Specialty Phase for The Rift 2023

Hello! I’m currently training for The Rift 2023…just curious as to what Specialty Phase folks are using and/or have used to prep for this event? Apparently the majority of climbing is within the first 50-60 miles…trying to decide if Rolling Road Race or Climbing Road Race would best suit this event?

TIA and Cheers!

Glenn

1 Like

I’ve gone for rolling but either is fine really - over that duration it just won’t make that much of a difference. I don’t see any 20min+ climbs, so if you’re planning to be at the pointy end then Rolling is probably more representative of the duration of efforts that will become selection points. Otherwise it’s all going to be about spending as much time as possible riding high z2 and keeping a mid-sweet spot ceiling on your power during climbs.

1 Like

Almost all of the climbing comes in the first 80K and, outside of 3 or 4 climbs where everyone has to get off and push, it is pretty subtle. A few short, steep kickers but it mostly just rolling / false flats. After the 80k mark, it is pretty flat and nothing sustained.

Personally, i think I would focus more on Sweet Spot and Tempo workouts as that is where you will spend the majority of your time.

2 Likes

In all reality the specialty phase doesn’t matter. It’s just an aerobic base thing. I don’t know your ability but you’re gonna be riding somewhere between 7 and 14 hours. So for mortal humans that’s just a lot of Z2. So you want Z2 to be as high as possible and you want a strong body that’s not going to break down. There are a few really rough sections that can put a beating on you.

1 Like

Thanks, Alex! I’ll be at the “mullet” end of the ride, so high Z2 it is!

1 Like

Thanks for the intel @Power13…good to know, especially for the mental preparation!

1 Like

Thanks @slipdog…I am very mortal, and will be riding at a “party pace”…will be riding for the experience vs. ranking!

Just heads up as long as you are preparing for things mentally…there are some really tough washboard sections on the second half of the course. They can grind you almost to a complete stop at times!!!

But it is an awesome event and you’ll have a great time,I loved every minute of Iceland!!

2 Likes

Thanks @Power13…I’m hoping the future shock stem on my Diverge helps a wee bit with that! I’ve encountered washboard at Unbound and, more recently, at Mid-South…never a good time, but a price I’m willing to pay to experience Iceland!

1 Like