Short attention span due to weather

So how many of you here have dropped the trainer training a little too hard due to the wonderful weather that’s happening outside!?

I told myself i’d get at least 1 or 2 trainer rides per week (along my triathlon training) but for some reason, i just can’t bring myself to get back on the trainer, i just want to be outside. Usually it’s my 24km (one way) commute in z2 HR a few times a week, but then rider friends also ask to go riding on the weekends… So yes while i end up putting in some mileage it’s not the most efficient

I’ve kept up with my swimming and a bit with my running but i just can’t keep the bike in line. Have many of you experienced it and how do you manage to get back inside once you skin has tasted the sun?

The struggle is real. This is my 3rd year with TR and every year, my compliance goes to crap when the weather turns nice.

My compliance is higher so far this summer, but that’s because I’m living out of a hotel in a place that routinely hits 105F heat index and has crappy roads. I’ll train indoors all day over that!

1 Like

I’ve gone from 4 trainer rides a week to 1 at most. Loving the weather! I had my first ride with a TR workout pushed to my garmin this past weekend and it was great. I’m fortunate in that I have some great routes with very little coasting. No hills though. can’t have it all.

1 Like

I think I MIGHT be up, or at least even. I’m mostly a mountain biker, and our trails are closed when wet around here… And it’s been really wet. Between that and training for the Maah Daah Hey 100 (my third attempt), I’m really pushing to get the training done. I don’t always finish the ride, and sometimes I swap one ride for another (two young kids means sometimes I just run out of time to get a 1.5-hour ride in and have to settle for 1), but I’ve also been getting up early and doing a short easy ride (usually Dans) in the morning to prep for getting up early on raceday.

1 Like

oh dear, don’t get me started with the kids. Between the trailer rides (great training for hills, pulling 60lbs of kids) and the rides with my older one at basically 10km/h (great training for fast spinning on the lowest gear) on the weekend, i think i’ve run out of ideas to make those rides more …hmmm … useful.

Just gotta appreciate the moments with the kids lol

1 Like

I’ve felt pretty selfish this year… My kids like to go out on the trails with me, but we’ve had so few days where the stars of weather and my schedule have aligned that I’ve mostly gone out by myself… they’ve only been out once or twice. But… I’m a better dad if I get some time in the woods (without them). No easy answers…

2 Likes

I overheat a lot and need it to be winter weather for the trainer. I also live in an area with a bunch of empty roads.

1 Like

I started to read this thread many times, but keep losing attention. :triumph:

Here in the Midwest we are talking of building an arc. Forget trail time. And since my weekday rides are before dawn, trainer it is. Though I am trying for 1 group ride per week.

1 Like

The beauty of low volume. I get to do both :smile:

1 Like

With tri low volume im still training 6 days a week :frowning:

If it was just the bike, i’d be alright

1 Like