Stages Dash L10/M50/L50 GPS devices launched

Just out of interest, why is it no surprise to you? Look at the screenshot below (posted by Jim From Stages on the DCR first ride page). I assume a lot of TR users would love to be able to perform an outside TR workout like this. Jim also states that they are working to include Trainerroad.

DCR lists a boatload of mount options in his recent post!

1 Like

Why do you perceive this? Everyone is stating the facts.

Took a look through this and Iā€™m still very interested in these. Will still hold out for Rayā€™s in-depth review before buying but Iā€™m more interested in the M50 than the Edge 530 at the moment.

If I hadnā€™t already dumped a lot of money on another computer a while ago I would be all over the L50 and the L10 looks like a bargain.

Zero interest in Strava live segments and I have yet to meet anyone IRL that like or used that feature. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

what does the M50 have that attract you more than the Edge 530? (apart from price)

• Workout support looks to be much better(though waiting on in-depth review to confirm this)
  • Screen looks nicer
  • Ability to change data fields via phone/web without fiddling with the unit itself
  • Simpler - less features that I have no use for or understanding of that take up space and complicate menus
1 Like

same here, and would add the greater flexibility of arranging my own screens (vs Garmin and Wahoo). To better support all the flexibility Iā€™m more interested in L50. After the DCR review is published, and it supports Varia radar, Iā€™ll buy one and test it. If it fails to impress then Iā€™ll return it like I did with Wahoo Bolt. My Edge 520 has and continues to be reliable, not in a hurry to upgrade.

I would jump in if:

-The promise of radar support comes to fruition. I have learned to not buy something that is not fully developed and wait for the features to be built over time.

-Stages link looks less than stellar (free version) -having used Garmin connect for the last 7 years - at least I know the limitations and frustrations. I checked out the free version of link and building a workout seems more finicky - maybe i am wrong?

-Mapping/GPS gets good real world feedback and battery life works as projected. I guess I will have to follow the early adopters online.

• Finally - and this is a big one - mounting it to my bikes. I have a Giant propel SL (2016) and need a stem faceplate mount. Just when I ordered a combo Garmin GoPro from fouriers - I see these stages devices and even before contemplating ordering one - I am getting shudders having to try and find a dash/GoPro solution that will mount to my stem faceplate bolts.

Jim?
Anyone?

1 Like

Looked yesterday and canā€™t find a way to build a workout in Stages Link (free). Iā€™ve had Link for maybe two years, and my trial of premium expired a long time ago.

I did see a way but it was clunky at my first look - a quick look at that but still ā€¦

Iā€™d love to hear from anyone who knows what the Stages-Link ā€œCourse Builderā€ or ā€œRoutes sidebarā€ are about. Iā€™m on a free account, residual from my SDL-1 purchase, and I cannot find these features referenced at these links:

Iā€™m using an L10 now, and apart from the available .fit file export, additional storage capacity, a mount that is compatible with the new mount accessories, and the lower price, Iā€™m seeing nothing changed about the experience of the original SDL-1. All of that is worthwhile, but if I canā€™t do ANYthing with the courses on the L10, Iā€™ll probably consider changing units to one that can.

Answering my own question regarding the course builder, Iā€™ve found some info from Jim at Stages in DCRainmakerā€™s commentsā€¦

"The course builder, and workout builder, are located at the bottom of the library panel located to the right of the calendar, which can be expanded by clicking on the small arrow icon along the right side of the calendar tab. The screenshot I added here is what you will see once that panel has been expanded, which shows your workout library (with the workout builder), the course library (pictured in this post), and the plan library.

I spoke to the guys at TP last night and they noted that right now the course builder is in premium accounts only, but they will push that to the community version of Link soon. Sorry about that!

Itā€™s important that I point out a difference between L10 and M50/L50 units here: Courses on the L10 must sync via USB and Stages Sync (our desktop application). Since the L10 does not have enough memory to have actual maps on it, we do some extra accommodations that allow courses to display on the L10."

While waiting for the course builder to come to the ā€œcommunity versionā€ of the Stages-Link website, Iā€™ll try using a .fit course created elsewhere with the L10 for now and see how it goes.

Same. I donā€™t ride my bike to chase strava segments. Training and racing.

Im really looking forward to a full review ofthe M50, battery life at 12 hours is adequate, and currently 4 times what I get with my garmin with pretty much everything turned off.
Strava is unimportant but importing maps and routes is very important as I do a lot of long distance (150plus) rides that I need the maps forā€¦
Ill wait forthe rainmaker review

I suggest you use a GPS tracker which one with small size and free App, then you can track the position at anytime, Reachfar GPS tracker https://www.eyerideonline.com/ is just 24g and 14x34x40mm, can work for about 3 days.

Got an L10 on Saturday. There is much to like about it. The initial setup was super-easy, all my devices paired perfectly, and battery life is amazing. Stillā€¦ there are issues:

1. When the ride pauses, the ā€œTime of Dayā€ (wall clock) widget also stops. This is maddening. Iā€™ve had two rides where I was meeting someone somewhere. I got there early, the ride paused, and a few minutes later I was suprised at how slow time was moving. Until I realized it wasnā€™t moving at all. When I see software issues like this, it really makes me wonder about how many more subtle problems are out there. (The good news is that my heart rate continues to update when the ride is paused, so I suspect they will fix the frozen wall clock issue eventually).
  2. My unit shows WILD fluctuations in altitude. It will instantly drop 100-200 feet a few times per hour, even when Iā€™m riding on a level surface.
  3. The temperature always reads high. (Possibly related to issue #2 because I see temperature spikes at the same time I see the altitude drop)
  4. The mounting system isā€¦ funky. Iā€™m used to 1/4-turn mounts, and this mount just feels awkward.
    The unit doesnā€™t give a positive ā€œclickā€ in the mounting unit. And the only option provided was the aluminum out-front mount for one handlebar diameter (31.5mm?). I have an other bike with a smaller diameter handlebar and Iā€™m not sure how Iā€™m going to mount it there. My Garmin 520 at least included adapters for the out front mount to handle other handlebar sizes, and an additional ā€œanywhereā€ mount. How much would it really cost to include some rubber grommets and an anywhere mount? Grrrā€¦

I have tickets for the ā€œTime of Day pauses when ride pausesā€ and ā€œaltitude and temperate fluctuate and donā€™t match realityā€ issues, but both tickets are still in ā€œprocessingā€ state.

1 Like

Iā€™ve tried to replace Garmin, as awful as Garmin software can be itā€™s still the best of some of the worst technology in the world.

Hardware aside, Garmin Connect is quite useful for aggregating data to/from multiple sources. Especially now that Strava is pursuing itā€™s lofty goal of being the next facebooks.

2 Likes

Mark am I right in thinking a lot of the uses for the unit are only available if you subscribe to Stages ??

In principle no. You can always put workouts and courses on the device by connecting it to a computer as a USB mass storage device. So all features should work without any subscription (free or paid) to Stages.

Automatic sync of (planned) workouts, and the ability to create custom workouts via their platform is however dependent on a premium subscription as for now. As is automatic course sync, but they promised that should become available on their free platform.

The core issue for me is finding a workout editor that can create .FIT files, because that is currently the only workout format that is supported. Have found one though, quite obscure but I am going to test it if it works. Itā€™s the workout editor in IpBike, an android bike computer app (excellent app by the way)

I will get my M50 soon, will report back with my experience.