Randomizes Double blind Trials, oh my!

Hey TR crew.

I know I’m far from the only one reaching for motivation during this less than ideal 2020. Just before my ramp test today, I was thinking how it might impact my training if my result went up or down by a couple of percent. Would a lower result be demotivating? Would it improve my adherence in the next phase? Would a higher result set me up for over-reach and failure? You know, the usual type A overthink.

Then I thought, “Wouldn’t it be dope if Nate and Amber and Pete and Chad and John and the crew used science to answer this question?”

You bet it would!

So here’s my idea: conduct a double-blind study of how the results of a ramp test impact results of future training. How? Software! After the ramp test, simply adjust each athlete’s power data for the next 6 weeks by a random factor between 0.98 and 1.02 (or something). After their next ramp test, athletes can get unblinded and revert their data to normal.

What could we learn?

Everyone loves to argue about whether 75% of your max 1 minute power = FTP, but the point is whether it’s a good way to set training zones inside TR, right?

Participating in a study like this would be a huge motivator for me to adhere to a 6-week block right now. How about you?