Stopped Drinking Alcohol

I’ve just been looking up the retailers closest to me!

In Canada (Quebec only?) we also get Le Bockale. Their three brews (IPA, weisse and stout) are spot on!

2 Likes

Looks like they ship Canada-wide. Not sure I want to commit to buying 12 of each though!

Haven’t tried but would be very interested in any GOOD N/A IPAs for sure. Specifically hazy/fruity ones.

1 Like

I stopped drinking a little over two years ago and Athletic Brewing NA beers have been a game changer for me. They have a wide variety of offerings (IPA’s, goses, stout, etc.)

I actually became an ambassador for them about a year ago. Feel free to PM me for a discount on your first online order if interested.

3 Likes

man I need to stop drinking. It’s definitely only habit, I even hate it usually, but it’s so hard not to

2 Likes

It’s more than just a habit if it’s so hard to stop. I know, I’ve been there and even though I drink maybe once a week now, I still feels like a struggle at times.

I found it a really good exercise to completely give up alcohol for a period of time. After four months I started feeling really good. I think I lasted about a year and then dropped into a couple of glasses of wine, once a week.

If one needs some motivation, you can think of alcohol as a poison. It’s a very dirty chemical. And it’s not really a naturally occurring food even though it’s fermented out of grapes/grain etc. If you were a hunter/gatherer, you might find a small piece of fermented fruit in the jungle occasionally but you’d never find the quantity of alcohol that you find at the super market. Alcohol is simply bad for us. Alcohol use tracks with various cancers - mouth, esophagus, stomach, colon, rectum.

I honestly think everyone should see a therapist. We all have problems. I’m not suggesting you have a drinking problem, in fact you seem very thoughtful in your habits. You know what does what for you.

Hey, I ride with guys that are faster than me that drink pretty heavily (11 beers a week I consider heavy). They crack open their beers after the group ride and I have my tincture and fizzy water. It’s all good. I have no doubt that they’d be even faster if they gave up beer, but to what end? They enjoy it, they’re in good health, and the 1.5% fitness they’d gain probably isn’t worth it. Still no pro sponsorships rolling in for any of us. I’d be faster if I gave up late night TV, sugar, and weed - but, you know, fuck that. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’ve tried them, and they’re pretty good! I will say though, with these fancy new N/A IPAs, they’re almost too close to what I would normally drink for me to enjoy them.

It feels like drinking a bad version of a real beer that I would enjoy. I almost prefer the old school N/A beers like O’Douls or St. Pauli Girl or the like because they don’t resemble any beer I’d actually drink for the taste, but still have the benefit feeling like I’m drinking a beer.

I almost want NA beer to taste nothing like the beers I enjoy. Does that make sense at all?

1 Like

YES. I get that. Curios to try the some of the n/a cervezas and see if I dig it!

You might try out the Lagunitas hop water.

I like it as a beer-like thing, but lighter and NA.

3 Likes

WHOA! Thank you! Looks like their site has an amazing beer-finder tool, and you can filter by beer-type. I needed this!!!

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly. Cycling is a big part of my life but it’s only a part. Being able to have a beer, or two, or a few gin and tonics, or a spliff, or a combination of the above help me unwind/relax after work or a long ride and are certainly beneficial to my mental health and relaxation. Sure the vices aren’t exactly healthy, and don’t make me a faster cyclist, but I believe stress is more destructive to your well-being physically and mentally than a drink or two a night.

I don’t think anyone would argue that not drinking is unhealthy, I certainly won’t, but at least for now I still enjoy the booze

4 Likes

If it’s available where you are, I like Brewdog Punk AF.

3 Likes

I read this. Great perspective. 4 months no beers and power numbers are up.

1 Like

Looks pretty nice, but only available in the UK?

Heh. To each their own. I just cant stand pilsners in any form and that’s the only type of NA beer I’ve tried in the past. Definitely not something that appeals to me personally.

Interesting take. Perhaps I’ll contact one and say I didn’t realize I needed a therapist but someone on my cycling training forum said everyone should see one so what can ya do for me? :grinning:

3 Likes

They deliver across Europe but not the US from their website - dunno if that helps you or not

1 Like

Sounds great, good luck in your search!

2 Likes