Polarised training too easy

I really disagree with this. Again and again seiler brings up individual case studies for guys and gals, "logging minutes " around 90% hr max while having the control to have 1 or 2 more reps in the tank. His article that studied the various interval lengths was different than what was going on in his research sincec those were maximal efforts. That study was to show that longer efforts at a lower intensity still had a potent and even higher stimulus than the shorter and harder intervals.

Is a 6x10 workout really much above lt2? Considering it is at an intensity that leaves 1 or 2 reps in the tank and stays below 95% hrmax. That’s one of his most often quoted workouts of a Norwegian rower.

Exactly, the intense days in the pol plans look like a random mish mash of vo2 and threshold work. Not a simple linear progression you would expect from his research.

The million dollar question isn’t it? Maybe quantifiable in a vacuum, but with all the life-stuff off the bike it’s impossible. Maybe TR’s data set could reveal some generalized figures.

This is one (of many) reasons why hiring a coach can be helpful.

In hindsight I don’t regret not hiring a coach, but it may have created more efficiencies in my own training early on that I’m just now figuring out after experimentation, and doing my own research.

1 Like

The problem is (my personal opinion) that with z2 + one type of vo2 max intervals (4x8) you loose specificity. You will see gains in FTP and vo2 max (probably) but then there is repetability, sprinting, long threshold etc etc. That is why I would mix and match hard efforts to touch different zones from threshold to above. So it will end as a pyramidal distribution probably :wink:

Well, there’s also periodization, which people tend to forget when getting lost in the weeds of polarized.

2 Likes

Yes but then we are coming back that polarized is not z2 with 4x8 done over and over, all year long. And it is in heads of many people. But maybe I am wrong, especially I have no credentials to support my opinion :slight_smile:

I don’t think you’re wrong. Evidence is in the form of Mr Polarized himself not doing Z2 + 4x8 (or 4x4 or 4x16) all year long every year. I don’t think you’d be a well rounded cyclist following a protocol like this all season long. Does anyone hate themselves that much to attempt it?

1 Like