PowerMatch Experiences

Question re: the new PowerMatch for @IvyAudrain or any of the other @trainerroad team. After a while out of the fold, I did my first ride back on Erg mode with PowerMatch last evening. I left everything on the default settings with the “New” PowerMatch. While the power with my Tacx Flux S and Quarq DZero felt pretty smooth, there were times where the power felt like it was “wandering” a bit. When I would up my cadence a bit, my workout set at 245ish would feel more like 230ish for a bit, even though the reading of 245 would stay consistent. Subsequently, it would feel like 255ish when my cadence would drop. To put it another way, as the power wandered for about 1 minute at a time, it felt like there was a noticeable difference in effort in my legs, either easier or harder, though the averages ultimately seemed right. It was never that far off, just a little noticeable difference.

I calibrated the Quarq before the ride, but I did not spin down or calibrate the Flux S.

I’m going to give it a few rides before I do anything, but is there any setting in particular that I should look at if this becomes more of an issue?

EDIT: On a semi-related front, does the power meter still read as the power source, and does PowerMatch still control the resistance level of the smart trainer when turning off Erg mode and riding in Resistance Mode?

Thanks!

Defintely reach out to support. There could be a setting, calibration needed, or firmware update available for any combination of your devices. The team is great at looking at those moments on your internal ride log when things may be going wrong, and isolating why if there is something amiss. Send an email to support@trainerroad.com with your aforementioned experience and the workouts/dates where it was noticeable, they’d be stoked to help you out. :raised_hands:

Anyone using TR Powermatch with the combo Favero Assioma Duo and Tacx Neo 2T? Any issues? what is your advice?
Since I am new to TR I am thinking to do my next ramp test and workouts using powermatch. Thank you very much in advance for your input.

I use a pair of duos with a neo 1.

No issues and no need for advice. It just works

1 Like

Perfect, thanks.

What is better to use with powermatch, ANT+ or Bluetooth? Considering getting an ANT+ stick for my laptop.

for me BLT works extremly good, Vector 3 and Neo2 connected both with BLT on my Macmini, no droputs, sometimes i record with Garmin Edge 830 too, where Vector 3 is connected with ANT+ at the same time

I’m using Rally Powermeter and Kickr Core. Powermeter and Trainer connected via Bluetooth to Laptop and Powermeter also via ANT+ to Edge 1030 Plus. This is what my first ride with PM looks like:

the bigger spikes in the first half are from standing up/sitting down and the change in cadence that comes with that (I’m 100 rpm sitting and more like 60/70 standing). The one big in the second half is from getting off and on the trainer. Probably works well enough?

the most important thing is the feeling for you during the workout himself, resistance, smooth pedaling and so on, in the beginnig of new PM i compared NP on both reorded sessions TR vs Garmin and they looked very good +/- 1 to 2 Watt Difference, so i said = perfect

I may miss something here, but shouldn’t the recordings of TR and Garmin be exactly the same since they use the same power source?

hmmmm, sure, but i couldn’t start both recording sessions at the same time, mostly i start the Edge session a little bit before the TR session and when the TR session ends i wait 1 minute to stop the Edge sessions, so i don’t get conflicts with FIT File uploading to Strava, TrainingPeaks, etc., so i have a littel self made difference in NP :nerd_face:

Gendarme +3
Strange feeling not knowing when the intervals begin

What happened there?

I don t know
It s my first time with issues regarding power match between core and stages
Probably because there were short intervals(30/20)

1 Like

Ive had a bit of what you seem to have on short intervals too but never as much as you had :exploding_head: Sometimes in the past with the older powermatch I switched to resistance mode (easy on a laptop, ‘t’, less so on a phone) on short intervals to avoid that. Either with updating firmware or the new powermatch (or maybe both) it has settled down. I hope its just a one off for you and settles down too.

Please check in with support@trainerroad.com so they can take a look at your ride log from that workout and see what’s up!

I just did that

Thank you

1 Like

BLE is more responsive for me.
In fact it’s instantaneous.
ANT+ slight delay

I ramp the responsiveness up to 1.0 when the workout has short intervals (secs).
I dial it back to 0.5 for longer intervals (minutes).
Works very well for me.

Elite Direto XR and P1 pedals

Question for the group. I’m using a Kickr Core and Favero Assioma Duos with power match enabled.

I know not to expect perfect smoothness with the Assiomas, but just polling folks to see if the below vicissitudes are reasonable. It’s a bit frustrating that the average targets for the interval are off by about 6-8 watts in a 15 minute interval in erg mode (they always seen to read low–never high). I’d expect that for short intervals maybe, but I’d figure the average would balance out over 15 minutes. Also seems strange to bounce from around by 70ish watts between some of the readings. Any thoughts?

Full workout graph

15 minute interval

1 Like

I too tend to see higher fluctuations when on the Assiomas. I put it down to my pedaling style and the higher accuracy of the assioma? I’m not entirely sure… but the per-second variations on an Assioma is high.