Talk me into something stupid - 10 day stage race

A 10 Day Stage Race around the Michigan UP just popped up on the calendar. Starts 8/15/19 so 28 weeks from now.

I had a goal for the year of doing something epic and stupid and this checks those boxes with a big red X.

10 Stages - ranging from 90 to 130 miles and 1,400 to 5,745ft of climbing.

Looking at some past records I’ve done exactly 2.8 centuries (don’t ask about the .8, I’m still bitter) and while I’ve gotten a few races in the 3,750+ft range, nothing over 4k besides zwift. Oh and these records were all a few years back soooooo - lets do this?

If I were to do such a stupid thing - what would a good plan be?

I’m about 2 weeks into SSB-Mid-II. I planned on doing my slew of track, crits, with a sprinkling of MTB races but I’m willing to cut way way back on those to get ready for this.

https://tourdayoopeh.com/

Based on your past experience with Century events, it seems like you will be riding these at a more sustained pace, is that correct? In other words, your goals will not be to make the breakaway, contest a sprint finish, or snag the King of the Mountain jersey, but rather, you want to finish the event strong. Is that correct?

If that is the case, I would recommend the following training progression:

SSB I and II
Sustained Power Build
Century Specialty

This plan is designed to prepare you for long rides at a steady output, which will improve your endurance and leave you less beat at the end of a long day in the saddle :slight_smile:

If you expect this to be a more dynamic event, with attacks and bursts of intense riding, let me know and we can workshop your plan a little bit :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for the response

Survival would be the goal, finishing sounds like a stretch goal.

I’m essentially on this path already - was going to go to criterium after sustained given my planned focus. Would you stick at mid vol or try to get more in given the demands of the days.

The best volume for you is not determined by the event itself, but by what you can handle as an athlete.

A lot of things factor into your ability to handle and adapt to training stress. Specifically:

• Life Stress. Are you a parent? Do you have a stressful job?
  • Sleep
  • Nutrition
  • Genetics
  • Psychological factors
  • Availiable time to train
  • Availiable time to recover

You need to access the volume of training you’ve done in the past under similar life-conditions and consider how it felt. Were you hanging on by a thread, or was it fairly easy? This will help you to determine the level of training that you are able to handle.

And keep in mind, it is always better to start low and add onto it. Biting off more than you can chew and then having to step back and recover from the hole you dug yourself is not the best way to go. You can have great results on the Mid-Volume plan as long as maintain a high level of consistency on and off the bike :boom:

2 Likes