as I remembered they used to be, just watching triathlon stuff on YouTube. Note to self - bib shorts not as comfortable as Tri shorts in aero.

2 Likes

Full bringing in half bikes

Well, I guess you’re just getting less aerobic endurance development than with full bikes which I don’t think the intensity makes up for. It’s better than not training though, so if you can make time for a few of the really long rides that may cover you.

Thanks for the detailed reply! Looks like you’re putting in lots of work and it’s paying off for you.

Thanks @JoeX. After bailing on St. George 70.3, I did a local Olympic on Sunday. Unfortunately, it was rough for me. One of my glutes cramped coming out of T1. I think I may have pulled it while struggling to get my wetsuit off. (I just cut 2.5 inches off the legs, to hopefully fix that going forward.) After spending ten minutes trying to ride while rubbing my butt in pain, I pulled over and stopped to stretch and massage more thoroughly for a couple minutes. That reduced the pain enough to continue the race, but I didn’t push hard on the rest of the bike or the run. So I’m a bit disappointed in my time, but I’m happy with my grit.

I’m starting the 80/20 Level 1 IM plan for Ironman Arizona (my first full). I did TR Low Volume Full Distance Base and Build last year, before bailing when Covid make it clear IM Arizona wouldn’t happen that year. It will be interesting to contrast them. The 80/20 plan doesn’t have as many long runs and bikes during the early build, so I may extend some. But it does have more long mid-week workouts, which I’ll have to work into my schedule. Anyhow, I’m feeling good now and am motivated to push on!

2 Likes

I’m actually having a rest day today… it doesn’t happen too often … but is today :grin:

2 Likes

I messed up Dade -1 trying to use my Garmin Edge indoors today.

So instead of

I got

A solid 1hr vo2 session followed by a 1hr run, replaced by 44mins of faffing followed by a glass of red wine.

:roll_eyes::wine_glass:

9 Likes