Strava KOM’s - Etiquette of flagging rides

I don’t think I got a KOM but it was definitely a cup on one of my first group rides circa 12years ago. I had got dropped, chased back on and sat in the back of the pack to recover for at least 1/2 a mile. I got gold but none of the others which had done the work did. I seemed more worried about that than my club mates.

What is frowned upon in the club though is someone sitting on the back all the time and sprinting off the front to get a KOM.

2 Likes

I lost a KoM (short sprint / climb) in North Wales on the day the tour of Britain went through last year.

They were sooooooooo much faster than I could ever be - even if I could be on an E-Bike I reckon - it was actually quite awe inspiring. :smiley:

2 Likes

I flagged one for our running community. Someone was riding their bike on a training run to provide support. Sad part is the person that did it knew they did and just didn’t take time to correct it. Same when I know someone was on an e-bike.

I was just looking at a bunch of local Segments. Many, many, many of them are filled with road cyclists, or cars obviously on the nearby road.

Let alone E-Bikes.

Seems like you either have to be really onto flagging, or completely forget about it lol.

Just Had someone take my KOM, Average speed for the segment was 31.8 miles an hour. When I look at the ride, looks like whomever was driving around with strava on :joy: should I flag it?

2 Likes

Looks legit to me :rofl:

Flag it!

Also, send it to the police as proof of speeding.

(But seriously, I’d flag it :man_shrugging:t3:)

1 Like

I did! I think he was on a motorcycle and not in a car. Either way why would someone track their motorcycle rides on strava :man_shrugging:

Looks to me like he did a ride and then forgot to turn off his computer at the end…so you get the mish-mash of routes.

1 Like

and a good chance he is a Lyft/Uber driver

6 Likes

Aaaaaaand I just lost a KOM. :rofl:

4 Likes

You’ll get it back next time around! :wink:

1 Like

Yeah! Couple thousand watts may get me there! :wink:

https://www.strava.com/segments/9512519

Just got another dethroned notification, apparently Cindy started riding on May 7th and took my KOM on May 11th, and over 556 hours (23 days) she traveled traveled 188 miles.

after Strava takes a minute or two, I get this humorous graph:

:rofl: 2nd uber/lyft driver in the last month that left Strava running while picking up locals and taking them to the airport.

4 Likes

I love chasing KOMs and have created a few weird segments that I’m proud to hold against the 5 other people who have accidentally taken the same course :joy::joy: I’m also proud of a couple longer/sharper ones I snagged along commute routes.

That being said, in the words of my buddy who’s a local KOM hunter, “all of these are going to be taken by some 19yo kid someday.” :rofl: and he’s right.

2 Likes

And taken by an Uber/Lyft driver!

1 Like

I love the segments, but I am nowhere close to KOM level. I use them two ways: 1) To compete against my own previous times; and 2) to see what percentile I fall in (which is usually about 70th %).

I don’t take them too seriously, but I enjoy them.

2 Likes

I get loads of false kom’s around me, I’m close to a popular mtb area and the amount of segments that have people averaging 6mph then cruising at 50mph on the way home does irritate me a little as I want to get a kom but have no chance. I now just compare with the times for the year instead of all time and wish Strava would do away with the all time record and just issue new koms each year as many of the roads here have had changes over the last few years and then we had the world tour come through so have no chance of ever getting close to them or times set in perfect conditions 8years ago. I know it would motivate me to get out and push harder if I had a chance of getting in the top 10 boards more often

I would just flag all those rides on the ones you are interested in.

One has to ask why can’t Strava autoflag these kinds of rides especially when they want people to pay for leaderboards. They even said they were going to do this at one time but never got around to implementing it.

3 Likes

I have done a few were in close to a KOM or too 5 then someone on a mtb has gone through at 40+ mph but given up now as it happens so often. That’s part of the reason I’d like the KOM reset every year it would clear out a lot of the junk for me

3 Likes