Swami's Swamdo, anyone going? (Carlsbad, CA) Sat Nov 12

Hello, I will be vacationing in San Diego and I am close to renting a bicycle and doing the Swami’s Swamdo (2022 Swamdo - Swami's Gran Fondo - Swami's Cycling Club).
I was curious if anyone here will be doing this event?

1 Like

I’m registered to go but still 50/50 if I’ll make it out due to family commitments. If you have the chance to do it you should - it’ll be a great ride.

1 Like

I’ll be out of town this weekend, so not going to do it but I ride with Swami’s often and would definitely recommend doing the Swamdo if you can.

1 Like

Thank you @Stevie_Dee and @jonnyknight. Would you recommend the full century or the medio? I am sure I can handle the century it is more a time concern as I am leaving my wife and kids on our vacation to do this :slight_smile: If I can get the best parts of the ride on the Medio I may just do that. However, if the full should not be missed, I would do my best to swing it. Thank you for your feedback and suggestions.
I will also be renting a bike from Revolution bike shop as it is one of the few places that I could find anywhere to rent a bike.

I just checked the page and it says “Revised route pending” for both rides, so difficult to comment but I think you’ll be happy either way. Swami’s has a handful of routes they cycle through for their weekend group rides and they’re all good.

We had a fair amount of rain yesterday but we’re back to sunny skies and cool temps which are supposed to last through the weekend, so it should be ideal weather for cycling.

Cool little shop right on Coast Highway that serves as the meetup location for the Sat group ride and pretty sure it’s the official shop of Swami’s cycling club. Stephane and crew will get you dialed.

Have fun and whatever you end up doing, please report back with a post-ride report.

1 Like

Here’s the description of the two long rides:
Full Century Route: 106 miles / 8,329’
Check-in time: 6:00 AM
Start time: 6:30 AM
Route: Revised route pending
4 Rest Stops: 3 stops at Olive Hill Rd/Mission Rd (7-Eleven gas station) + 1 stop at Horse Creek Ridge Park on Horse Ranch Creek Rd/Gold Palomino Way

Medio Route: 66 miles / 5,102’
Start time: 8:00 AM
Route: Revised route pending
3 Rest Stops: 2 stops at Olive Hill Rd/Mission Rd (7-Eleven gas station) + 1 stop at Horse Creek Ridge Park on Horse Ranch Creek Rd/Gold Palomino Way.

I’ll probably opt for the medio route myself. I can’t comment on the course itself as I’m newish to the area and I’m not familiar with the route.

1 Like

Thank you.
Rental confirmed and registered for the Swamdo. You don’t have to decide at registration what distance you are doing. I am now leaning towards full length as you start an hour and a half earlier than the medio so finish time is going to be pretty similar so not actually missing that much time with the family, hopefully.
Will report back.
Thanks for the last minute feedback and info.
Looking forward to it.

1 Like

The climbs there are pretty steep.

That’s why we train with TR :slight_smile:

1 Like

ya think? the course will be challenging, no doubt, but double-digit % gradients will be rare.

I’m from Vancouver, BC so hopefully I am ok with the hills … :thinking:

It’s been years since I’ve been to Van, so don’t really remember the topography but if the ride stats don’t scare you, you should be fine. Also, there will be plenty of bailout points on the route and you’ll likely see other cyclists throughout the ride that you can jump in with if you want. Basically, I wouldn’t worry too much about it cause you’ll have plenty of options.

1 Like