Shimano groupset changes [New CUES Group]

I have read a couple of cryptic rumors on the old internet about Shimano changes coming, possibly in March. Both sort of referenced possible changes in groupset tiers, or naming or something…

Anyone heard these rumors and have more specifics? Any wild guesses as to what this might be?

GRX (Di2 at least) is to be refreshed in 2023. There’s a thread on here about it.

1 Like

Yes, heard that one. This rumor seems to be something bigger or more encompassing across their range. That is why it has intrigued me.

Probably all the mechanical stuff below 105 Di2, plus the splash about GRX 12 speed.

Wonder if they’ll do a DA level GRX, reap those margins.

Yeah, that is my understanding as well. Given how conservative the company is, I would adjust my expectations accordingly and not expect a complete revamp of their line-up.

I would expect that Tiagra gains its 11th cog or 11-speed 105 mechanical is pushed downmarket (or that 105 gets a cosmetic redesign and is rebadged). I would not expect to get mechanical 12-speed groupsets, though, that’d surprise me.

Even if I am wrong, then the revamp would still be straightforward: Ultegra mechanical gets cranks, cassette, etc. from Ultegra Di2. But I wouldn’t expect anything “revolutionary.”

1 Like

(Shimano 105 12-speed mechanical leaked - BikeRadar)

3 Likes

It is great to know that they go 12 speeds on their mechanical groupsets as well.

Certainly seen the rumors of 105 12 mechanical and GRX 12. The rumors I have seen in just a couple of places seem to suggest something more revolutionary rather than evolutionary, but maybe I am just reading into it. Maybe that is all that it is.

What would be awesome is if they move GRX 12 to a true off-road group, and make mechanical GRX shifters that were compatible with their mtb rear derailleurs which would open up all kinds of drivetrain possibilities. Would be good if they have Di2 versions as well and release 12 speed electronic mtb groups.

1 Like

It would be truly eye-opening if they introduced cassettes that weren’t revolutionary.

That seems to be the plan, and I think this is what Shimano will most likely release: they already sell these chainring options (on 11-speed groupsets) and last time they did not release any new GRX-specific cassettes, but just took what they already had on the road side (2x) or 11-speed mountain bike side (1x).

I thought that’s what GRX Di2 was?

1 Like

Nah, more equal to Ultegra.

1 Like

I reckon Shimano doesn’t think it is worth it. SRAM can use its groupsets on all bikes whereas Shimano has bifurcated its product line.

IMHO it’d be nicer marketing-wise if they simply erased the distinction and simply made e. g. a GRX version of, say, their Ultegra Di2 rear derailleur that only differs from the regular one by having a clutch. Ditto for shift/brake levers. I have heard from quite a few roadies that they prefer the shape and additional leverage of GRX rear derailleurs. By having them completely interoperable, someone with an aero road bike and 0 gravel ambitions could opt for Ultegra GRX shift/brake levers simply because they prefer it, while having matching optics.

1 Like

Makes sense to bring out a “non-series” RD’s with clutch (much like the Ultegra RX800 RD) - call them GRX, and job’s done.

Thing is, the following are very distinct from the road groups:

1. The +2.5mm chainline
  2. The +2.5mm front mech
  3. The +2.5mm sub-compact cranks

I suppose they could split the difference between road (44.5) and gravel (47) at arrive at something like 46mm.

Unless the change being hinted at by OP are along those lines, I can’t see a “merger” in this generation of gruppo’s.

1 Like

Good point. SRAM has a Wide and a regular front derailleur, too. But it is still e. g. Force, and I think you can use a “gravel crank” with a standard (non-WIDE) rear derailleur, too. So I reckon Shimano could have followed suit.

Perhaps Shimano could have even designed a bracket or so to accommodate the differences (in height and chain line).

Isn’t that a design choice, though? Either Shimano could have split the difference or used e. g. a spacer or a setting for the front mech. (Although that doesn’t seem likely given Shimano’s history to e. g. make chain rings specific to a product line, my XTR M9000 cranks won’t accept XT chainrings, for example.)

1 Like

Right.

It’s going to be a very interesting several months on the groupset front methinks…

I really hope you are right and I am wrong, and that Shimano revamps its dropbar groupset line-up in its entirety. Nothing is better than competition …

This could be one part of a larger change in their groups, even though this is the entry to mid-level stuff:

1 Like

Wow…massive changes to the Shimano ecosystem. Gonna have to dig into the details…

RIP, Alivio, Acera and Altus…I spec’d the crap outta that stuff in the past.