Spin ups and isolated leg training?

I don’t understand how cadence spin ups are done. Can someone please explain the process?
Regarding isolated leg training; can they be done with flat pedals or is being clipped in required?

Explanations are sincerely appreciated.

Have you seen the TR support article that includes those and many other drills? It’s a good start if you haven’t read them:

WRT Iso Leg Training: You can kind of do them on flats, but it won’t be the same as with clipless pedals. If you are on flats, it’s more about just trying to get that leg “light” and around with some smooth momentum. These may be harder to impossible in true sense with flats, so you can consider substituting with the Single Leg Focus drill if that’s the case.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions regarding using the flat pedals. It does confirm kind of what I thought would be the case. I do try to keep the ascending leg light and smooth with regular pedaling but really wonder how that will work as a one legged drill on flats. Will give it a try.
I haven’t found any information on how cadence spin ups are done. The workout profile looks like the power output goes down but the implication is that the cadence goes up. It seems this would make the power go up as well. I must be missing something.

What workout are you looking at for the spin ups? I need to check it out to comment.

Jordan is the name of the workout.

OK, after reviewing the workout, here is what is required. As you note, the power target does drop, so depending on trainer mode and setup you have to do one of the following:

1. If in ERG, you increase your cadence at each directed change in the instructions, and simple spin faster. The trainer will adjust to meet your actual cadence and the power target.

2. If in Resistance, Standard or on a traditional non-smart controlled trainer, you must shift to an easier gear in order to increase your cadence in accordance with the instructions. This may require more shifting since the higher cadence also happens along with a reduced power target. So it may take 2 or more shifts to hit the power and cadence goals.

Keep in mind power is the main goal, with cadence as a secondary one, so if you can’t hit both, aim for power and let cadence deviate as needed.

These are essentially just a simple drill to work on getting to faster and more fluid cadence, so use either method above if the cadence goal is something you think you want to add. None of these drills are required, and they can even be altered if you know you have different needs or preferences.

Thank you so much for this!! As I have a dumb trainer I will need to follow your second method. Thank you for the explanation as to how to follow that method. I sincerely appreciate your help.

1 Like

For sure, I’m always happy to help :smiley:

1 Like