Struggling with some plans

I noticed on some rides such as Tallac-4 and Reinstein towards the end of the training I need to stop and let my legs rest for 5-10 seconds or so, before continuing the ride. My heart rate is around 140-ish and I’m not struggling to breathe, but my legs are burning so much I have a lot of trouble carrying on with the ride unless I take a brief pause.

I’m 45 years old, currently getting back into cycling after a 15 year hiatus due to work and the other life things. I used to race and ride regularly back then but never really “trained” This is my first try at structured training. I’m 76Kg and my FTP is 235 and currently on week two of the Sweet Spot Base, low volume 1.

I assume things will get better as my fitness improves, but is there any reason to or not to stop like I have been to let my legs stop crying? Any other solution I should be looking into?

In an ideal world, you wouldn’t stop. Lets be honest, we all cry a little at some points :wink:

If all you’re doing is giving yourself a 5-10 second backspin in the final interval, I don’t think you’ve got much to worry about. In some of the workout text, Coach Chad recommends that you do this to ensure your form remains good and you complete the interval at or near the power target.

As you move through your training and keep a level of consistency, you’ll notice that whilst it doesn’t exactly get easier, you’re more physically and mentally able to fight the urge to take those breaks.

Can’t say for sure but this should get better relatively quickly. If you have gone from zero to training then your body doesn’t know what’s going on and will have shut down lots of aerobic mechanisms while you were away. Things like lactate shuttling and buffering and blood volume will begin to improve as you keep riding.

I remember that feeling when I picked cycling back up in a mountainous area. You’re climbing up a big hill and your HR and breathing feel relatively under control but your legs just keep burning and swelling (like getting a gnarly pump in the gym) and the only thing that helps is to stop for a second to let it flush out. But it got better after a month or two as my body started to turn those systems on and make the necessary adaptations.

In the mean time a quick back pedal or two won’t negate any of your workout and if that’s what you need to complete the workouts and ease up the burn in your legs then do it. Just make sure you don’t make it a habit even after you get more fit and the burning is more manageable.

1 Like

thanks for all the replies and info. Im going to push through the rest of this plan and then reassess where I am and either do it again, or move om to the next plan.