Specialized Footbeds Question

Yeah they are totally collapsed.

This!! I have freaking Daffy Duck feet…if I get out of the pool onto a dry pool deck, my footprint is dead flat. Zero arch…

It took me a long to realize that I therefore needed a flat footbed, too. Any kind of arch support is nothing but uncomfortable.

2 Likes

I recently bought a new pair of Sidi Shoes. They have a built in arch in the foot bed which I found very uncomfortable. Tried Specialized foot bed with no relief. At a Specialized shop, they checked my arch while sitting and recommended the middle footbed. I have somewhat loose ligaments, (able to touch my toes to my nose at age 66), and my arch collapses quite a bit under pressure or standing. I’m looking for a different pair of shoes without a built in arch.

I’m having a hard time getting my feet comfortable in my shoes and think footbeds are the answer, but can’t find the right ones. I have tried superfeet and sole footbeds. I have settled on the sole thin for my right foot and it seems pretty well set. But my left foot remains a problem.

I have sunk $$$ into this with a bunch of footbeds that are useless and apparently need two different ones for each foot. What’s the best approach here to get this resolved?

Short answer is find a local fitter, and get their help in person.

Self-service is to use some of the foot beds you already own, find some plastic or thin cardboard that you can cut into shims. Play with shape, stacking and location of those shims in an effort to get support where you want it, and clearance where you need it.

I know that some people struggle with the placement of support as much as the thickness. The right shim in the wrong place is a problem. Takes some trial and error on the trainer to start, and then head outside.

Does that help?

FWIW… the specialized reds were OK for me, but the blue and green pushed up too much in the wrong spot. I get on well with the Giro insoles in Sidi shoes. Northwave has a nice footbed support system both in the shoe and come with different insoles to fine tune. Very much like their system.

You might have an insole problem if:

IMG_6637

1 Like

Have a look at G8 insoles. They come with interchangeable arch pieces in 5 heights which critically can be installed in different positions (fore/aft and inboard/outboard) but also allows differentiation between each foot - it’s quite possible that both feet require a different level of support

1 Like