Planning 2022 Race Season

I’m looking for a little input on the structure of my season. My ultimate “A” race is the Shenandoah 100 on September 3rd. I also have an “A” race scheduled for May 3rd, which is the Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventure Race. This is technically more of a “B+” race, but I would like to be in the best shape possible for it.

So my first question is: Should I change PMBAR to a B race, and allow my plan to build me in the best way possible for SM100… or is peaking that far apart okay?

Second question: I am considering adding in the wilderness 101 on July 23rd as a primer for SM100. Figure it could be a good opportunity to test out nutrition and pacing. I would put it in as a B race, but do not want to interfere with my ultimate goal at SM100. Would that be advisable?

Thanks for your input!

1 Like

I think peaking twice 5 months out is probably going to be fine. For the wilderness 101 as a B race, that’s probably OK too. I’ve not done any of the 100s listed, but I’ve done PMBAR maybe 6 times. Prepare for that being harder than the 100s… that’s based on comments from friends who have done both.

PMBAR is just so much of an effort calling it a B race almost seems like that could be more counter-productive. I will say, I needed an extra couple of weeks before I felt like myself after those. I think the biggest PMBAR I did was 87 miles. None of it was easy mileage either.

I’d be more careful with using the 101 as a B race primer, than considering PMBAR a second A race based on the timing of it all.

Thank you for the input!

I have done PMBAR 3 times in the past, and have done SM100 as well. I agree that PMBAR is harder :rofl: I currently have it in my plan as an A race just due to the extreme difficulty.

1 Like

Have you plugged both options into Plan Builder? Are you starting from scratch or are you currently training? My concern would be shifting your plan to build and specialty to get ready for PMBAR without having a solid base.

I have been using plan builder, but haven’t plugged in PMBAR as a B race yet to see what that looks like. I’ll have to give that a go.

I have been training, and am about to finish SSB2 and go into build. Currently I have a build and a specialty phase before PMBAR.

1 Like

I don’t think you’d have any problem doing 2 A races and the Wilderness 101 race as a B race. Plenty of time between all the events.

2 Likes