Should the TR Crit Plan schedule outdoor bumping drills?

So, it sounds like one of our local crit series suffered two serious crashes last night in Cat 3 and 4.

The last race I did at the same venue ended in a crash, a guy hit my thigh with his bars and face planted the circuit.

One thing that’s apparent is that U.K. roadie culture places seemingly zero value on bumping drills.

Yet, they actually get their own workout in Joe Friel’s classic Cyclists Training Bible.

I was lucky I guess as my cousins and I spent years as kids trying to buckle each other’s back wheels by wheel burning, ramming and leaning on each other round the farm. We used to pretend we were in a dog fight and chase each other round until someone was forced into the dirt :rofl:

Given that TR offers riders the chance to get VERY strong power wise- with zero outdoor rides, do you think TR should include bumping drills in the specialty phase out of a sense of responsibility, and if they did- would it encourage you to do them?

I broke both my legs last year at work so not keen on returning to racing anyhow but even so- the general lack of interest most clubs and riders display about improving their handling skills means I’m not sure I’ll ever bother again.

I’d love to hear all your thoughts, anecdotes and experiences.

Meh, I don’t think TR’s is obligated. You could say the same thing about technical MTB racing skills, swimming or running for tris and any other cycling sport TR covers.

Nearly every discipline that TR offers for training, also has a technical element that must be mastered by the athlete, via outside riding and practice. Maybe they could suggest it, but if you push this to the broad range they cover, it is MASSIVE in scope.

I think this falls squarely on each athlete to determine what and how much they need.

1 Like

It’s not quite the same when you do it indoors on the trainer…

2 Likes

While I think bumping drills are a good idea they are outside the scope of what TR is designed for. Bike handling and more importantly learning how to ride smart and aggressive yet safely come with experience. The more the better. No amount of youtube can do it justice.

All that said, if you do them start on grass. I think they are super fun!

3 Likes