Someone tell me why am I doing this workout?

As a coach, I typically prescribe identical or similar workouts week to week and make minor adjustments where necessary. My athletes typically will see the same efforts for around a month, before progressing to the next energy system. I typically use the same workout structure week after week until the end of the block, the ways I typically will make a workout harder as time goes on is to cut down on recovery or increase total time in zone. (assuming athlete feedback suggests a harder workout is appropriate).

For example if I was working on a vo2 max build with a rider, I might start with 6x4 min at 110-120% 4min RBI, my rider crushed the workout, then I might try 7x4min, or 6x4.5min, I might swap the recoverys for a 3 min instead, I also might raise the target by 3-5% of LT it would depend on the riders training past, specifics of their target races, and also their current fitness level.

If the structure were consistently changing it would suggest a sub par program, a constantly changing structure makes it much harder to properly overload an energy system.

I don’t know enough about you, your goals, or your training history to tell you what you should be doing, but from what I’ve seen looking through the tread, trainer road is doing a fairly decent job.

Thank you for that response, that does shed light on the repetitiveness. Like I mentioned I’ve been doing various plans in TR for 10 years and never seen this before.

He did! :wink:

I’m kidding. I ran this by the team and Adaptive Training didn’t realise that Daniel- 3 was already on your Calendar after using AI FTP detection. We were able to sort this for you though which is why you saw pending adaptations, as you described.

I also asked Coach Jonathan about the structure of the new Training Plans.

Our current Training Plans are an improvement on the older Training Plans. Gaps in our workout library, meant our old plans would have you doing different Workout Profiles as you would move through a progression. Based on science (focusing on energy systems) and data (increasing success rate), we made changes that allow you to progress at a sustainable rate through a zone while giving you variety throughout the week.

The current Training Plans are optimal for making you faster. However, if you want more variety, you can use Workout Alternates, as @bobmcstuff suggested! You can learn more here: How to use Workout Alternates.

Let me know if you have any questions for me!

1 Like

I sometimes like repetition, to measure my self against, looking at my plan other than the rest week endurance work there doesn’t seem to be much repetition in my plan except I maybe do different +/- levels off the same work out.

2 Likes

I’ve got the same 3 hr Z2 workout in my plan pretty much every loading week for next year’s plan. That way I can keep tabs on Power/HR and decoupling knowing I’m making like for like comparisons.

1 Like

Thanks for looking into it. One thing that suprises me is that there is zero tempo work in the plan? Seems it should be a zone that deserves some work.

Tempo isn’t an energy system.

No…but it is a power zone.

Sure thing!

It looks like you are on the XCO Olympic Plan. Due to the relatively short duration, you will experience attacks, breakaways, and a wide variety of efforts. This Plan is best if you are utilising a punchy, aggressive race strategy, rather than steady Tempo efforts. This style of racing requires strong VO2 and Anaerobic capabilities, as well as a high level of repeatability, which is the focus of this Training Plan.

Makes sense…Im a masters athlete…55 years old…I guess we race a little differently…maybe the marathon plan would serve me better? Too late to change now…our first race is Jan 15. I did Taylor +2 yesterday, 60+ 30 second V02 max intervals…got through it but man it was hard and I’m hurting this morning.