Paris-Roubaix 2022

Alex? Alex? Who the @#&% is Alex?

4 Likes

Respectfully this seems like pure conjecture. Also # of flats is probably more associated with overall conditions than tire choice. Faster races = more flats

Two (maybe three?) years ago Sagan got knocked out of the race-winning move due to an electronic cable being knocked loose. He then rode mechanical the next year. I wonder if teams chose mechanical group-sets over their Di2 options, which might mean some degree of external cable routing.

2 Likes

Well yeah…I pretty much said it was. But that is how you begin to assess what happened. Look at the available information, form a thesis and see if the evidence supports it or not.

I’ll also note that you clipped one part of what I said led me to my initial assessment.

1 Like

Reinforcement of how absolutely non existent my bike handling skills are relative to professionals. I would have been in the fetal position in the middle of the cobblestones, while he casually unclips and jogs along.

Jumbo was on tubulars, and they had plenty of flats. Ineos was on tubeless and had plenty of flats. Just seems like it was that kind of year.

3 Likes

Regarding the commentary on Peacock (NBC):

Phil L needs to retire. I used to be a fan, but not anymore. :frowning:

4 Likes

Agreed 100%…he is long past his “Use By” date. And he will always be the OG of cycling coverage, but it is time to retire. He rambles aimlessly, misses critical action and often doesn’t even know who the riders are.

NBC Sports / Peacock has been mailing it in for a decade now. Same tired formula, same tired commentators.

So many better commentators and formats out there now to cover cycling…I avoid Peacock at all costs now. It is just irritating to watch.

6 Likes

Sadly I will have to agree re: Phil L. Seems he was off point a few times. Also not sure having Bob Roll along with him complements each other’s commentary. I like Bob in the early days when he was more off the wall wacky, but I get it for the sake of viewers.

2 Likes

I was disappointed when I saw it was on NBC/Peacock. The commentators on Flobikes are my favorite, then GCN. Phil is struggling. Bob just doesn’t have the panache of the European commentators. It’s similar to the difference between commentators for the Premier League and MLS. They just add class and excitement to it.

Need more CVV

2 Likes

2 Likes

I said this a few years ago (even with Paul Sherwen, RIP, who had been carrying Liggett for a few years). I do think though it would be great if they gave Phil a role in the coverage (particularly of big races like Giro, TdF, and Paris-Roubaix). Let him prepare special “back in the day” / “history of the sport” pieces and intersperse them throughout broadcast. My first exposure to cycling was Phil Liggett and those “didn’t age very well” John Tesh soundtracks. Very fond memories. I certainly don’t want to kick the guy to the curb but it’s really difficult to hear him and Bob Roll talk over each other and then when they finally clear up what one of them wants to say it doesn’t really add anything.

One thing streaming and access to more coverage has brought is an increased understanding from American cycling fans. As such, I now expect commentators to be on par with Eurosport, etc. I loved it a few years ago when I could watch the commercial-free “aussie feed” of TdF (for example) w/ Robbie McEwen and Matthew Keenan on NBC. Simon Gerrans was great as well that first year of lockdown.

And for one-day / spring classics, NBC / Peacock doesn’t have any business even trying. Those races are for true cycling fans. Leave it to Flobikes, GCN, etc.

Might have get all VPN-y pretty soon so I can hear some decent coverage.

They need to do something like the manning brothers. Get Tom Boonen and Fabian in there and b/s.

For grand tours get 2 GC guys and bring on guests.

Think outside the box.

2 Likes

Liggett is now the John Madden of cycling.

4 Likes

GCN plus ProtonVPN. I didn’t know Liggett was even still working, I thought he retired years ago. I wonder if Phil + Bob is as bad as Bob + Chris Horner a year or two ago, that was a dumpster fire…

3 Likes

During the TdF, they bring aboard Jens Voight and a few others. Why can’t NBC/Peacock use them all year round or exclusive events like this? I’m curious if Jens is busy riding/coaching or doing other networks? I do think its time for NBC to revamp their analysts/commentators. It’s nice to have coverage but I’m not going to pay extra yet for additional streaming packages. Soon though after this wakeup call…

1 Like

It is not quite that bad…but it is getting close. :grimacing:

1 Like

Sorry I got us off-topic guys. Agree with all comments. Horner is fine….on YouTube :joy:

I’m actually rewatching last 20km tonight. Great race this year

Next time. Cheers

Hannah Walker and Ant McCrossan were so much better for the Paris-Roubaix Femmes on the Saturday

6 Likes