Prioritizing long term improvement over this season's race results?

Update: Last week was a big one for me!

I graduated from university with a BSE in Mechatronics and Photonics Engineering, and I did my first “race” of the season.

On 14/2/21 I did the KISS100 B race and it was a crazy introduction to the world of zwift racing. I stuck with the group for pretty much the whole race and only dropped off in the last 2km. I’m sure I was nowhere near as efficient as I could have been and wasted a tone of energy (see all the spikes in the 30s power chart below) but in the end it was an epic workout. I averaged 299 watts for 2h20m which was the real win of the day.

This ended up smashing a bunch of lifetime PR’s for durations between 45m and 2h20m by almost 50W! My next medium term goal is to get to 4W/kg for an effort like this, which at 80kg is 320W.

The best part about it was that, even though it was hard, it didn’t destroy me and I was able to do my normal 2h Z2 workout today (Tuesday, 16/2/21). Over the whole race I had average HR decoupling of about 5% which just goes to show that these hours in the saddle riding Z2 are paying off.

Now, I have another week in my training block and on to a bit of rest. After that, I will probably do some testing in my March block, and if all goes well with travel and accommodations, in April its either Spain for some outdoor training or Belgium for racing.

4 Likes