The Ironman Training 2020 Thread

Hey everyone,

Quick update. On 10 November I completed my first middle distance triathlon, Challenge Cape Town in a time of 5:36. I didn’t do a full report in the 2019 thread, but the TLDR is swim was brutal (even the pro’s got lost on course due to poor marking and big swell), so I was happy with a 41 min. Bike went super well (2:38). I’m a rubbish runner so did 2:07. (+4 min portaloo stop at T2).

After Challenge, I had an easy week, then another low volume “taper” week as I had the final round of the 5150 African Triathlon Series which also went well by my standards (2:45). Last week I took it easy and this is my first week back. Repeating 8-week Half Distance, Mid Volume, Speciality plan again.

My goals for this training block:

1. higher plan compliance (last time I skipped a few workouts)
  2. improve my run. Hoping to take off about 7-8 minutes. Will be working with a running coach the next few weeks.
  3. improved rest & recovery. This includes better quality (and quantity) sleep and slightly improved diet.

As IM70.3 South Africa is my home race, I will be doing quite a bit of my training on the course (which is where I’ve done most of my training anyways).

@JoeX you can also put me down for Challenge Cape Town 2020 again. Takes place on 8 November. They’ve opened early bird entries for 2019 competitors at a bargain price, so I’ve already paid and entered.

2 Likes

All positive I’m sure! :grinning: Welcome back to suffering…

1 Like

That is super cool! Great strides in training too, looks like an exciting 2020 in store for you :tada:

Wow, big news and I’m jealous. The suburbs of London are a darn sight better than inner London, but not a patch on that.

I bought SciCon box last April for flying London to Lanzarote, it doubles as great bike storage too.

Yes, from Excel and Numbers.

I didn’t include lifting either.

Good to see lots of non-zero Swim numbers

Swimming is FUN!!

1 Like

Holla!

@JoeX that’s excellent timing, I just had to bail on tonight’s workout, right now I’m a sad puddle of fatigue and failure.

Overall though things are going well. You should commit to Oman because it’ll be fireworks!

For this block I’ve upped my running. Not going full BarryP, but running more often and most of it very slowly. I do one very hard interval session, one not-so-long long run (15-17k) and two or three short and easy runs. Game changer. It feels like I’m getting much more quality out of my key session and it is easier to squeeze in the easy short ones into a life. My 1000m repeats are improving significantly. If things continue on this trajectory I can probably bag a few running PRs along the way.

On the bike I’ve graduated from low to mid volume. Felt like I hit a plateau and needed to do something different. FTP is still 0.2w/kg below season best, but sustainable power in aero is higher than ever. I stick with the smaller numbers and do more hard work in my aero bars and it shows.

In the Pool things remain dreary, but better than before. Hitting the pool at least once a week regularly already shows effect, but I also see that it only gets me so far. Sadly, there simply is no time to do more. I try to squeeze in a second swim whenever I can, but it is tough. My times are plateauing in the high 1:30s, which isn’t great but I’m okay with it as long as my run and bike times keep improving.

Overall volume is up by about 15% compared to previous seasons.

Edit: Here’s my volume S/B/R

3 Likes

North Carolina Oct 17, 2020. Haha, sorry about that.

I’m in for Penticton full in August and the CDA half late June. Currently a few weeks into SSB1. I will be doing SSB 1 and 2, followed by the full 28 week Full distance triathlon plan. Super excited!

3 Likes

In for Ironman Arizona. Have had a long layoff on the bike after marathons the last two years. Anyone been in a similar situation? Suggestions welcomed! Looking forward to following this thread.

2 Likes

Thanks for the shout @JoeX but to clarify, I’m thinking of blue ridge for 2021, but i will be doing savageman 70 next year on sep 20.

1 Like

Doh! Thought I’d finally got it right🙂

Welcome!

I’ve not been in that situation but I’d suggest starting with Sweet Spot Base LV 1 and after six weeks revaluate with what you’ve learned.

Your FD plan should end speciality on IM Arizona race day, working back from there through build and base should give you your start date.

Sounds great😀

1 Like

Don’t worry, there’s plenty more of that to come :wink:

2 Likes

I’m into 3rd week of base.

November:
swim
bike
Run

2 Likes

@Joex has really been keeping this topic… on topic!

1 Like

Ah cool, Brazil is on my wish list. Well done!

1 Like

Yup. Hoping to get thru sweet spot 1&2 and a portion of sustained power build and then transition into the IM plans (likely starting with sweet spot).

I’m curious how much of a hole I’ve created by being off the bike for so long and how long it’ll take to get back to respectable numbers. All the while trying to stay healthy.

1 Like

Kinda curious of people’s thoughts actually, now that I think about it:

I’m a few weeks into SSBMV1. The way the timing works, I can do SSB 1 and 2, and then the full 28 base, build, specialty full triathlon plan. That’s what I was suggested to do on another forum. That make sense to everyone, or maybe sneak a build in somewhere in exchange for so much base?

EDIT: Oh wow, I just did the new plan builder. Fascinating!
It suggested I start immediately with Full distance base Mid for 12 weeks, 8 weeks of full build, 8 weeks of full base, 3 weeks of Full build, 8 weeks of full distance specialty, and a recovery week.
[Note, there is a b race in there too, fyi.]

Maybe I should switch it up?

2 Likes