The Ironman Training 2021 Thread

:frowning:

This is the reason I hate swimming, this is my worst fear on mass start (not saying this was what happened in this case). So sad…

1 Like

Yeah, rough. My wife was pretty upset too; watched compressions for quite a while. :pensive:

Very sad.

1 Like

Another month gone

Managed to maintain the consistency this month and get a bit more swimming in.
Also managed to get in my first Half Marathon+ run in almost 2 years and a ride beyond 5hrs (270 TSS)

7 Likes

7 weeks until outlaw 70.3 what do people think about swapping out the 140.6 longer bike workouts for the 70.3, I am 3 weeks before the end of build and then plan builder has me going back into base.

Which plan are you on; half bring in full bikes, or full bringing in half bikes?

And another late roll call!

Let me know if I’ve left you out and you want to be in, or if you’re in and you want to be out :slight_smile:

@bfrostieone
@Robbo64
@RenA
@Jitse
@Nelson_Dechant
@teetopmlp
@achin
@EagleAllan
@jdmccoskey
@rouleur66

@PGCons
@liberosis
@jameswestgate
@tamizboule
@winoria
@Andrew_Sturgess
@cheese458
@EdToogood
@Stuart_Steele1
@bbortegalovera28

@AJBotha
@Mitch54321
@jessec
@mikepstein
@julianm
@JP77
@Gnome
@KickrLin
@BenSwimsBikesRuns
@RyanGutenkunst

1 Like

@harrystokoe
@nicco
@JustinDoesTriathlon
@TriJustin
@AlGray
@Jamie_Berry
@GeorgeAnderson
@Nervous_Energy
@Sweatyzach
@duje.jelaska

@pconaty
@jmichalofsky
@bloya89
@windyyet
@agbatten
@liberosis
@ap13
@KlemenSj
@ArtOF
@Javifeu

@marmar
@ericallenboyd
@Ruliana
@wyku
@Titus
@Bioteknik
@Jeesh
@SteveM
@IceBear

@Simo429
@jonathan.naim
@Michael_Tate
@cfox2008
@ashman07
@TG333
@Murph333
@steclark
@sthwaite
@WildWill

Well done to everyone who got to race in April, there are a few local duathlons here in London in May so triathlon getting more likely in June onwards :slight_smile:

W/C Plan/Race Week Bike TSS Run TSS Swim TSS Lift TSS Hours
29/03/2021 Olympic Base HV 2 292 225 86 57 10h 46m
05/04/2021 Olympic Base HV 3 356 258 109 30 11h 36m
12/04/2021 Olympic Base HV 4 192 94 160 0 6h 16m
19/04/2021 Olympic Base HV 5 324 144 170 32 10h 29m
26/04/2021 Olympic Base HV 6 313 102 165 32 9h 5m

Ive hit a rough patch at the end of Olympic HV Base, most likely due to non-training stress, but only my run has suffered. Bike sessions are the apocryphal “tough but doable”, only missed one. Swims are shortened but tough.

Not in April, but as I started Build yesterday I have to admit my ramp test didn’t go so well despite good compliance I lost 8W and am down to 265W.

Oh and here’s a little meme I butchered:

6 Likes

I was dreading this :frowning:
I have just taken 2 weeks off for no other reason that life got in the way of a lot of things and I couldn’t face the bike or the run or anything.

I knew this reminder was coming and I hopped on the turbo and fired off a ramp test a you know what I popped out an FTP increase too. I had been training well until the break this goes to show. the time off I have lost a few lbs so I am working on getting moving again. I have 2 hr run listed this evening which is going to be swapped out for something else as I am definitely not in the mood for that kind of run but doing happy is the plan

3 Likes

I had a very strange last week…

Start of build phase and its the first time i have done a ramp test in the TT position, just spent a fair amount getting a good fit and decided to start training in the new position with 3 months to go after slowly building into it. To my horror my FTP actually went up by 2 to my measly 216w which I was not expecting.

Been looking at my diet a little more and purposely adding more carbs via pasta, laying of the bread still otherwise every meal just ends up being half a loaf of bread :slight_smile: and it seems to be working in terms of energy levels (apart from the V02 run when I had a tough day at work and forgot to eat for it, you live and learn as they say,

3 Likes

Tulsa month is here!
70.3 tune up this week then into my taper
Last weekend I finished my biggest brick and feel completely ready to crush this ironman.
Saturday: 100 miles at IM pace… Landed within 1 watt NP, with a 12mile brick. Felt really strong on the run, ran it even faster than planned. So sticking to my actual goal pace (7:15-7:30)should fare well.
Sunday: 20 Mile run. First time even running 20 miles.

8 Likes

I also participated in St. George - Wowwwwwwww

Agree with Justin, its beautiful and the most challenging course I’ve ever done! I shredded my calf 6 weeks ago so knew going in I was going to walk the run course. Also coming from the PNW the 93 degree heat made me melt.

The swim was a 1 loop - rolling start - four people every 5 seconds - self seed based on expected swim finish time (as Justin mentioned we lost another in the swim RIP). I echo the need to allow people to get in the water - even if its just a brief dip to get wet and get some cold water on your face/in your suit.

The bike - mostly smooth roads - lots of people on the course causing the odd right side passing. Snow Canyon is no joke - its incredibly beautiful - and the last two miles are freaking steep!

The run - the course if very hilly - very little flat - you are going up or down the entire time! 80% is in the red rock hills - the views again are spectacular.

St George is a great city and venue - I am glad I made the trip even knowing it wasn’t going to be my best effort. Spent a day at Zion park the day after, if you are in the area that needs to be on your list to visit!

10 Likes

I might be done for the foreseeable future. I’ve had two hernia surgeries in the past (right in 2015, left in 2018) and it felt like the right one went again last week. All I have done since is sleep in. Luckily it does not hurt too bad and I am mostly functional. I am meeting with my doctor today to evaluate and discuss options.

On top of that my local sprint triathlon was just canceled. Loosing motivation…

3 Likes

Not much training on my side. Did the afib ablation on the 6th of April so took 2/3 weeks off before and 2 weeks off after. I’ve started short jogs (~30 min 4times a week) and short easy bikes 3 times a week (between 30 and 1h like pettit…)
The good news is that it’s been one month and I haven’t had an afib episode! I used to get one for a couple of days every 7 to 10 days so definitely an improvement :slight_smile: we’ll see what happens when I train more.
This week I’m planning to start doing the usual barryp and increase to 6 easy runs.
Next week I’m starting again strength.
The unknown for now is when I’m starting ssb! I’m in the adaptive training beta so keen to see what it looks like but I want to take things slowly. I’ll play it by ears but I think I’ll ramp test in a couple of weeks…

6 Likes