Planning Question - Seasonally Super Busy w/ Work Feb 15-Apr 15

Hi - I recently discovered the TR podcast, which is of course leading me to go from just getting on my bike and Zwifting as much as I have the time and motivation for, to wanting to dig into a training plan for (hopeful) summer 2021 rides on the calendar.

However, every year between Feb. 15th and Apr. 15th I work 70 hrs/wk of desk work. That leaves just enough time for good sleep, and 30-40 minutes of exercise a day. Looking at the low volume plans with 60-90 minute workouts three days a week, that works from a weekly time commitment. However, I often have issues sleeping if I don’t get exercise every day, so I don’t like to stack that weekly time up on fewer than 6 days. Is there some way a TR plan can be scheduled with 30-45 minute training blocks? I can easily fill the off-days with other workouts, including running and strength training.

After April 15th work calms down for the rest of the year, and this is no longer an issue. Currently planning on a couple gran fondos. Normally I’d do Triple Bypass, but the date doesn’t work for me this year, so probably doing Copper Triangle instead. I used to live in Colorado, but now live in flat land, but I like to get out to the mountains for at least one big ride each year. But who knows where TR might lead me.

Thanks for the help, looking forward to kicking things off with TR!

Check out the time crunched plans. They’re buried in Speciality —> Enthusiast.

2 Likes

Hi These are the workouts that are Sweetspot and less than 45min.

Carillon -5
Carillon -5
SweetSpot
0:30:00
DURATION
TSS®
IF®
kJ(Cal)
Details: The time-crunched version of Carillon is made up of 2x10-minute Criss-Cross intervals where the valleys idle between 88-90% FTP for 2 minutes, then 30-second surges rise to 92-95% FTP as each interval weaves back and forth across the Sweet Spot power range.1 minute of rec…
Read More

Carson -5
Carson -5
SweetSpot
DURATION
TSS®
IF®
kJ(Cal)
Details: The time-crunched version of Carson consists of 3 intervals between 88-94% FTP ranging from 5-7 minutes and totaling 18 minutes of Sweet Spot work. Each interval is separated by 2-minute recoveries.Optional hill climbing drills are included as is some optional muscle cont…
Read More

Ericsson -5
Ericsson -5
SweetSpot
DURATION
TSS®
IF®
kJ(Cal)
Details: The time-crunched version of Ericsson is 4x5-minute intervals between 88-94% FTP where riders begin with a slightly quicker-than-usual spin for the first 2 minutes, increase their pedal speed for the following 2 minutes, and then spin all-out for the final minute.The reco…
Read More

Geiger -5
SweetSpot
0:29:00
DURATION
TSS®
IF®
kJ(Cal)
Details: The time-crunched version of Geiger is 2x12-minute efforts spent in the Sweet Spot (88-94% FTP), a little harder than Tempo work but not as exhausting as Threshold work.Recovery between efforts is brief, just 1 quick minute.

Goddard -5
Goddard -5
SweetSpot
DURATION
TSS®
IF®
kJ(Cal)
Details: The time-crunched version of Goddard consists largely of Form Sprints and Cadence Spin-Ups with a bit of recovery sprinkled on top.You’ll first face 7x30-second Form Sprints with 60 seconds of rest between each.Then, you’ll finish with 2x6-minute Cadence Spin-Ups with 2 m…
Read More

Monitor -5
Monitor -5
SweetSpot
DURATION
TSS®
IF®
kJ(Cal)
Details: The time-crunched version of Monitor is 4x6-minute intervals of rolling Sweet Spot (88-94% FTP) with really brief, 30-second recoveries between intervals.

Tunnabora -5
Tunnabora -5
SweetSpot
DURATION
TSS®
IF®
kJ(Cal)
Details: The time-crunched version of Tunnabora consists of 3x5-minute sets of decreasing then increasing watts from 94-88-94% FTP in 1-minute steps to allow cadence changes over the course of each interval.The recoveries between intervals last 3 minutes.

1 Like

Any thoughts on plans the month before the time restricted two months, other than just pretending the restricted time isn’t there?

Hi
It sounds as if you should almost be aiming to peak on the 15th of Feb 2021. It depends where you are just now, I would do 6 weeks of build High Volume, you know you are going to get 2 months if you need to recover.

1 Like