Power Meters for MTB

Probably the SRM X-Power.

http://www.srm.de/product/x-power/

I’ve been using a NGECO P2Max on my Spec Epic and so far I love it. I’ve never had any connection problems and the reliability is rock solid. I ride in rough terrain (lots of sand, rocks, …) but the powemeter never failed.

It could be the SRM PM or something from Quarq as that bike belongs to Kate Courtney who is sponsored by SRAM.

2 Likes

I have used the Cinch PM and it has worked great for 3 years now. Battery lasts quite a long time. No spikes.

1 Like

Have any gravity-based folks used power meters on their longer travel bikes? I bought a Stages meter for my XT cranks on my Ransom 910 (alloy rear end) and it doesn’t clear the chainstay. I’m trying to figure out what else would work for next year as I really like doing at least a portion of my intervals outside on my race bike. The options I’ve come up with are:

• Raceface Cinch

• Power2Max (I believe these work with all SRAM and Truvativ cranks but I’d love someone to confirm that).

I would love a Quarq but as far as I know they don’t work with anything but XX1 cranks which I don’t feel comfortable with on my Enduro rig. Anyone have any other suggestions that will clear beefy chainstays?

I bet the XX1 cranks would tolerate the abuse of enduro as I’ve seen them spec’d on some enduro bikes.

I reckon the Quarq would be strong enough, but what I really came to say was that if your crank is 175mm and you want to sell it… let me know.

Have been doing some digging lately.

The options for the GX / X1 cranks are:

Stages left arm
Power2Max spindle
Replace cranks with XX1 / Quarq
Replace cranks with Rotor InPower

I am sure there may be others. I decided to go for the Rotor option - mainly to get it all done at the dealer as part of the bike prep. Also I like that it is crank based, so should have some additional protection.

I think the power2max option is appealing too.

I’m terrible with all of the standards and whatnot but whats the difference between these two?

I think one difference is that Dfour is for Shimano chainrings, with four bolts and the Dzero is for other chainrings, with five bolts.

I can’t view the links due to my location, but from the title, the DFour is for Shimano road rings and the XX1 is for the MTB.

I’ve had decent luck with the Cinch. If you go that route I’d recommend a Turbine Crank set if you’re not chasing grams. I’ve run the Next Rs with a Cinch. the meter failed once but they replaced it. I’m more XC than enduro but I’ve taken this set up on some pretty rock smashy trails. There’s no shortage of Next cranks failing in the field, so take this for what it’s worth, hence recommending the Turbines. I like that the meter is housed in BB. So far the only issue I’ve had with the newest set up was a crank arm coming loose - I chalked that up to bad maintenance. Tightened things back up and no issues since.

I’m sure they would be, but I’ve yet to run carbon cranks on my mountain bike due to all the rock smashing. I’m sure I’d get over the fear/stigma but would definitely prefer something a bit beefier.

Unfortunately mine are 170 mm, and they’re also the older XTs (m8000 I think?)

1 Like

That’s a good roundup. I believe there’s also 4iiii but there’s no more clearance with those over a stages meter (mine is soooo close, damn alloy chainstays!)

Did you go the standard InPower route or get the fancy 2InPower? The 2InPower are a bit out of my reach at the moment financially but look like a great option.

That’s good to hear you’ve had good luck. That’s probably how I’m leaning. The Turbine’s are less than 100g heavier than the Next Rs too which is awesome and I think as light as the XTRs on my XC bike?

I decided to go with standard. There are some good deals at the moment - at least here in UK

£566 for the entire crankset including chain ring. My dealer gives me £150 for the GX crankset currently on the bike - so all in it only cost £416 to add the power meter.

Yeah, I was surprised to see that the Turbines list in the same range as XTR, lighter even than some XTR versions. If I was building a longer travel bike, I’d probably use Turbine cranks regardless of PM.

@ibaldwin the problem I have is XTR cranks are so shiny… :sweat_smile: But the Turbines will probably be my next purchase when I rebuild the bike this winter with a full XT 12 speed and some suspension upgrades. People think I’m crazy for putting a PM on my enduro bike but I love having it personally.

Weirdly enough my XTR M9020s cleared the back end of my aluminum Sentinel just fine but not the Ransom (I heard the Tuned version with the carbon rear triangle is fine though).

2 Likes

Oh, I hear you. The Turbines are the opposite of flashy, that’s for sure. I have always loved Shimano cranks but I’ve been on the RF plan since I started using the Cinch PM. And, similar situation as you, I threw down a massive chunk of change for the eWings and Stages PM - the bike I had at the time, '17 Norco Optic w/ alloy stays, the PM didn’t even come close to clearing the frame. So, I had to return those cranks sadly as I need the PM on the bike and went to the Cinch system. I’m super wary of the durability issues with the Next series cranks however, knock on wood, they’ve been OK for me. Granted, I’m not training for enduro racing so take that for what it’s worth.

Just curious as to the main driver to put a PM on your bike?

Man that would be so disappointing. If I were to ever do a dream build, those cranks with the PM would make it on whatever frame it was. Dumb question but do you do most of your training on the cinch equipped bikes? If not do they read pretty close to your main training bike? I jump back and forth between my road bike (mostly on the trainer), XC bike outside for intervals and the Enduro bike. I usually stick with the big bike for easy days and just go by RPE and HR but would really like to do intervals on the bike I’m racing on as we have a ton of good fireroad approaches to trails in Bend. But above all I’m a huge nerd and like to have the data. This year I haven’t trained for anything specifically thanks to a mid-season move. We were in Denver before and all the Colorado races are mid to late summer and just about everything in Oregon got cancelled and is typically late spring to early summer too.