Powerbanks for head units

Wondered what folks are using to increase the operational time of their head units on longer rides or events.
I have an Edge 820 that I need to use to navigate over a couple of long days but have no opportunity to recharge overnight. Two hundred mile days back to back around 7 or 8 hours travelling time.

Has anyone got any recommendations for a decent powerbank that’s low weight and compact. I have a bento box type bag that it can sit in. Funnily enough my ancient phone is less of a problem. :grin:

Thanks for any suggestions - and UK based.

Apologies if already answered, but couldn’t find anything already. :grin:

Cheers

When choose one don’t forget to include the length of the usb cable plugged into the power bank.

This is the voice of experience! I have to use a longer cable and store mine in a frame bag cos I didn’t measure it. Plus side, I guess my bento bag is now just for food and the pack hopefully won’t get sticky.

1 Like

I do multi-day MTB rides, often 12-16hrs of use per day, so …

Two smaller powerbanks are better than one large one since if one fails you can still use the other. Find the mAh of the 820’s battery, you lose around 10% charge moving that charge from one point to another, so if the 820’s battery is 2000mAh then you need somewhere around 2200mAh in your powerbank to fully charge the 820.

Look for “Angle up” (or maybe “Angle down”, can’t remember which one but it’s obvious from an image) cables - these have the mini-B connectors at right-angles so you the cable doesn’t stick out as far from the back of the unit. This means the cable can often stay in place whilst the unit is on the bike and also that it puts less strain on the connector mounting on the internal circuit board.

Anker are one of the better brands, I’ve also used Raav (sp?). Occasionally you come across a powerbank/device combination that simply doesn’t work: either the powerbank isn’t producing enough current to overcome the device’s internal resistance or the device doesn’t draw enough current to make the powerbank think there’s something attached! They are all based on 18650 cells so just tend to be multiples of the weight of one of those plus the main casing. Don’t bother with pass-through (where the battery acts as both source and sink at the same time) as they don’t last as long.

If you start with a fully charged unit and assuming that it lasts a whole day then one of the single cell powerbanks is likely to be enough to charge things for the second day.

2 Likes

I like any variation of the knog powerbank/light system. Knog

You can buy just the battery or battery and light head. It comes with a handlebar mount for secure mounting. From there I use around a 6" usb cable with angled connecters on both ends.

1 Like

This is an interesting thread. I was looking at the Garmin battery extender for the 1030, but it seems it is out of stock everywhere.

These power banks for our head unit, with this cord so that the cable doesn’t get pulled out.

Gorilla tape to adhere power bank to handlebars or stem.

These for our phones in jersey pocket.

This setup has achieved multiple >24-hr rides.

If we want ability to charge smaller micro-USB-chargeable NiteRider lights, we’ll use this power bank, which could also serve as power bank to the smaller power banks as necessary.

PS. We live in a motorhome and have owned 5 power banks ranging from 10000-30000mah and they all work fine. All different brands.

1 Like

I know this is more $$ but if I were to do this I probably would go this route with my Garmin.

24 hours of additional battery life and no messing with setup crap.

Then buy a cheap powerbank to charge it.

Thanks for all the suggestions I’ll have a closer look at them. The Edge 820 has a 700mAh battery as standard so even a pretty small powrbank has the potential to charge it a couple of times over.

@ericallenboyd I did see the Garmin power thingy but think that a power bank can also charge lights and phones. And as I have an Edge 820 it would have to be connected by a cable rather than via the contacts on top. If I had a newer Garminhead unit it’d work that way.

@bobw thanks for the advice on capacity and getting two, the cables and brands. I’d heard of Anker before so nice to get additional confirmation.

@cwiggum - like the knog suggestion as it’ll double as a light.

@Dr_Alex_Harrison thanks for all the links there.

I’ll go with a power bank and either a big standard one or a knog one though the lights don’t get great reviews. I was in the market for a new head light but managed to replace the chargeable battery in my Lezyne two days ago but front lights are always a good idea… :grin: :+1:t2:

Cheers all.

2 Likes

Cheers and makes sense. Have fun on your ride

1 Like

I don’t think the 820 has the necessary connections in the mount to accept the Garmin Charge. Only the 530/830/1030.

Yep - this is what I said in my earlier post. So a cable would be needed.

Powerbanks like most things involve rabbit holes. :grin:

I was pondering this in the context of an Everesting earlier this year. In the end, I simply went out and bought a new Garmin Edge 1030 plus and a cheap powerbank that I found in Amazon.

The Everesting took 18 hours in total. When I finished, the Garmin still had 70% charge remaining. Ok, I had turned off navigation as it’s not really relevant when riding up and down the same hill, but everything else was per normal.

No need for the powerbank, other than charging the iPhone! I was pretty impressed.

1 Like

The main reason I need this is for navigation otherwise it’d be OK as is. I’m trying a new route out so want to make sure it’ll give me the turn points etc.along the route and maybe even power data on some of the longer climbs so I can avoid digging a big hole by just sitting in. :grin:

We’re also doing a festival at the end of August with the kids so a power bank would be helpful then to keep phones topped up.

Just can’t afford a new head unit at the moment. :slightly_frowning_face:

I bought a Garmin extended battery pack. It is really good. It is a shame it need the out front mount. It might make adding a Go Pro harder. Saying that, I hadn’t realised, but it can also power a Go Pro as well.