Speciality plan for Indoor Velodrome Track League?

I have 8 weeks to train for the start of an indoor velodrome track league at Derby Arena and I’d like to know which specialty plan to follow.

The race series is 10 weeks with 4 x 15-20 minute (approx) races every Tuesday night at 7pm.

Races are generally a mixture of threshold and anaerobic efforts. I’m stepping up to the top group for next year.

I’ve just completed SS base Mid and Short power build mid volume.

Last year I did SS base Mid, Short Power Mid, then Crit Specialty plan but I’m wondering if this plan has race efforts that are longer than my target races. Would sort track MTB work better or a bespoke plan?

A following question would be how to maintain fitness during the series of 10 weeks - I do a steady long ride the day after then have 3 more training opportunities before Tuesday comes round again. How can I keep fitness and freshness over the series?

1 Like

Hi there

I have the same question. did you ever get a response to this?

For track events, we recommend the following training progression:

Short Duration

For prologues, short hill climbs, and track events that are ten minutes or less in duration, your training focus will be wholly set on improving your power at VO2 Max.

Base: Sweet Spot Base I&II
Build: Short Power Build
Specialty: Gravity

Medium Duration

For time trials that are between 10-20 minutes, your focus will be split between sustainable power and raising your power at VO2 Max.

Base: Sweet Spot Base I&II
Build: Sustained Power Build
Specialty: Climbing Road Race

I hope this helps!

As for maintaining your fitness over a 10 week series, we have one main recommendation.

You can extend your fitness effectively for 8 weeks maximum by repeating Weeks 7 and 8 of the Specialty Phase. These are your taper weeks, and they are designed to be low stress, but high activation, and they will help you stay consistent in your events throughout the series.

Since you have a 10 week series, you will want to aim to finish your first time through the Specialty Phase on the second or third race :+1: