Recovery Boots - thoughts? Opinions? Personal anecdotes? Let's hear em!

What’s up TR family!

I’ve been hitting it hard lately and have been eyeballing some good recovery boots to complement my almost daily epsom salt soaks for my legs. I am currently riding 6 days/week with about 690-710 weekly TSS with a current FTP of 325w.

Has anyone used them with good results? I’ve heard mention of them on a couple podcasts so I’m interested to hear what the community has to say about them and how effective they really are at helping soothe tired and sore legs.

I feel substantially better when I can get a good epsom salt bath soak after a hard ride and I’m hoping these boots might complement those recovery efforts.

Any thoughts, opinions, and personal anecdotes are appreciated!

Here is an existing thread more “equipment” focused but has some worthwhile info:

1 Like

Good read, ty! I’m not sure why that thread didn’t come up when I searched initially.

1 Like

The search function on this forum is a little wonky.

I think the science on recovery boots is probably mixed at best. With that said, if they make you feel better and you feel like you get more out of your recovery because of them, then they’re probably worth it.

1 Like

I added the “Recovery Boots” to the title of that thread. It was missing previously and may have been why you didn’t find it.

I and other moderators try to watch for things like that and edit titles and OP’s as needed to help return good search results. That and edits to categories and tags can help find stuff a bit better.

But sometimes, you do have lack of results even when you know there is something out there. We had a spat of it last week, but it seems to be more like normal today.

1 Like

I have them, they feel really good, and I use them during bigger training blocks.

The science is inconclusive, but I usually end up taking a short nap/meditating when I use them, so at the very least, I’m getting a benefit there of relaxing a bit.

1 Like

Good to know Chad, ty!

Seems the general consensus is no scientific evidence of their (boots) benefit but if it makes you feel better, it’s probably helping some aspect of recovery whether psychological or physiological. I have to ASSume it can’t hurt so I might give them a shot

1 Like

They’ve been mentioned a few times on the podcast and I’m pretty sure the consensus was it was hard to see if there was more benefit derived Vs just laying down to do nothing for the same period of time.

I know the evidence isn’t exactly there from the science stand point but the placebo effect can be a real thing.

I have a pair of Air Relax (cheaper than Norma, Rapid Reboot, etc). Love em. I also have a bad right ankle that will swell with longer runs and I hop into the boot after a long run as well to help with swelling. I would say they are effective for that for sure.

Overall, I think they are worth it. Its a good compliment to other recovery methods.

1 Like

I have a set from air relax and I don’t feel like it’s a game changer for most days. Most of a time a nice foam roller session will suffice. I’m on the low volume plan though. Sometimes after sitting or standing for a long time, it is really nice to slap on the boots and essentially give yourself a massage. I also got to try Normatecs and I feel like they have a better compression system. It can progressively compress at a higher resolution with more chambers? whereas the air relax has 4 chambers. I don’t feel like I got any placebo effect and in fact my RPE is higher after being treated with the air relax sometimes. Maybe I need to tone down the pressure. Something I’ll be experimenting with the next couple of months.

I have the same ones and I would agree with the above.

I used a team mates Air Relax for 6 days of intense racing and thought they worked well enough that I’ve been looking for a set since I returned.

I’m not saying they didn’t feel good, force your to lay down and relax as well as provide a very good placebo effect; I just question that they actually improve recovery. I recommend reading this:

2 Likes

I tried a pair of the Air Relax “shorts” after my Gran Fondo a couple weeks ago and really liked it–these ones go from just above the knee to the lower back so working the lower back and glutes was really nice for me (since I also raced a 10k the day before). I wasn’t as sore the next day as I expected to be, but hard to say if that was from the Air Relax session of course. They’re cheap enough in USD that I’d be willing to grab a pair, but in CDN it’s a little much :cry:.