Pro/Elite training

The problem I have is that I can’t really progress my weekly long ride in a linear fashion. One week I might be able to get a 4 hour ride in and the next week it might only be 2-2.5. I can definitely linearly progress intensity and/or duration of my interval (Sweet Spot, FTP or VO2max, depending on where I’m at) workouts, but my week(s) are usually varied during the summer when I have family commitments that I may not have in the winter (where I can do a nice linear progression on weekly time).

Tell me your method?

1 Like

Folks, with all due respect, but I’m sure there are plenty of other threads where you can tell about your training. This thread is about pro/elite training.

14 Likes

Egan Bernal ramping up training gently, 3h, 7h, 20h, 30h

Biggest ride 6.5h, most rides at low intenisty 50%-60% (per Strava numbers). He seems to be doing another cycle of base ahead of La Vuelta that starts in about 40days, let us see when he adds some intensity.

10 Likes

Egan is back in Europe. 22 hour week. Ramping up a bit the intensity to medio in certain climbs.

2 Likes

Anna… im super happy today, i guess you know why, but you are always welcome back to this topic to ask stupid questions, also some answers are welcome if you have :slight_smile:

16 Likes

I didn’t connect the dots until seeing this. @Anna_K , wow!

9 Likes

So impressive @Anna_K congratulations!

3 Likes

Nate Wilson (who wrote the Will Barta and Matteo articles), posted a blog post about a day at altitude camp. I’ve done 30/30s on either side of a tempo effort. It surely spices it up.

The big takeaway ‘The truth of it is that no one day is magical. It’s the sum of a bunch of mediocre days that end up making a big difference.’

@Anna_K :1st_place_medal::trophy::muscle::mountain_biking_woman:t3:

11 Likes

Big congrats @Anna_K You provided one of the most interesting races I’ve come across!

5 Likes

Another congratulations to @Anna_K! Once in a lifetime chance and you did it!

2 Likes

Congratulations @Anna_K!

3 Likes

What is more impressive is to look at Mrs. Kiesenhofer google scholar page. Wow, a true all rounder. Congrats @Anna_K

10 Likes

After putting a 32h week, Egan is back with some intensity in the hills of Monaco. 2 sets of 20 min of some sort of over-unders. I can’t wait for LaVuelta. Egan, Carapaz, Martinez, Pidcock, Roglic.

Cheers

5 Likes

Thanks guys! :wink:

(Answers… I don’t have definitive answers to anything training-wise… I’ve actually become a bit lazy myself in terms of reading scientific literature on training… Perhaps the most important resource are one’s own training diaries and I have read and re-read my own during my prep for the big day.)

20 Likes

Glückwunsche aus Bayern, habe mir die letzten 50K live angeschaut. Was ein Rennen, selten so unterhalten worden.

But now the most important question, as you qualify clearly as elite, have you trained polarised, do you avoid "happy hard/no-Woman’s land/grey zone? :slight_smile:

The second most important question, do you train your endurance well below, below, at, around, above AeT/LT1? :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Well if your performance isn’t appropriate for a ‘successful athletes’ podcast then nobody’s performance is. One of the most memorable Olympic victories since the Miracle on Ice.

4 Likes

@Anna_K we would appreciate hearing your thoughts!

You are one of my true Olympic heroes!!! I’m going to search YouTube again and hope the interview is online

2 Likes