Switching to Favero from Vector 3s

I have been using the Garmin vector 3s for the past two and a half years and keep experiencing dropouts. I have gone through three replacements and still no improvement. I am planning to switch to favero assioma uno and I would like to know the following from those who have experience with using vector 3s and assioma uno:

• How accurate is the favero uno when compared to the vector 3s?
  • How will favero behave on rail trails and other gravel roads such as fire roads and sand? I don’t plan on riding any singletrack with favero though.
  • Is favero reliable? Do dropouts regularly happen?

I don’t have any data on your first two questions but my Duos have been rock solid reliable and accurate. The pics below compare the pedals to the trainer. There’s always a small amount of separation over short intervals, but less than 1% difference almost everywhere. It’s very rare for me to have dropout issues.

1 Like

thanks! Glad to hear that there are no dropouts

Just curious… I’ve been using vector now for about three months without droputs. When did your problems start? A bit worried since I’ve heard alot about vector dropouts. Bought mine on sale, otherwise I’d choose assioma, based on reviews.

/JB

Vector dropouts are almost always to do with the batteries rattling about - worse after you have changed the batteries a couple of times. General consensus is that with the current (3rd or 4th?) iteration of battery doors the dropout problem is pretty much eliminated.

That said I went for favero and don’t regret it.

The switch to a single (larger) battery rather than two smaller ones also apparently helps, as it removes one of the contact areas. Check out DCRainmaker’s review of the new Garmin powermeters, he describes both battery types.

No dropouts with Favero, consistent figures, mount them and forget about problems…

Also, it is integrated and you do not have to remove and replace the battery I think. You only need to charge it via a magnetic charger and I can see how this reduces the contact with the battery when compared to the vector 3s.

@JayB it is very easy to damage the threads on the vector pedal’s battery door and this leads to dropouts. Also fretting becomes common and using mineral oil didn’t really help a lot. Garmin provides good customer service but not good products. I am fed up with the cycle of ride and replace. I also think reason why favero is better in my opinion is their compliance with European Union’s technical standards.

1 Like

Ok, I’ll see what happens. Also, I will try using one large battery when switching.

/JB

+1 for Favero. My Unos have been problem free since day one.

You absolutely should not have drop out problems. You need to make sure that you are on the latest door/battery board. The V3’s still test as some of the most accurate pedal base power meter.

I MTB ride my local trails with my V3 on my gravel bike and have countless miles of gravel riding with a set of V3’s I own.

I literally have no issues with them and just ordered some Rally XC for cyclocross and MTB racing.

I would make sure you have the latest update firmware and doors (the battery prongs are 4 fingers on both the door and board). You also want to make sure that every BT app that is connected to the V3’s is closed or off when you ride or it will cause dropouts from the system trying to figure out which master to go with.

I hope this helps!

1 Like

My assiomas have been perfect since I got them 1.5 years ago, I don’t recall a single dropout. I’ve used them on gravel and rail trails without any issues but never take them anywhere that could risk damaging them so the trails I got on with them are pretty tame, use mtb pedals for the rough stuff.

No experience with Assiomas but have had dropout issues with my vector 3. On the road they work great. It’s the indoor training environment where I run into issues. Perhaps too much interference and when the battery starts getting lower I start experiencing dropouts. I’ve got up to date doors, switched to single batteries and use oil and it has made them better. But I don’t get any warning other than a massive interruption to my workout that they are getting low. Just the other day they were showing at 85% yet I had to change them. I wish the battery level was accurate.

This is where I mentioned making sure you only have one master device on.

If you have Garmin Connect open on your phone and Trainer Road on BT open anywhere else it will cause interference or if you have Trainer Road open on your phone and a BT head unit (computer not on Ant) running it will cause a dropout issue.

The battery status in trainer road device is not accurate for the V3’s. I don’t recall why but somewhere in this forum it was mentioned why. This is unless the new iOS update fixed that.

I personally only have the pedals connected to one device being TR. But between other ANT+ and bluetooth devices wireless router and all the other wireless devices and routers I can see near me, I find that a constant source of drop outs when the batteries start getting low.

The only thing that worries me about assiomas is that I can’t replace the batteries. So as the rechargeable battery starts to degrade the life I can expect to get could diminish. Not sure how much of a problem this really is though.

I had the same concern but it was stated in a few reviews that the batteries are rated for so many charge cycles that an average user would be using them for 10 years before the max capacity dropped to 80% - which is still 40 hours :+1:

This is from the favero website…

3. Durability over time

Assioma’s lithium-ion batteries have been designed to guarantee an operating time of at least 50 hours and, especially, to maintain an excellent performance over time.

Before being integrated into the sensor, each battery is individually tested in house by Favero Electronics to ensure maximum durability and performance. The battery of Assioma has been designed for professional long lasting applications : after 500 complete recharges (i.e. from completely discharged to fully charged) its capacity is reduced by only 20%. Note that 500 recharges are more than 25,000 hours of use!

A reduction of 20% of its capacity means that the battery will last 40 hours instead of 50, but only after hundreds of complete recharges!

1 Like

Same here, around < 50-60% drops, but no drop outs at all until less than that.
It is annoying they seem to be 90% and all of a sudden they are at 50% and I have dropouts but have been good apart from that.

Assioma’s - can’t remember the reason I ruled them out, how is the stack and Q factor?

1 Like

Stack - 10.5mm
Q factor - +54mm

I’m using the latest battery doors that Garmin sent me free of charge. Never had any issues. I use the LR44/SR44 batteries and put a tiny bit of mineral oil to ensure good contact between them.
Now it looks like Garmin recommend CR1/N3 batteries. I’ve bought a pair but yet to use them. I guess in theory they should eliminate any contact issues.

I have probably 30000 miles on my V3S. I had some problems early on, but got a free battery compartment replacement from Garmin and the problem hasn’t been back. They start to drop out after about a month now which is when I replace batteries, and I just use cheap ones (so roughly 800-1000 miles).