Sweet Spot Progression

Not sure what 3x10 (+5) means. You have 48 minutes time in zone, which a 3x16 would add up to, but I can’t work out how 3x10 +5 can ever add up to 48.

The next one 4x12.5 (+3) adds up to 53 minutes time in zone if you did 4x12.5 and a 5th interval of 3 minutes.

2 Likes

Going over FTP for such a long period, I’d replace one of your forthcoming workouts with a FTP/TTE test :+1:

Ha, you are right dude, the first one is a typo.

The +5 or +3 you see was a tiny opening interval after my warmup and I couldn’t see why those shouldn’t be counted at that stage - it’s time in zone just the same.

This past week I’ve done 2x25 (+5) for a tiz of 55 and a 3x20 tiz 60.

Next week I’ll likely do a 2x28 and 3x22 or something along those lines.

I’m operating under the understanding of driving progress naturally rather than forcing it.

1 Like

Including time from the warm up maybe? :man_shrugging:
Edit: responded as I was typing :point_up:

One more working week, then is rest week, then retest. What I’m doing is using my ramp test number to build up TTE (cause we all know that the TR ramptest over estimates ftp here).

The goal really is to get to the point I can hold say 300W for 90 minutes.

By my reckoning that means I’m in a pretty good position for racing this season with that as a base

1x120@90% done today. Honestly the experience is not vastly different than 1x90, maybe even easier mentally as there was a challenge and not another workout :slight_smile: The hydration and cooling were of course the key. Probably there is no point going longer with training.

If I add 30 minutes to this I could SST whole course I would like to try as my first ever race :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Good lord you lads are smashing out some rides :exploding_head:

Great job!

cries in hasn’t done a trainer ride over 1 hour yet

2 Likes

Everything comes with time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Regarding hydration, what did you have in your bottle?

I noticed during the 2x45min SSTs that only water will make things harder :smiley:

For this particular ride 1l of water with electrolytes and 2x1l of carbs (60g per bottle). Doing long SST on water only is doable but why make things harder? Especially if this can easily derail your training.

1 Like

Hi all,

Been reading through this topic, certainly extensive! I’ve put a plan together around my troublesome work schedule and also centred around 2 heavy lower body strength workouts per week.

D - day shift (06.30-18.30)
N - night shift (18.30-06.30)
Blue - day off!

ZRL - Zwift racing league race typically 45m length, full gas efforts.
TTT - Zwift team time trial, fairly high effort, not typically exhaustive.

I’m not an expert as you will no doubt see from the way I have put this together.

Keen for any input and or improvements to the plan for the next month.

I will be coming off a rest week ahead of my scheduled ramp test.

2 proposed plans attached.

Yep - I had 750ml with 90g carbs and electrolytes and 750ml of water/electrolytes for my 1x120 and I felt a bit under-fuelled in the last 20-30 mins. It’s a lot of work, and needs lots of carbs if you’re in a training block.

1 Like

Changed it up a little and did a tempo ride with 30 minutes SS thrown in at the end. Got some power PRs and 1.3% decoupling for the ride.

2 Likes

I recently try to overhydrate a little bit during every workout, no matter the intensity - far less consequences and helps with longer z2 rides. I have a feeling I am underfueling during the day as my nutrition is poorly dialed in so I compensate as I can on the bike.

And yes - 90g of carbs seems a little bit low, especially when considering power difference between us and even the difference in kcal burned during the workout due that.

2 Likes

I have reacted well to SS work in the past so decided to start a 6 week progression… I was confident with my FTP setting so started at 1 x 60 on Saturday:

I was not 100% sure how my legs would handle this but managed to back up with a decent high Tempo session on Sunday:

Pretty pleased with how these two sessions went so will now plan out the rest of my calendar.

11 Likes

Another endorsement for this thread as I’ve been lurking on it for a while…

I’ve been doing some more ad-hoc long SS outside in recent weeks, anywhere from 1x45 mins to 4x20 mins ranging from 90-95%. Not even doing a strict progression structure, but getting in 2-3 such rides just about every week which is still relatively new for me.

Paid off today - went out planning a 1x60 SS, and felt good so it sort of turned into a 1 hour Kolie Moore style FTP test on the fly, steadily ramping up with all time power PRs from 30 mins onward. At 60 minutes decided to call it a solid effort for the day and eased up, but I sort of regret not pushing longer. I took a very brief break and then cranked out a bit more tempo with no issues and saw that even with the short rest, I was still generating all time PRs on my power curve for the rest of the ride. And not for lack of trying such efforts previously this season - it just topped them all.

A week ago, also hit my first century over 200W (about 15W improvement over my prior bests) and did not feel wrecked - so the strength endurance seems to be helping much longer power as well.

I should also mention this is after riding about 5 years, few thousand miles a year, but pretty stagnant ramp test FTPs the past 3 years and no prior ability to demonstrate much past a 30 minute effort at my ramp test FTP. Now getting much closer - although to be fair, I haven’t ramp tested in months as I had a good idea where I was based on weekly 10 mile TT efforts much of the season.

I’m still doubtful about doing this kind of work indoors mentally - that is still a huge block for me - but I’m convinced that this kind of training is doing way more than SSB mid volume that I had done repeatedly in the past. SSB HV2 done outside this spring got me turned on to full-on SS efforts. Now I’m aiming to stick more with the comments from this thread to not even bother with < 15-20 min SS - go long!

4 Likes

I dont usually add electrolytes to mine but you’ve got me thinking - do you (we) sweat more indoors perhaps and hence need the additional electrolytes? Anyone offer any views on this - do we perhaps have more need for electrolytes indoors?

I might try adding some for the long intervals next week and see if it makes a difference.

Airflow/cooling is always going to be better outdoors, so I’d think we sweat more indoors even with multiple fans. And of course with long and continuous efforts, there’s less chance to shed heat. Also there’s more personal circumstances to take into account like diet and how salty your sweat is etc. These things could affect performance/recovery if you deplete your body’s minerals badly.

I was encouraged to use electrolytes since starting out with cycling, so I just went along with it and didn’t question it so I can’t give a before and after opinion. I now use Bulk Powders mix (currently £8.74/kg), and 1 serving is 1g, so it’s ridiculously cheap. When they’re on offer I like the convenience and taste of SIS cola/caffeine tabs, but they ain’t <1p per serving!

For the low cost, it’s a no brainer for me to continue to supplement electrolytes during rides.

2 Likes

Are any of you sweetspotters doing SSBHV1/2 this base season?

I realise the progressions in this thread make it easy to identify and organise a progression to suit your abilities/preferences easily. For users whose SST abilities are pushing up against your daily time constraints, I and others have suggested to move onto more Threshold work down the line.

However is there something to be said for the training density in the SSBHV plans? Slow twitchers won’t struggle with any individual workouts/weeks of workouts in isolation because they can SST for 60/75/90 mins straight, but are there still benefits of training density up for grabs by doing these 2 high volume blocks back to back even if you already have a decent base and muscle endurance?

Any thoughts or reading on density vs intensity? This might give me the education/inspiration to build a custom SST block of my own.

1 Like

Ha…exactly my yesterdays thoughts about SST and maybe try to increase density of the workouts. As stated in article from Kolie Moore here, there is an image of high density block based on sst. And looking at tss, every workout in isolation does not seem very hard but by increasing density it seems effective.

It basically looks like idea in SSB HV. Maybe worth trying to do something similar. It is pretty early and I do not want to go to build phase yet, as I will be doing threshold riding probably for 5 months next year. Not to mention Vo2 max block that I really do not want to do :slight_smile:

1 Like