Thank you TR for putting your money where your mouth is

It’s honestly pretty gross that all of you can’t control yourselves and take your political commentary to the thread that was designed for it. A little self control would go a long way. All of these comments are off-topic and the thread should be locked as it is so far from its original intent.

I am really, really confused. What recent comments are you labeling as “pretty gross?”

Ultimately what it comes down to is that until we address wider societal issues around bias, discrimination and outright racism/sexism, we won’t be able to have fair hiring practices.

I for one would prefer not to see a race blind hiring. Some versions of this even erase achievements if they are related to race based organisations.

1 Like

Who are you mad with?

When did systemic racism become only ‘political’ and/or ‘commentary’?

Perhaps instead of being angry about two threads in operation, ask for them to be merged. A ‘thanking TR for taking a public stance against racial violence and injustice’ thread goes hand-in-hand with a ‘How do we eliminate racial violence and injustice’ thread. The two are not exclusive.

:v:

4 Likes

You said in your post above,

I agree but with a modification, moving the conversation to a thread dedicated to a more politically inclined thread was what I was referring to. As you said things being said here may get you, “pissed off and inevitably start a war here in a non-political forum.”

That is all I’m trying to accomplish and I am not weighing in one bit on the commentary itself.

Hopefully that clears it up. I’m not opining on the commentary itself just trying to keep this one a bite more positive and use the other thread as an outlet for the other stuff…

But if it continues here then I suppose that is what it is.

1 Like

Systemic racism is not ‘politically inclined’. It is societally inclined.

On the ‘Things need to change’ thread, ‘Trump’ is mentioned exactly one time…out of 100+ posts.
That’s less than 1% for you number nerds out there.

The ‘TRAINERROAD APPROVED’ post:

Main point is ‘unity’, so let’s unite the two threads and do away with wasting time on incredibly trivial matters.

[edit: thank you @Stringwise for your clarification. Have a good ride. :v: ]

4 Likes

Sounds good :+1:

Late to the party - but so glad to see TR stand up for what’s right, as well as Nate and Jonathan’s posts about this. Respect :v:

2 Likes

It’s good to be able to feel so good about where some of my money goes every month. Not only do I get faster but I know the people behind it are solid people. Thanks so much Nate.

I’m trying to do my part to educate myself as a white person and spread those learnings, so I’ll suggest anyone who is interested in the history check out this twitter thread by a black historian/educator: https://twitter.com/ericabuddington/status/1266531249914601472?s=12

7 Likes

Good job TrainerRoad, and particularly good job @Nate_Pearson. It’s a telling footnote to the whole situation how much it clearly cost you emotionally and financially just to make what should be a non-controversial statement. Know that it’s appreciated, at least from this user.

4 Likes

@Stringwise where can we donate to your efforts?

@Nate_Pearson I want to thank you for not only having a voice but also taking action. It is an unusual for organizations and their leaders to speak out and while some will donate, they do not make their position public. I have been a TR user for years but with this action you have solidified my business until I can no longer pedal. Thank you and I made a donatation.

1 Like

PM sent - I’m working on it. Just to be clear it’s their effort I am simply the messenger and a fan.

@Nate_Pearson - I applaud your efforts in these trying times. Well done.
However, in this day and age of gofundme and social media causes, giving money is no longer real action. I would urge you as CEO to take real meaningful action which will show your true commitment.
As CEO, replace yourself permanently on the weekly podcast with a qualified black man beginning next week. This will show true commitment. I am trying to think back and recall if you have ever had a POC on the podcast as a host or guest. I cannot remember seeing one.
Step up and take real action which you have 100% control and authority to do.

I thank you in advance for any consideration you would give to this, and I understand how difficult this would be for you to do, but as a leader, you must take the first step.

1 Like

I was listening to Nate’s video on youtube today and I have to say a similar thought crossed my mind (though I have not seen or listened to every podcast). I trust Nate will be open-minded and genuinely listen to suggestions such as yours, certainly more than most in his position would be willing to. I thought it would be great to get the L39ion guys on or Josh Hartman? I’ve read Josh’s story, really inspiring. I know Reggie Miller is a big mountainbiker too…

1 Like

In all seriousness, you don’t need Nate to do anything. You could start a cycling podcast, the barriers to entry are nearly zero, and bring on the POC you think would be appropriate. You could have total control of content, guests, etc.

Relying on others to change their minds or actions leaves us in a position that lacks power.

5 Likes

Donated. Didn’t sign up for any races this year so might as well put that money to good use.

2 Likes

The most important thing Nate and TrainerRoad did was not the donation. It was taking a public and clear stance, and putting TrainerRoad decisively on one-side of a contentious issue. It was taking action. This will effect who subscribes to TR and who wants to work at TrainerRoad. It surely will cost TrainerRoad revenue in the short-term. It also sets the tone for the TrainerRoad company culture. It was an important and useful move. It should be applauded.

With that said, promoting diversity in cycling is important, and while I don’t think Nate should replace himself on the podcast (seriously, Nate, don’t do this), I would love to see more diversity represented by other podcast guests / hosts.

9 Likes

What is the point of that? Do we really have to go that way where every office/tv show/movie MUST have at least one black, one asian, one gay person for it to be not racist or sexist or homophobic or whatever?

1 Like