Stopped Drinking Alcohol

I’ve been considering the ‘why’ in a bit more detail, as I want to have a more articulate response when people often ask me: ‘why have you quit?’ or ‘what are you not drinking?’ It also helps me rationalize it in my mind when I have my doubts:

1. Historically, 80-90% of my regrettable actions have occurred when i’ve been drunk.
  2. I don’t like to feel fuzzy anymore, and particularly in the mornings i like to be ‘on it’.
  3. Now that i’ve stopped drinking i’ve found interest in other things to fill some time - reading, watching movies, art, education.
  4. The non-alcoholic beer is actually pretty good, and i don’t taste too much difference.
  5. My skin, hair and body feel better for it.
12 Likes

I think a lot of the bad effects are also from sugar itself. I’m mainly drinking gin+slimline tonic, and it doesn’t seem to affect me much. I still got the results i got (pics in a couple posts), and maintain. I don’t drink that much, but I do have 1-2-3 drinks quite often… maybe 3/7 days of the week. Once in a while beer, and that I feel bloats me a tiny bit. Some days (maybe 2-3 times a month), i drink a lot, like half a bottle of a 1L. I guess I’m so active and use so much energy that it flushes out pretty quick. I’m always fine the day after. It was worse when I was younger, but I wasn’t so active. My metabolism is insanely higher now than in my 30s, so it may connected to that. And maybe also connected to the keto, which makes me choose 0 carb alcohol options (except a beer now and then). They seem to not bloat me and to not give me any hangover.

The worst part for me with alcohol is that it makes me even more hungry than I already am. Not a problem while training at this rate. Either way yea, not easy to just stop.

Whether I feel the effects or not, it’s not beneficial either way, of course. I wonder if I had drank 0, if the results would be even better.

2 Likes

I’ve recently saw these products in a shop:

I bought one (rum-esque) just to try - given the price, I thought it’s either a complete scam, or some genius work.

Quite frankly, I did like it ! Not sure how nor why, but the taste in a drink, is pretty much like … an alcoholic drink, taste-wise.

Last update from me…I was upgraded to cat 1 road today. I’ 55 yo…I don’t believe I could have done it drinking. Best to everyone. I hope this motivates someone to stop drinking.

24 Likes

That’s awesome - congrats!

2 Likes

Lasted almost a week in January but crushed a 6-pack of Coors tonight. My Medlin workout will hurt in a few hours.

1 Like
1 Like

Congratulations, well done stopping drinking!
I hope you can manage to cope with the withdrawal, both mental and physical !

I gave up 4 years ago.
Just made a X on the calendar 7 days ahead ( giving me time to drink all the wine I had in the house :rofl:)

Surprisingly it wasn’t nearly as bad as I expected.
No headaches, nausea, anxiety etc.
Just much better sleep , no bad taste in the mouth, and a nicer bunny all round.

As for cycling performance the improvements were not noticeable. But I am aware that alcohol causes inflammation, so a reduction in that is good

8 Likes

I’ve stumbled upon a blog of one of the strongest ultra-endurance riders, Jefe “El Jefe” Branham. Among lots of good stuff about life and bike racing, he’s sharing his experience of being 1 year sober (it was published last year, so I do hope it’s 2 years by now). Might be inspiring for those who are looking down this road. For those who don’t drink - a good affirmation of not missing out on anything.

3 Likes

I was catching up on this topic and thought of an article I read a long time ago. It was about weaning oneself off of alcohol. If you are a heavy drinker or even a solid moderate drinker, one approach is to just throttle back the quantities and get your body used to less alcohol. If one is a heavy drinker, it may even be dangerous to stop cold turkey.

I thought the article was interesting because it’s sort of the opposite approach of AA which is all or nothing.

Anyway, food for thought if one needs an alternative approach. Googling will bring up many articles and strategies on tapering.

2 Likes