Pro riders have other jobs?

I was told that pro riders have full time jobs and this left me in a complete shock to be honest! Out of curiosity, I would like to know what are those jobs the pro riders have and how do they balance pro training(>16h/week?) with their job schedule? I thought pro riders are paid to just ride their bikes which involves doing the workouts prescribed by their coach + having the luxury of completely putting their feet up on recovery days.

1 Like

The Pros you see on tv don’t have full time jobs, but there is probably allot of “semi pros” that has full time job in periods or even year round with some modification.

For my self i have a office job and work >37,5h week.
Its no problem to nail 20 hour weeks over and over, but that is my life then, work+cycling+trying to rest.
And thats basicly my life atm even before corona, work+max cycling (pushing 45000 TSS/year).

6 Likes

interesting… I wonder if employers are so flexible by allowing semi pros to race during the season and then return to work during the off season

1 Like

I personally know 1, that has it exactly like that also know off others that has work and a semi pro team (don’t know how theire work schedule is though)

1 Like

Professional riders at pro continental level and above (world tour) are entitled to a minimum salary… I think it’s like 26000 €/year for a pro continental neo-pro and more for the higher tiers. However, this applies to male riders. Female riders on the other hand…

4 Likes

Neither a pro (just keen) nor really working (full time student) and putting in 20+ hrs a week works fine. Just think about it that way: 20hrs week = 2hrs a day Mon-Fr and 2 long ones @ weekend.

2 Likes

Not a pro, just a dedicated amateur – hoping to get to domestic elite/semi-pro one day.

I choose work that allows me either enough time to train first thing in the morning or in the evening before it gets too dark. I also prefer to have my weekends free for racing/travel/longer rides. Jobs that have allowed me to do that have been, for example: bike shop work, grounds crew work, fast food work, etc. Bike shops might be a little more forgiving with your schedule if you’re racing a lot.

Monday-Friday I can comfortably fit in 1-2 hour rides no problem. Maybe even 3hrs if I schedule ahead a bit and plan for it. Sat/Sun are for long rides and racing in the summer.

My girlfriend is on a semi-pro team in the US, and she works full-time as a research assistant at a college. Pretty much the same training schedule as me – 1-2 hours on weekdays, longer stuff/racing on weekends. I’d imagine that’s how most high-level racers do it.

The only guys getting paid to ride their bikes are Pro-Conti and World Tour riders. Even 3rd tier Conti guys don’t get paid and often have to find some kind of work to afford their rent.

2 Likes

Read Tyler Hamilton’s book. This goes for professional triathletes. Most of these folks don’t make good money doing this

1 Like

If you really want to be depressed, a lot the women pro cyclists have to have a job, because the pay is so low, except for some of the top riders. Check out Molly Weaver’s articles on Cylingtips. Not that most of the men are getting rich either…

5 Likes

Yeah I was gonna bring up Abby Mickey from Cycling Tips… she was a Women’s WT pro and made $8K/yr…and had to fight for it. I can’t see how you can not have a full-time “normal” job just to make a living when your salary is that low. It’s sad, really.

4 Likes

Thanks! I usually don’t watch pro cycling races except tour de france or giro so this is some new info to me.

2 Likes

A lot of the pros you see on Instagram say they have “full time” jobs. I’m sure they do but, they’re not waking at 5am to get ready for work at 7am have a 1/2hr lunch and getting off at 4:30am Mon-Fri. They are doing photo shoots and other advertisements/social media posting for their sponsors.

Correct me if I’m wrong.

1 Like