Riding in a group of two, most efficient length of turns?

If you have two riders going as fast as they can for an hour, taking turn about on the front, what’s the most efficient length of time each turn?

Pretty flat route.

(Sure it depends, but ballpark, or just whatever your experience is)

Wouldn’t it depend on the FTP differences? If one rider is substantially stronger, then they will need to take more time off the front if you want to hold the same speed.

1 Like

Depends on if we’re talking your pull or the other guy’s :wink:

4 Likes

IME its about a min rotation if similarly matched. 1 min ~110-20% FTP, 1 min 90% FTP, repeat for about an hour

1 Like

Good point! I think we’re fairly even on the flat, he’s more watts but I’m a bit smaller.

Cheers, we’ll give this a bash

Ha! Out of interest, do you climb? (as in rock climbing)

@mcneese.chad we won’t be training :laughing:

1 Like

If it’s flat, in theory he should pull a bit more and/or you set it up where you pull more any climb. I’d agree with @redlude97on the 1’ and say probably anywhere from 1’-3’ depending on your riding styles and what not

2 Likes

Feel free to change to “Racing” category if that is more appropriate. You didn’t mention that specifically, so I picked “Training”, which is better than “Uncategorized” since this likely has a home in one of our main categories.

1 Like

Yea there is a bit of range that depends on match FTPs and size/drafting and how fast you can rotate the paceline. IE some people will be able to recover a lot better at a lower percentage of FTP because they are a lot smaller or more aero than the person in the wind etc. Its more of an art/feel game especially if its with a rider you aren’t familiar practicing this with

1 Like

We’ll not be racing either! Just riding for fun :slight_smile:

ps training is the best place for the thread, was just being silly

1 Like

He’s only a few more watts, we’re fairly even on the flat speed-wise. Probs I’m a bit quicker tbh

Devils advocate… The more often the rotation, the more time you both spend in the wind…side by side. 5 seconds every rotation x 60 rotations = 5 minutes where you’re both pushing against the wind. 5 seconds every 3 minutes, and that time goes down to 1:40. Not sure if that would balance out the longer time spent at the front and maybe faltering power in the later half of each pull because of that?

2 Likes

Yea that is where the art comes in. I don’t know the ideal time to maximize speed that is just what I’ve settled on in my groups, and the time at the front can vary. With some riders its like a 5 min pulls to my 1 min pull

1 Like

I don’t know if this helps but 3 of us did a century yesterday which included a 25/30 minute pull into a 17mph block headwind before turning and having a slight cross/tail. The Green shows basically when I was on the front. As I’m much bigger than the other 2 climbing whippets it worked out (obviously) that I spent more time on the front into the wind but when we turned ( after the break to take our rain jackets off) it equalled out dramatically. It wasn’t planned it just turned out that way.

1 Like

I suppose that’s where the balancing is. I guess the additional time in the wind is for the guy pulling off though and they’re going to be easing up - assuming the guy coming through maintains his speed smoothly.

Interesting, thanks.

Re it not being planned, maybe it’s a bit like cadence and most people tend towards something close to what’s efficient for them.

Yes and it could be the guy in 2nd place just senses when the front man justs starts to weaken then comes through. Its funny though that into the headwind you want it to end faster so you keep pushing to get it over with as soon as possible whereas with the wind slightly behind you it’s good fun so you ease off a bit as if you want it to last for longer!

1 Like

Aye, also more efficient to push a bit harder into the wind and a bit less with it.

1 Like