Starting over after Covid

It would all be a bad idea. 14hrs of driving on my own, full on stage racing, then 14hrs return. In peak condition (which I felt I was in), I think I might just have managed it. Maybe.
It was going to be such an adventure. Life looks incredibly dull right now.

2 Likes

I think you were being tongue in cheek but have TR said how Plan Builder and AI FTP cope with sickness events?

I’ve probably answered this myself a few times but my brains is addled.

I’m laying out my new training plan assuming 4 weeks of recovery, would be nice to use plan builder but I guess it might be confused by the sudden lack of capability.

1 Like

I haven’t heard anything regarding Plan Builder coping with sickness, but I got the idea to “test” my FTP with AI FTP from ACC podcast #350 which aired back in February when TR announced AI FTP. (For some reason, my Apple podcast app rolled to that episode during my drive to work yesterday.) During the episode, Amber talked about using AI FTP before returning to the bike this winter after her “body building” break from riding. She was off the bike for months and her FTP dropped 70 pts. Even though I was only off for 2+ weeks, I actually did expect a bigger drop than 4 points. In retrospect, my last AI FTP was several weeks before I got COVID and I put in some good training and riding after that “test.” So, likely my actual FTP right before I got sick was even higher than the last result, in which case, I actually dropped more than 4 points. If I was being cheeky, it was about my watts for kg increasing due to my covid weight loss. :slight_smile:

You raise a good point though. I’ve thought I about doing a complete reset on my training plan and have wondered how to map out several weeks of “recovery” re-entry. I think I’ll be living in the “Achievable” zone for while.

I suppose, no matter what Plan Builder serves up, if we reduce our targets to a level that feels “recovery comfortable”, that Adaptive Training will eventually kick in, recognize that we’re “failing” workouts, and lower the intensity of subsequent workouts. I do wonder though if that adaptation is dependent upon the survey response. For example, will Adaptive Training be more aggressive with its recommended adaptations if the answer as to why that workout was difficult is “Intensity” vs. if it is “Sickness”?

1 Like

Similar for me but not as grand. Spent the last 8 months getting ready for BWR NC. Tested positive 15 days ago. Still positive and still have some mild symptoms. Mostly cough and runny nose. I ate the non-refundable AirBNB and am hoping the insurance on entry works. Flo Factory Team race as well, so really feel like I’m missing out. That said, I think your bigger picture perspective is spot on. I might be able to push through this, but in no way is 130 miles in the mountains in the “come back mildly” box. Still too many unknowns with this stuff. FWIW, I’m 50.

3 Likes

It’s really good reading posts like this. As I’m starting to feel a little better, the thought creeps in “am I being a wuss about this?”
But the fact remains that it’s just a bike race and not worth risking the rest of your life or indeed even the rest of your year to.

3 Likes

I’ll plan a proper bikepacking trip for September. A fantastic consolation prize.
Last year when I had to defer my entry, I set off on a 9 day off road trip from near London to Wales and back. Was quite possibly the most fantastic thing I’ve ever done.

Can you spot my bike? On the Kennet and Avon canal heading west.

4 Likes

This trip was 4 months after having covid for the first time. Took me over a month after getting ill to be happy doing longer rides and 3 months before I felt my lungs had properly recovered.

2 Likes

I have mild cold symptoms. Got sick on the 4th, positive on the 6th. Still feeling a bit down now but slowly improving.

Planning on executing your protocol almost exactly, and frankly gives me an excuse to return to a standard polarized base program. That and I have a lactate meter inbound to sharpshoot my z2 better.

2 Likes

Felt like I could be a normal human being again this morning, tested negative too. Did Birch dual recording on my Garmin watch with HR.

“Performance -8” bleeped at me.

Nice to know the tech knows what’s going on even if I dont :laughing:

Still feeling better this evening, so fingers crossed.

2 Likes

Interesting on the Garmin performance rating. I’m never sure how much credit to give it. Crush a TR workout and Garmin always tells me not productive.

2 Likes

Walked up the stairs in my house last night. Had to have a little lie down at the top. :laughing:
How the mighty have fallen!

1 Like

I am back to training hard again with no issue other than a little lost fitness, but for some reason the stairs still feel really hard and get my heart rate up.

Its about asking for support coming to terms with a hard decision. One of the more subtle refinements of conversation. Hell I even started with “I know the answer here, just need your help processing it”.
Anyway, the last thing I feel like doing right now is having an internet argument with a stranger. Have had loads of support from many people both virtually and in person. Has made a huge difference.
(Thank you everybody)

8 Likes

if you don’t mind me asking, are you vaccinated? I missed this information if already shared.
I am in the same boat and scared sh**less to catch the bloody virus.

Triple vaccinated. Had it twice now.
Still a brute of a bug. Have had the full gamut of aches, chills, sneezing coughing. Like flu and a cold combined.

3 Likes

Heart rate normal when resting & walking. Maybe a little elevated at 0.6-0.7 IF on the bike, but from testing today it sky rockets running at easy pace.

Will see if I can test swimming at the weekend.

Endurance bike seems okay, running maximum at recovery pace for now.

Also got positive on the 6st with mild symptoms. The major one is that I am always sleepy and really really hungry.

A while ago I saw this cycling Ireland link

I will try to do the same protocol. I even think TR would benefit of a short duration protocol/training plan that we could had to the calendar and push our regular plan.

1 Like

Might be a sign of some mild POTS symptoms.

So I did some stats analysis looks like I’m at +10bpm for easy cycling, +20bpm for easy running

As far as I know I’ve never had elevated heart rate after sickness but I’ve never really been tracking it - is this normal for illness or a normal covid thing?

I might notice my Hr was a little higher after being sick but maybe 5-10bpm normally Inwould guess.

This is interesting. I’ve not checked in this thread too much as I found myself getting too wound up, but your post resonates with me as I logged on after noticing that my RHR is still ~2-6bpm higher consistently from pre-Covid. I’m pleased you’re finally rounding the corner to (hopefully :crossed_fingers:) full health.

1 Like