Red Meat Safer to Eat Than We Thought

Ugh I can’t win. I tried the high healthy fat diet and my cholesterol went through the roof, so now I eat everything but do eat a heck of a lot of greens including spinach for breakfast and lunch. Now I’ll have to listen to this when I get a chance.

I thought we weren’t supposed to eat it because tending to all the cows is killing the planet.

I’m not sure about this “everything in moderation”. Could be a cultural thing as well. Puritan/calvinistic mindset?

Humans evolved in the extremes. Nothing to eat for a long time. Then lucky, hunted down a mammoth. Feasting for days, orgies around the fire. Wasn’t this described in the book “The Hungry Brain”?

Perhaps these extremes trump moderation?

Just wonder how we would implement such a “natural” lifestyle these days?

Not if you eat the meat that’s been grown in a lab. :microscope::cut_of_meat:

As far as eating too much spinach and other high-oxalate greens…ignore the hype. Heed caution only if you already have a compromised digestive tract, but even then, you’re probably ok.

Oh, FYI…sweet potatoes contain waaay more oxalate than spinach or Swiss chard. Don’t tell Nate! :scream::laughing:

Definitely. Breakfast cereals were straight up invented to dull the libido. Today, you have the seventh day adventists doing an awful lot to discourage meat.

Maybe I didn’t get the memo cuz I still get excited just thinking about a magnificent bowl of Mini Wheats! :drooling_face:

3 Likes

Too late at night to write a full rebuttal, but there are definitely issues with this study. It found its results primarily by how they chose their data sources and excluded a good bit of data and/or reduced the value of certain types of studies.

This is an outlier paper in a sea of a papers suggesting that too much red meat and meat in general isn’t great for us.

1 Like

Only a couple more years to wait until meat is great for us!

My issue is that it’s not very safe for the animal.

1 Like

Yeh, it tends not to work out too well for them…

The end is probably the best part, their life up to the end is crueler than the death itself.

Of course they didn’t start making them palatable with sugar until like 40 years ago. Cereals (and the original Graham crackers was another one of these inventions) used to taste approximately like cardboard. Highly entertaining presentation on the topic: The Evil Business of Breakfast Cereal - YouTube Highly recommended if you have a sense of humor.

Life isn’t very safe for any animal, including humans. Just look at what we do to each other, not sure why we would treat cows any better. :man_shrugging:

Except Hindus. They totally cowtow to cows. :grin:

The amount of energy and water used and the amount of CO2 emissions per gram of protein is indeed not favorable when compared to alternative protein sources. But that’s not the debate here.