Strava KOM’s - Etiquette of flagging rides

You are probably right they might not be kids, I’m just wrongly stereotyping anyone who goes to the BMX park as a kid because its usually full of them.

This ride does look suspicious to me :joy:

4 Likes

It might be Xander Graham :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::man_shrugging:

1 Like

Might be a step too far :joy:

not really :slight_smile:
I take this (too) serious too, if someone took my only KOM in a car or ebike , I would not stop before the ride was removed from the leaderboards.

3 Likes

There should be a “Wheel Sucker” option!

:slight_smile:

Ok, here’s my question. I know one guy who was grabbing KOMs on the flats motopacing. How do I know he was motopacing? Because he told me so. He doesn’t have a HR or PM data either. So it’s already pretty sketch. I want to flag his rides but when I click on the link I get the “The requested activity could not be found” error. But, he still has the KOM on the leaderboard. Why?

I think Strava should automatically put segment times without HR and power data into a different leaderboard. I guess this is my hottake of the day. Thanks for listening! :love_you_gesture:

4 Likes

I’ve thought that too.

Strava could do a lot of things to make the platform more fun and more fair but they seem to have a history of doing absolutely nothing.

At one point they said they were going to auto-flag bogus KOMs but we still find KOMs where the person obviously got in their car after a ride.

3 Likes

Exactly, people without data should hang out together and vice versa. That should improve the leaderboard quality immediately and save everyone time.

1 Like

I used to really take it hard when I lost a KOM. But then I matured. It only matters at the moment you get it but then what on earth does it matter? There’s not a single person who’s KOM will last forever. Even Pogacar’s. There always be someone faster eventually or simply someone who’s “forgotten” to switch Strava off…

2 Likes

Non of what you say makes any sense… do you even ride bikes?

:wink:

2 Likes

Maybe HR but I know a lot of strong riders where buying a PM doesn’t take priority over providing for their family, etc and/or simply don’t at this point have spare cash. I thought there was talk of autoflagging by Strava however, but given some of the obviously dodgy KOMs I’ve seen lately it doesn’t look like its been implemented :neutral_face:

I was recently notified of the loss of KOMs. Here is what I found:

It happens anytime a typhoon hits or a major storm “blows” in :man_shrugging: This typically occurs on the riverside which is endless, but sometimes along the coast as well.

7 Likes

That reminds me of a KOM (well 1 of flat then a general rise over the last 1/2 mile) I got circa 8 years ago when I actually bothered about them :joy:. I titled it something similar (probably used hurricane). It stood for 5 or 6 years with chaingangs getting close to it but not quite beating the wind assisted ride. Then a local champion TTer went out on a still day and took it :muscle: :joy:

1 Like

Too many people upset over wind assisted KOMs. Try living in Manitoba - flat, windy, and 99% of routes are straight. I see no issue with using wind to full advantage … people use gear (better tires/wheels/bikes/etc.) to advantage, why not something free like wind?

I’ll flag a segment if it was clearly wrong (forgot to shut of GPS in car or something), but that’s about it.

6 Likes

I might be on my own here, but I think they should have a separate category at least for group Koms. I know a couple groups of at least four people that go out specifically for Koms. Like I said maybe i’m by myself but I doubt some of those people could get the same time if they were riding solo. It’s a lot easier to pull a group, go back and draft save to some energy and pull again. Maybe I’m just salty because I lost a couple koms to one of those groups. :joy:

2 Likes

How would you determine if it is a group effort? You could have other guys pull for most of the segment and then sit up after they launch someone…or they could just no be on Strava.

2 Likes

That’s true, not everyone has Strava. When you look more into a certain persons ride you’ll see view others if they rode with anyone else. I’m sure you’ve seen it if you have Strava.

Yep, just salty :joy:

Single riders are definitely at a disadvantage compared to groups, but diluting KOMs by adding categories won’t be of much use to anyone and is ripe for abuse. Take the KOM for what it is - fastest time from point A to point B while riding your bike, and leave it at that.

9 Likes

I took the QOM in a rural area, but very few women ride out there so it wasn’t spectacularly fast or anything. I checked the KOM and the fellow has a picture of his bike attached to a truck with a rope and the ride is titled “Ride up with a little boost”. I’m debating whether I should flag this because it’s totally not a real climb but also it doesn’t matter?

2 Likes

Sure…but I have also seen riders (both singles and smaller groups) go up the road from a group to try and nab a KOM while others just keep the same pace. So how will you determine if they helped on that segment vs. just being on the ride?

1 Like